3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Yet another scale question (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/168693-yet-another-scale-question.html)

seashell 04-07-2009 08:56 AM

Yet another scale question

I know, I know! Another scale question? When will we learn to toss these buggers overboard?

Here's my question. How can I weigh 3 pounds more the next day when I have been perfect on my plan? And how is it possible that I gain 1 pound in one hour when I haven't eaten or had anything to drink in that hour? Is it me or is my scale just mean? It is a 15 dollar wallmart scale. Should I invest in a more expensive model or just forget about weighing at all? I sware, I am doing so well staying on plan!!!!

TJFitnessDiva 04-07-2009 09:10 AM

Your weight will fluctuate all day even if you haven't eaten or had anything to drink (don't try that though lol). Our bodies are weird like that sometimes ;) As for the 3 pounds the next day, it's probably because you ate more sodium than usual or it's getting closer to your time of the month.

Unless you don't freak out over the numbers I'd stick to weighing once a day/week/month at the same time. :)

GirlyGirlSebas 04-07-2009 10:10 AM

Yes, it could be the scale. More likely, it is just your normal body fluctuations. I find that it's best to look at the long term picture. I recommend that you weigh only 1 time each morning and watch for a downward trend over the weeks. Weighing yourself at various times of day is just a frustrating endeavor.

barefootnikki 04-07-2009 10:29 AM

There are a few programs that encourage you to weigh daily and it tracks the over-all trend as well as the day-to-day (Lose It for iPhone and Weight Commander for the computer are 2). I would say keep your scale and only way once a day (morning is awesome... i go for after my morning pee and before i do any exercise or even get a drink) and go from there.
Good luck sweetie!

Amber1011 04-07-2009 10:30 AM

I recommend weighing once a week to see a trend for the week. Also, weigh only in the morning after bathroom and before food. I find tat to be the most accurate.

Remember: When you get on the scale its not the specific number you see that counts, but the overall downward trend.
Almost all scales will give you a different weight, but if you stick to one scale and see a weight difference on that scale, then you're doing good.

funniegrrl 04-07-2009 12:03 PM

First, a $15 scale is crap.

Second, even the best scale will give uneven readings if it's not on a level, solid surface.

Third, your weight fluctuates naturally all day, from day to day, and week to week. Your weight will be the lowest in the morning, after you've been to the bathroom but before having anything to eat or drink. Your body is dehydrated at that point, meaning it contains less fluid than it does at the end of the day. There are tons of other factors that go into how much you weigh, NOT just the amount of fat you carry. Learn what that number means -- and doesn't -- and why weighing yourself more than once per day is utterly pointless, as well as why you might see fluctuations with daily, or even weekly, weighings. Here's an excellent article on the subject that I've posted elsewhere; I think it should be mandatory reading, with a passing grade on a quiz after, before anyone steps on a scale for the first time.

Why the Scale Lies

enchantedonyx 04-07-2009 12:14 PM

I only get on my scale once a day (after going to the bathroom, before eating first thing in the morning) but that number only gets written down once a week. I need the daily reminder for accountability but writing it down in my journal every day only stresses me out and makes me focus on that number when there are other factors- clothing size, measurements, energy level, overall health, fitness levels, etc.

If you weigh all day long, you get trapped by the number on the scale rather than the bigger picture.

Rosinante 04-07-2009 12:54 PM

I weigh once a day, in the morning, no clothes, after breakfast, because without breakfast I don't get bathroom. When I'm close to a target I weigh daily but I'm now back to twice weekly weighing - my monitoring goes by Tuesdays but I'm in a challenge where weighday is Sundays.

Athenawithheart 04-07-2009 01:08 PM

If you do want to weigh daily, it is helpful to put your weight on a spreadsheet so you can see the trends over time. There are free trackers at medhelp.org, and I'm sure a lot of other Web sites -- it is a lot of motivation to be able to see the trend!

cfmama 04-07-2009 03:34 PM

I tossed my old cheap crap scale and bought what I thought was a decent one. Then that one bit too so I took it back and bought an $50 one that I LOVE. I only weigh once a day and record it but I always weigh at the same time. But even with that said my weight went up 3 lbs a couple weeks ago for what I THOUGHT was no reason... and then came back down so *shrug* I dunno!!!

seashell 04-08-2009 07:56 AM

Ok all you smart chickies! Thanks for listening and offering help. I knocked out the peperoni I had been eating for my afternoon snack and I am down 4 pounds from yesterday. Guess it was sodium after all! Thanks for making me feel better and keeping up my enthusium!

cfmama 04-08-2009 10:42 AM

the evil sodium. I hates it.