Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 08:50 AM   #1  

Unhappy Developed Diabeties

I have finally gotten the scare of my life...

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabeties. I am scaredl. No, I am terrified. I know this is a controllable disease. I know that I can fight it. But I am scared. When I was first diagnosed with PCOS, I educated myself endlessly. Learning all of the health risks.

I battle the obesity.
I battle the infertility.
And now I must battle diabeties.

Sadly, I cannot ask why?

I know why.

I decided without realizing it when my marriage ended, that I no longer cared for my body.

I gave up on my insulin resistance meds.
I gave up on eating healthy.
I gave up on exercise.

And here I am. Now, I MUST change my life style.

I want to live long.
I want to be a healthy weight.
I want to have children.
I want to feel good.
I want to be strong.

No more slips.
No more binges.
No more "treats"
No more being lazy.

No one will do this, but me. I must take control and do the best that I possibly can.

I will become healthy.
I will become strong.
I will become fit.

And I will become proud.
Old 06-05-2002, 09:26 AM   #2  
Losin It For GOOD!

Girlie - I will pray for you... I know that you can get through this and do this.. besides I know its always a relief to find an "answer" to the many questions that always seem to come up.

I pray that I will have your courage to ask my doctor what is going on with me!
Old 06-05-2002, 09:32 AM   #3  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Default {{{BIG HUGS}}}

Aw, Jen...I'm so sorry. I can only imagine how scared you must feel right now. But you know what, your right, you can control this. Together we will help you control this. Now is the time. You have been doing good lately, and now you know you must keep it up!! You will become healthy strong and fit!! I have so much faith in you. I KNOW you can do this. And I'm with you every step of the way!!

Hang in there sweetie...One day at a time!!

Love Ya!
Old 06-05-2002, 11:02 AM   #4  
It's been so long...

S/C/G: 375.2/377/177

Height: 6'

(((((Jenniffer))))) My mom was recently diagnosed, and she's a stubborn woman, going to put herself in the grave, won't change her ways, at least you are willing to do something to try and help yourself... and that's the first step... I know you can do the right things for you!
Old 06-05-2002, 11:59 AM   #5  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Jenniffer -

I think you will find that when you have to take care of yourself less for aesthetic reasons and more for true health reasons, you're much more motivated to work hard and make good choices! Is your diabetes weight-related (as in it might reverse itself when you get to a lower weight) or is it related to your PCOS and the endocrine system things that go along with it? Please don't be scared...it is a serious disease, but it is manageable and you can still have a full, long life. (My FIL lived 30 years with it, and could have lived longer had he chosen to take better care of himself!)

We are all thinking of you and sending happy thoughts your way.

Jennelle
Old 06-05-2002, 03:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Jennifer--> I'm so sorry to hear about the diabetes. My dad just tested positive for it a couple months ago (He had a blood sugar level of 414 after fasting!!!!). So he gave up his beloved Coca-Cola and after just 2 months he dropped 40+ pounds in 3 weeks (I wish it were that easy for me!!!) and now tests around 100-110 even at non-fasting levels. You sound like you have a great attitude about this and if there's anyone out there that can whip diabetes i know you can. Keep your head up and I want to hear positive things from you.
Dawnyal
Old 06-05-2002, 04:26 PM   #7  
gbo

Jen Honey.....
I know how frightening getting hit with a diagnosis of any big and harry disease can be. You have a good head on your shoulders and the right attitude to wellness. Your approach to this illness is just as it should be. I am very proud of you. Sugar, I firmly believe we are given warnings in life about what we do to ourselves be it mentally, emotionally, physically or spiritually and I for one tend to brush them aside until I no longer can. I totally believe we can overcome most anything if we understand the warnings and resolve the causes. Thee are exceptions naturally but even in my case I have found this to be true and mine I was assured there is no cure for but I am better now than I have been in years and continue to get even better. It will take time and I have found I have remanents "damage" that remains but the illness is gone. I am aware it could come back on me if I do not continue in the manner I have but I too have chosen a better life for myself. Sometimes it just takes a lot to get our attention. Hang tough you can do this. Lean on God in whatever form is right for you and know that you are in my prayers and I am here for you in anyway I can be. Take care. Do what you must but remember Doctors do not know everything. Miracles happen everyday we just tend to miss them. You won't. Love you.
Pam
Old 06-05-2002, 06:15 PM   #8  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Jenniffer..
I can tell already by your persoanlilty that you ARE going to control this! You have great research skills and are going to empower your mind and body with all the information you can get your fingers on.

All the best.. keep us posted on you progress.

Dana
Old 06-05-2002, 07:14 PM   #9  

Jennifer,

So much was said and it was all great advice. That doesn't leave much for me to say. But I am going to remind you that we all support you and we are all praying for you. You will overcome this and move on with your life. If ever you need a shoulder or two, or more, then lean on us for support. We'll be here for you!

Bella23
Old 06-05-2002, 08:33 PM   #10  
hot mom wanna be!

Jennifer,
I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis, It sounds like you have been through a lot. Your diagnosis has made me pay attention! I always kind of "glaze over" the warnings of obesity. We all could probably say them by heart..."cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure, and diabetes." I always think of myself as too young to really worry about these things, but I'm not. I know you are younger than me. (I am 33). If it can happen to you at a lower weight then why couldnt it happen to me?? Thanks for the warning!
I also wanted to say I cant swear to it but I have read that people have reversed their type 2 diabetes with very careful diets lower in carbs like pasta, potatoes and rice, and by eating more fruits and veggies. People have actually been able to control their diabetes by diet and no longer needed to take the insulin meds. I would look into diet therapy with type 2. Heck you can lose weight and be healthy and get rid of the diabetes at the same time!
best wishes to you!!
lorelei
Old 06-05-2002, 09:29 PM   #11  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Jenniffer {{{{HUGS}}}}}

now comes the KICK!!! get your butt back on the low carb diet that you were doing so wonderful on before. you have the most important reason in the world, your life. you can do this and you have just gave me the kick i have needed. (I had a not so good day today) Your life depends on this. being diagnosed with PCOS was just a warning and now with DM you have been given your second warning do not get the third stike!!! this is controllable totally just get going girl!! I know you can do this you were the queen of the low carb before now be that again!!! now sugars limit the carbs and the carbs you do take make then count. eat only the ones that give your bodynutrients like fruit and vegies. the bread has no nutrients for you so go for it girl I am right there behind you!!!!
Old 06-05-2002, 11:41 PM   #12  
Zap
Fat Zappin' in Progress

Jen I'm so sorry to hear this....

What can I say that hasn't already been said. My father has been diagnosed as well and like PNG's mother he is stubborn. You have been dealt a horrible hand.. but in the end you will prevail...Don't give up on yourself, you know you can do this and we are all here for you when you need us to be.

((HUGS))

Traci
Old 06-06-2002, 01:28 PM   #13  
it's always something

I'm so sorry to hear this My sister Amy was diagnosed with it a little over a month ago, and I recall the shock she felt. I wish you all the best, and I'm sure you will do fine. You are a very strong person, and it sounds like you are willing to do whatever is necessary to improve your situation. Please keep us updated, if you want to, and never forget that you have a lot of friends here
Old 06-06-2002, 01:42 PM   #14  

I feel so loved.

Thank you each and everyone of you. You made my heart smile and feel a bit lighter. I know the courage and willpower and determination is in there somewhere. And I will find it. I have ben doing really well all week and feeling good. I just hope that I can keep this going and make it a lifestyle change. I did very well in the past following a low carb diet that my doctor suggested because of my PCOS. But more than anything, it was too lose weight. It was to love the scale. It was for smaller clothes. It wasn't a lifestyle cahnge. It was a diet. But now. I must make serious lifestyle changes. I've gone through alot of stress in the last 2 years of my life, and almost want to cry out, "Why me?"

But I won't. I will play the cards that I am dealt and play hard and I know that with some determintation, faith, courage and support, I can make it through anything.

I will not give into this. I will not become older than my years too soon and be ill. I will be strong. And I may even reverse it. My doctor says that it looks possible for me.

One more comment. Remember the poll that was taken here, about where you receive your most support, from online friends or friends/family in your daily life. Well, I answered my online friends. And it is still true. And you'll never know how just happy I am that I stumbled across this site so long ago. I have met ppl who have touched my heart over and over again. I'll stop cause am getting myself mushy. lol

But, I just wanted to thank you for yesterday, today and tomorrow. You've all been a wonderful group of friends through my darkets moments.
Old 06-06-2002, 09:47 PM   #15  
Old Cackler

Default [[[[[[[[jenn]]]]]]]]]

so sorry i'm a bit late with this... i haven't been posting very regularly recently...

yes. you can do this. and losing weight may actually reduce your dependence on medications.

and please please please... watch your eyes... you're still so young, you don't wnat to lose your visiion because you haven't kept your blood sugar in the right range.

we're all here for you... and let me know how i can help.
Closed Thread