Old 03-13-2009, 09:28 PM   #1  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Default I need some support

A month ago I signed up for a 3k. Then, all of the sudden, life caught up to me on this very day. I have to go to a family reunion/anniversary party that is 4 hours away. I want to stay on plan. That is why tonight I am cooking a few foods that I want to bring. I haven't really trained for the 3k. It's in a part of the city with horrendous parking and I don't honestly know where it starts. Right after I leave the 3K, I will have to get in the car with my doesn't-want-to-go boyfriend and hope to stay on plan.

At this point, looking at everything, I don't know if I want to go. Surely, 1.86411358 miles would be cake for me to walk even without training. I did start to exercise this week but more strength than cardio. At the same time, I might just be very nervous because at least when I did the 5K in 2007, I had been exercising regularly. I don't know what to do.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:48 PM   #2  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Everything in your post screams to me that you don't want to do the 3k...you don't know when it starts, don't know where you'll park, haven't really trained for it...I'm sure there are other excuses that are going through your mind. BTW what doesn't your boyfriend want to go to, the 3k or the family reunion? You couldn't pay me enough to go anywhere that required a 4 hour drive there and a 4 hour drive back but that is just me. I don't think I would try to do both of these things on the same day. If going to the family reunion is not an option than that is what you should do. There will be other 3ks.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:56 PM   #3  
Hooping my Life Away

I probably didn't make my post very clear. I'm trying to cook here between posts. Right now, I don't want to go to the 3K. Going to the family reunion is not an option. I think I would be murdered if I didn't go. My boyfriend doesn't want to go to either most importantly the reunion.. Cause originally, I was going to have him drop me off to the 3K so I wouldn't have to worry about downtown parking but he changed his mind. I also found out that it will be raining tomorrow, too. More reason not to go.

I originally signed up for it to encourage me to exercise but I never did. I liked doing the 5K but the 5K was familiar since it's with my last job.

Then, there is the issue where if I am nervous/unfamiliar with something, I will not go/dropp out of it unless I am basically coached to the spot of no turning back. Even if I don't go, yes, some of the money will be wasted but it is going to Habit for Humanity.

I also feel like if I don't go, I'm being a huge lazy person with no ambitions or something.

Last edited by Daimere; 03-13-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:27 PM   #4  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

It is fine to not go to the 3K if you don't want to. Don't worry about it. The day sounds busy enough without it!

The family reunion is another matter. The mother in me is coming out. Family can be a pain but they are important. I don't know how serious you and your boyfriend are but I would think twice about making him go. Of course that depends on how established your relationship is. I have been married over 30 years and still dread my husband's family reunions!

Just my 2 cents worth!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:42 PM   #5  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

Height: 5'7"

You sound really stressed! Since the reunion is a must-do, I would let the 3k go --- give yourself permission, darn it, to do what you want and to NOT do what you DON'T want! It doesn't mean you are lazy or bad, simply that your life is full of events and you can only do so many. Shrug, toss the 3k for the moment and try to calmly plan the reunion. (Consider yourself coached to the point of saying "no", ok?)

Maybe you and your guy can plan your own 3k at a time and place that is more convenient for you both --- someplace with good parking and in good weather, maybe some lovely, quiet area with good trails. You can time yourselves and push as hard as you want, treat it like an actual race.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Last edited by Numina; 03-13-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Numina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:52 PM   #6  
Hooping my Life Away

Quote:
The family reunion is another matter. The mother in me is coming out. Family can be a pain but they are important. I don't know how serious you and your boyfriend are but I would think twice about making him go. Of course that depends on how established your relationship is. I have been married over 30 years and still dread my husband's family reunions!
The thing is I've only had my license for a year and I've only made this trip once. My mother basically told him, "I'd prefer you to go with her." He should really be happy. My family likes him better than they like me.