Old 05-02-2009, 02:35 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

Tacking on to my own post -- I guess my cousin's kind of on my mind today because my gran sent out a bunch of childhood pics from when all of us, in varying teenage stages, were spending summers together. My husband expressed surprise to see my cousin, clearly fat at around 16 years old. She is actually an adult athlete, not very famous but well-known where she is for her sleekness and athleticism. I know he wouldn't even have even recognized her in the pictures if not for the fact that she's a different ethnicity than the rest of us kids. Anyway, just musing. That will be you, star2be!

Luvmy3 and others ... I too keep it low key, though mostly for other, more general reasons ... but it's only recently that my husband has been verbally encouraging, and I know it's because he thought I wouldn't go this far/all the way.

He says it's just that he doesn't want to make a big deal and then have it be like he thought I was fat ... but the subtext I hear is that the caution/casualness is in case I stay fat/get fat again.
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:14 AM   #47  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
I have lost and regained - at least 3 times. And it's terrible. But at no time did I ever say "this isn't worth it." It's more of an insidious slide into former habits/lifestyle (well, one time it was a huge binge and then a quick jump back into my old lifestyle).

Mostly for me, it was just wanting to "diet" then "be normal." Diets were something people went ON then OFF. It has only been recently there has been more talk about "way of life" or "lifestyle change." I hadn't really made the connection that I couldn't get longterm results by temporary methods. Once I made that click - well, here I am! 4 years at goal weight
When I mention that I haven't lost and regained, lost and regained and lost, it's not a judgement on others that have. It's just that it was not the case with me. Dopey me. It's taken me 20+ years to even make one good attempt at it. So therefore, I just really have no experience with the "re-gain".

Having lost the weight THIS time (my only time), I am just so thoroughly and completely "into it", that I can't imagine me ever backslliding ALL the way up to 287 lbs again, that's just how committed I am to this lifestyle. But I do know that it happens.

I am aware of the focus that is needed to maintain this lifestyle and all that it entails.

But here's the thing. I really and truly enjoy every little aspect of this lifestyle. I've learned to enjoy the process. I can't speak for Oprah or Kirstie, or anyone else for that matter. But for me, not only do I enjoy being thin, but I've learned to love each and every thing about staying thin.

I haven't watched Oprah in a while, but she always used to complain about exercising. She always has someone cooking her meals for her, doesn't do the shopping, the planning, etc. Yeah, I actually enjoy those things. It makes what I'm doing more meaningful. I spend a lot of time and effort on this, leaving this very important task (a healthy lifestyle) to no one but myself.

Just for starters.

I love the planning and even the shopping and cooking and all of that stuff. LOVE it. I am a great cook if I do say so myself and I LOVE cooking healthy meals for myself and my friends and family. I don't look at is a burden.

I am without a doubt a bigger "foodie" now then I was before. I love the food I'm eating. Love it, love it, LOVE it.

I LOVE entertaining and trying out my "recipes" on my friends. I love all things kitchen and dining room related. I love all my different serving platters and bowls, water pitcher, silverware and dishes, etc . Beautiful linens, elegant candle sticks. I love scouting around the stores for new kitchen gadgets and new items to enhance my dining experience.

I LOVE the fact that I exercise and am physically active. I don't look at it as a burden, but as a privilege. And I actually get to (can) do it! I mean I'm actually excited by it. Of course there are times when I'd rather be doing other things, but not all that often. It's just become what "I do" and skipping it is not an option.

I never feel deprived when I choose not to eat xyz. I willingly pass up on "that" stuff. It's not "Poor me, Oh I can't eat this and I can't eat that". (99.9% of the time, anyway) Heck I CHOOSE not to eat so and so. It's my choice. And I love, love, love that I am "choosy". And particular and careful and sensible and responsible and that I eat so darn intelligently.

I get great pleasure from sticking to my plan in and of itself, never mind that it produces a slim me, but just sticking to my plan is enjoyable to me. So yes, I actually enjoy eating this way. When ever I go off plan (& I do), I am always relieved to be BACK on plan, as that's when I'm at my happiest.

I love reading up on health and fitness. I love healthy cookbooks and magazines.

I love everything about this lifestyle.

I've sort of made this my "hobby", so to speak. It is not something that I dread. I look forward to each and every morning living this healthy lifestyle. Not only am I committed to this lifestyle, but I thoroughly enjoy this lifestyle. Could that perhaps be the difference? I don't know. But I would tell people to really, really "get into it". Embrace it. Own it. Celebrate it.

And Rhonda, listen to our dear Meg. Don't you for one second think that losing weight and MAINTAINING it can't be done. Losing weight and yes, keeping it off is a doable thing. You of course just have to CHOOSE to do it. And of course, keep on choosing to do it. It's within your hands. Your power. Your control. As long as you WANT to keep the weight off - you'll keep it off.

I have my 2 year anniversary of maintaining my loss coming up in early July. It was my choice to get and stay fat. It was then also my choice to get slim and now it's my choice to continue to stay slim. I've chosen it for 2 years. And I'm going to keep on choosing it. Luckily, it's up to me. Me. Me. & Me.

We get to choose. We actually get to choose to remain slim! I think that's something to feel excited about.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 05-03-2009 at 08:15 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:05 AM   #48  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

Thank you for this thread.

It has definately given me some "food" for thought on how to tweek and enjoy my journey. This has been my first true and honest attempt at alterning my lifestyle. It has been a slow year with only a 20 lb loss and I have been up and down on the 25-30 lb mark for 5 months. I am continuing to learn and take baby steps. When I look at the last 5 months I can either choose to give up, OR choose to keep trying. I keep looking at the big picture and as long as the scale is going down overall I am pleased.

Currently I either have the exercise on on plan or on plan food. I have not been able to get both on plan together. But I keep working on it.

Like rockinrobin I love meal planning and cooking. I love the time I spend online looking for new recipies. Today was homemade whole grain pancake mix. Store bought has so much sugar! I am also rediscovering all the sports I love. Bike riding, baseball, swimming etc. I am learing to enjoy the gym. Its easier now that the room does not look like a modern art metal display. And that each machine has a function and I know what it is and how to do it!

I beg that those who read this thread to not be discouraged. Take the advise to heart. Learn from observing others mistakes and successes. We can work together so that we all can have a healthier life.

Thanks to 3FC for making available this tool to us! It is a source of continued help, support and education!
JuliaDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:04 AM   #49  

Height: 5'11"

I don't know many people who have enjoyed significant weight loss and who have kept it off in my "real" life, so it has been immensley encouraging for me to come here and see dozens of people who HAVE lost a lot of weight and are keeping it off in a healthy, happy way. Before I came here, I honestly don't know if I even thought it was possible. Thanks to 3FC, now I DO know that it's possible and I am so grateful for that because it's what keeps me going.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:12 AM   #50  
Doing it.

S/C/G: 208/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6"

I can't help but wish Robin would put out a cookbook...
Jeannette311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #51  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannette311 View Post
I can't help but wish Robin would put out a cookbook...
Oh that's funny. Thank you. I've actually been approached and after serious consideration, turned it down. Wasn't exactly what I had had in mind. But there is a book brewing in my head.

I made 2 new fantastic dishes this weekend. I'll get them up in a day or 2. Been posting on the Maintainer's recipe thread.

But really, I think you've got to make this whole lifestyle EXPERIENCE interesting. And exciting. Face it with zeal. Become passionate about it. Find the absolute joy in it. Revel in it. Because it's a lovely way to live.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #52  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitePicketFences View Post
Star2be, think of your age and lack of prior weight loss this way: You are essentially starting your adult life as a thin person. You will be thin for your entire adult life! The weight will be relegated to the memory of a few relatives who know "you were a chunky child." Like so many were ... It's the extra weight that is your blip on the screen!

I had a cousin who was always overweight when we were growing up, and she trimmed down tremendously sometime in her late teens. Now she's in her early 30s, a few years older than I am, and she has simply always been a thin and very active adult. That's her identity; that's how almost everyone in her life knows her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitePicketFences View Post
Tacking on to my own post -- I guess my cousin's kind of on my mind today because my gran sent out a bunch of childhood pics from when all of us, in varying teenage stages, were spending summers together. My husband expressed surprise to see my cousin, clearly fat at around 16 years old. She is actually an adult athlete, not very famous but well-known where she is for her sleekness and athleticism. I know he wouldn't even have even recognized her in the pictures if not for the fact that she's a different ethnicity than the rest of us kids. Anyway, just musing. That will be you, star2be!
Wow, thank you so much for posting this, WhitePicketFences!! I feel so encouraged from reading that; I think I just had a bit of an "a-ha!" moment. It never really occurred to me to think of my age as being a positive thing--I've been pretty focused on thinking that I have sooo many years of maintenance ahead of me, but instead it's *so* much better to think of it the way you've explained it! Because I'm doing this so young, when I get older I really have been a normal, healthy person for most of life! The majority of people who I'll meet won't think of me as the obese teenager/young woman (or even know that that Meredith ever existed--what a thought!), but instead they'll think of me as a normal person... It's kind of cool to know that because I'm so young, I still have time to totally reinvent myself! I've identified myself as this obese person my whole life, but the REST of my life can be completely different. It's all full of possibilities... Hehe!

Thanks again! I think your post(s) was exactly what I needed to soothe my fear of relapsing, at least for now.
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:40 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 272/258/160

Height: 5'6

I actually reached damn near goal myself a couple of years ago. Then I gained over a hundred pounds during pregnancy and afterwards almost four years now. I was so much more energetic and HAPPY. I am on my way back down, just lost ten pounds with the help of consistency, low carb intake and exercise. I hope not to be in her shoes or the FAT me shoes again!!!
mickeysofyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:36 PM   #54  
Doing it.

S/C/G: 208/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Oh that's funny. Thank you. I've actually been approached and after serious consideration, turned it down. Wasn't exactly what I had had in mind. But there is a book brewing in my head.

I made 2 new fantastic dishes this weekend. I'll get them up in a day or 2. Been posting on the Maintainer's recipe thread.

But really, I think you've got to make this whole lifestyle EXPERIENCE interesting. And exciting. Face it with zeal. Become passionate about it. Find the absolute joy in it. Revel in it. Because it's a lovely way to live.
*whispers*

If you write it, they will come...

I really enjoy your posts. I've learned a lot from what you've posted, and I thank you for that!

Sorry to hijack the thread! LOL!

I feel bad for Kirstie, but I think she'll be okay. She's so relatable. I hope she pushes through this!
Jeannette311 is offline   Reply With Quote