Old 05-01-2009, 01:56 PM   #31  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

I read somewhere that in another country, there have been hundreds of thousands pigs whove been killed due to this scare.....if people would just liisten and read and not just "assume", they would know that the swine flu is not coming from pigs, it is just previously found in some pigs before.

I pray God will have mercy on the piggies and stop this nonsence. I wish I had a pig! I would treat it so well. Crazy you say? Not in the slightest...I just love all animals. Thats why I dont eat them.
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:46 PM   #32  
Workin' It

I should add to my original post to this - I'm like Junebug, I don't like people coming to work sick. In food service in GA now we actually have to send people home with certain symptoms or face a health code violation. So, I don't care what the actual illness, if someone comes in with symptoms on my 'exclude from workplace' list they have to go home. Health department could shut me down otherwise. The symptoms range from cold/flu symptoms to vomiting, diarrhea, fever, chills, some others. Swine flu, regular flu, foodborne illness, regular stomach virus, doesn't matter to me.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:57 PM   #33  
Bikini Season :)

What kills me about this whole swine flu thing is - it is less deadly - by far - than the regular flu!!!! but people do not get told to go home for the regular flu!!!
I work in a hospital and they are sending people home left and right, but if you had had the regular flu and tried to call in sick - they would have forced your hand to come in and work anyway - suggesting you get some dayquil on the way in!!
SOOOOOO ridiculous!
KateRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:49 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateRN View Post
I work in a hospital and they are sending people home left and right, but if you had had the regular flu and tried to call in sick - they would have forced your hand to come in and work anyway - suggesting you get some dayquil on the way in!!
Wow, that is so hard to believe. Plain old regular flu is deadly to elderly people, babies, and otherwise compromised people, as you said. Guaranteed that is not the hospital's official policy, and probably guaranteed they *are* killing people with that unofficial policy. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:54 PM   #35  
Bikini Season :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
Wow, that is so hard to believe. Plain old regular flu is deadly to elderly people, babies, and otherwise compromised people, as you said. Guaranteed that is not the hospital's official policy, and probably guaranteed they *are* killing people with that unofficial policy. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen.
yup! They will ask you to put on a mask to work, but unless you are really really really ill - you have to come in! But since everyone is so panicked about swine flu - not only are not allowed to come in - but you have spend 9 days away from work - not good for people like me who do not get PTO. i can't afford to take 2 weeks off work!! No real solution though! I think in general, people will lie about being ill to do what they need to do. We are screening all visitors who come into the hospital for being ill, but some people who are clearly ill will look you in the eye and *swear* they are "always" like this, to be able to visit granny. Sigh.
KateRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:06 PM   #36  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

What an amazing story. Getting VPN access some four months early because of a head cold!!!!!!

When this gets out, do you think people will start sniffling on purpose to jump ahead to get work-at-home privileges, LOL?
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:52 AM   #37  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

313 cases out of 6+ BILLION people is not a pandemic. I'm tired of all the scaremongering. How many of those people died of a head wound like Natasha Richardson? How many died of a GSW, septis, encephalitis, kidney failure, etc?

However, I will say it's good to remind people to wash their hands & cover their mouths & sneeze into a tissue. Those things have all seemed to go by the wayside over the last few years.

How is this different from the regular flu? Because if I'm reading correctly, coughing, chest & head congestion, fever, chills, the trots, sneezing, etc. This means we've had the swine flu @ my work for MONTHS. My boss refuses to send anyone home. "That is their PTO to use how they want." Not when the whole floor has been sick all winter it's not!

I myself have been on 2 rounds of antibiotics this year. Blech. I just hope this all blows over & no one else dies
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote