Old 04-26-2009, 06:14 AM   #1  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Talking The Bride is Wearing Red

Hi Folks,

I tend to lurk more than post but that doesn't mean I don't really appreciate the input and support of the great folks at 3FC.

I am getting married in 6 weeks. I picked out my flowers yesterday, Red roses, yellow orchids and mini sunflowers. I am wearing a red stretch knit cocktail length dress with matching thigh length jacket. My DF Mark is wearing a black suit with a red tie. We are gettig married in a 40's style supper club with about 30 friends and family in attendance.

I am very nervous about having all of those people looking at me. Part of being heavy is that it makes me feel invisible (weird huh). Of course wearing red knit jersey doesn't really help either. I was hoping you could offer encouragement and maybe some advice on where to get a shaper for under my dress in a 4-5x.

Thanks.

Denise aka activeadventurer
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:27 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 228/173/160

Height: 5 ft 5 inches

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. The 40's style theme sounds great! I am sure you will make a beautiful bride. Post pictures after the wedding!

Best Wishes on your marriage.
Lynn160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:32 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Do you have a Catherine's nearby. Last time I was in a Catherine's store they had spanx and another brand, and I'm pretty sure that one or both ran at least to a 5X (because I remember being surprised that they had them in my size)?
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:35 AM   #4  

Congratulations to you and your DF! My feelings about my looks were similar before my wedding day. I had this gorgeous gown, but wasn't happy that I had to walk down the aisle as a size 26. I thought people were going to be making comments involving my fatty arms or the words "giant snowball," when I had my back to them at the alter. But when that day actually came, these things couldn't have been further from the truth. I looked and felt beautiful that day. And everyone agreed! Looking back on my wedding pics I actually have a glow about me because I was just so damn happy about getting to marry DH. I assure you that everyone will be thinking the same thing on your wedding day - that you're a beautiful bride. I know you're going to look fantastic, especially in red! Besides, all of your insecurities will melt away when you see your DF for the first time at the end of the aisle, looking at you like you're the most beautiful woman in the entire world.

As for shapewear
I've used http://hipsandcurves.com a couple times with great success. I bought a couple shapewear items from them. Loved one, didn't like the other and sent it back for a refund with no problems.

Another site worth checking out right now is http://www.lanebryantcatalog.com/
They're liquidating their stock, and actually have some of the same bodyshapers that hipsandcurves has for significantly lower prices. I am not sure though what sizes they have left in stock, but it's worth a look.

And of course, don't forget checking into Spanx. They can be a godsend.
2fat2jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:41 AM   #5  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Congratulations! You are going to look gorgeous! Your wedding day really is all about you, so yes, all eyes will be on you, but everyone there loves you and your fiance and they will all be thinking about how happy and glowing you are, not how much you weigh. And if my sister's wedding is anything to go by, you'll be so rushed the whole time that you won't have a second to be self-conscious.

I haven't sprung for a body shaper yet (though I should), but Target has been recommended here before. They carry Spanx and also a store brand that's made by the same company, but cheaper.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:05 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 263/256/160

Height: 5'3"

Congrats on the wedding, I love theme weddings, I was married on Halloween and we did the whole Frankenstein and the Bride of Frankenstein. I think you will look absolutely wounderful in RED.
evillynn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:44 AM   #7  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Congratulations! I hope you have a wonderful day.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:53 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/145

Height: 5'9

Just want to say congrats! Your bouquet sounds beautiful and I'm sure you'll look stunning in red (so cute!!).
foxxy511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:52 AM   #9  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

CONGRATULATIONS! I am sure that you'll look beautiful. Have FUN on your so very special day!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 307/283/199

Height: 5'6"

Congratulations to you and your DF!

For under the dress shaping in large sizes, you might try WomanWithin -- they have a large variety of shapewear in extended sizes.

I apparently don't have enough posts to add a link, but try the Instant Shaping Long-Leg shaper at WomanWithin dot com -- the sizes go up to 10X.
KCMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #11  
Backpedaling!!

S/C/G: 276/250/176

Height: 5'4''

Congratulations!

I recommend Spanx, also. I got mine at Torrid for about $30... the shopgirl described them as being "made of spandex and magic" and she was so right. The pair I bought then are too big for me now, but while I needed them, they were wunderbar. They're designed with a long slit...uh, where you might expect and you don't have to take them down to use the ladies' (TMI ALERT*** not even to go #2). They only go from thigh to just beneath the breasts, so you can wear your own best bra and they won't smash your bosom flat.

I hope your marriage is as fabulous as you are!
freshmanweightorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:16 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I think your ceremony sounds fabulous!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #13  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Thanks all for the encouragement. I really need it!!!! I really appreciate people sharing their own wedding experiences. It is a real challenge for me to be so visible. In the end, as people said, I think I will love it and be caught up in how I feel about my beloved.

Thanks also for all of the shaper advice. I will definitely check it out! I am going to commit to post pictures in June. iIthink that will help motivate me.

DCM
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:20 PM   #14  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Congratulations!!! I would recommend Catherine's as well. They've always been very helpful to me.

Can't wait to see pics of this dress.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:39 PM   #15  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

Height: 5'7"

I have no advice at all, ActiveAdventurer, but huge amounts of best wishes and congratulations! You must be so excited! And you are going to make a positively ravishing bride, my dear --- your fiancée is one lucky dude!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Numina is offline   Reply With Quote