Old 03-29-2009, 09:47 PM   #1  

Default One Month

Despite my earnest attempt to re-enter the world of self accountability two months ago, I let life get in the way. At the end of January just days before my 34t birthday — and what was supposed to be the day my wife and I announced her pregnancy, she had a miscarriage. One that took four days of bouncing between hospitals & clinics and my wife going through a forced labor at home before resolving itself. She was 14 weeks in at the time — just into the second-trimester. The pregnancy itself was a victory as it took almost two-years of trying. In the weeks & months that have followed we have lost a grandfather to a tragic accident, an aunt to a two-year battle with lung cancer and had to put down our cat. If you have read my story or any of the back posts in my previous blog — you will know that eleven-years ago I lived through a similar chain reaction of crappy luck. The difference this time though was that I was going through it with somebody.

Needless to say I stopped looking at the scale. Fortunately I weigh the exact same as my previous weigh-in at the end of January, (312lbs.) Six-pounds less than when I came back to the world of dieting. This past week I made the realization that I was letting all of these above mentioned events act as an excuse and called my doctor. I have a track record of performing better with these kind of things when there is more than just myself that I am accountable to. A lucky decision as we made the discovery that my blood pressure was clocking in at 171/102 - way above norm — not good considering my previous heart condition. If we had taken it again right after I am sure it would have been even higher as the number scared the $#!% out of me.

I had made a promise to my self years ago that I would never let this happen again — but I did. To think that I could betray such a necessary declaration when at the time I was knocking on deaths door. How easy I have persistently slipped into a world of denial. It's scary - and it's a scary implication against my future.

I am choosing sundays as my weigh-in day this time around. I also have to monitor my blood pressure twice a day. I am asking my doctor to give me one month to try to lower this on my own. If I can't make any headway by then he can feel free to prescribe what ever he feels necessary.

I will not let history repeat itself (again.)
Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:16 PM   #2  
Getting healthy!

S/C/G: 275/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

My most sincere condolences on the losses in your life.

I hope things look up for you in the future. Especially with the baby and blood pressure!
enchantedonyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:02 AM   #3  

Height: 5ft6'

My heart goes out to you. It's a incredibly difficult to focus on weight loss (regardless of how nessescary) with so much trama going on around you. It sounds like you know what you have to do and this is a good place to start.
TraceyElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:56 AM   #4  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I am so sorry that you are going through such a difficult time. I wish I had words of wisdom but at times like this words can fail. Just know that my thoughts and prayers go out to you.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:54 AM   #5  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Nash I am so sorry to hear that you have been going through so much.

It's tough to focus on getting healthy when your heart aches. I am very proud of you for coming back and trying again.

We are here for you!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:18 AM   #6  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

That is really a tough thing to go through. My heart goes out to you. Hang in there!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:28 AM   #7  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Nash Sorry to here about all that has been going on. Hang in there. One good day can lead to a good week and good weeks can lead to good months. Best
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:15 AM   #8  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Omgosh. You have been through SO MUCH. No wonder your blood pressure is sky high. But you know what? You CAN do this. You WILL do this. Your life depends on it and you will succeed.

Sundays are my weigh in day as well. What else can we do to help??? Anything. *hugs* take care of you.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:12 AM   #9  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Big hugs to you Nash.....it's hard to eat right when you are coping with loss. Not impossible, though....
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:29 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

I am so sorry you have had such a horrific time of it lately. My heart really goes out to you. The fact that you regrouped and decided to continue losing weight speaks volumes about your ability to refocus and keep on going. I know I don't know you personally, but I am very proud of you.
Hang in there, this could be the beginning of a GOOD streak of luck.
irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:14 PM   #11  

Thanks you guys! You Rock!

Sorry for the delayed response - it was a hectic week and I am no longer able to check non-relative (to work) sites at work anymore.. stupid firewalls!!!

I had my followup appointment friday.. While my blood pressure was not as high, the doctor still felt it necessary to prescribe meds ( I was really hoping he would give me time to do it on my own.) According to my pharmacist though it is an extremely low dosage. Oddly enough though yesterday my pressure went down to 133/90 and this morning it's 120/83 which is practically optimal.. It's a bit of a shock from less than a week ago when it actually reached above 180.

Okay I'm kind of rambling now.. Just wanted to thank ALL of your for the support. I love this place..

I weighed in minus 4lbs this morning - which makes me very happy.. I also got a bit of perspective after seeing (in my signature) that despite the 2 month pause I have lost 25 lbs since I started this in January.
Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:10 AM   #12  
One pound at a time...

I am so sorry to hear about everything that you are going through. It will get better and you know we will be here for you when needed.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:25 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 275/245/140

Height: 63inches

I am sorry to read about all you are going through. I am happy that you are starting to think about "you" again. It is so wonderful to have this forum to get the support we need. My prayers are with you.
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:40 AM   #14  
Happy Camper

S/C/G: 274/264/220 then re-eval

Height: 6'2"

I'm glad to hear your BP has come down. You can always go off meds (docs permission of course) in the future when your downward trend continues.
I am so very sorry about all of your losses. The fact that you are here is fantastic. It's so easy (and natural and normal) to let bad times totally derail us.
barefootnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Just now saw this thread...

I am so sorry for your losses. I am glad you've come back and you're getting control of your health issues NOW. Good luck with everything you do... we are here for you.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote