Old 03-13-2009, 01:43 PM   #1  
Starting Again

S/C/G: 280/272/160

Height: 5'8"

Default Yesterday was my cheat day...ugh!

So the company where I work is rearranging departments, so my team held a potluck dinner to say good bye to some people as they moved to other teams and welcome new team members. I just decided to allow myself to have a cheat day. However, I brought in a veggie tray so that I could fill up on raw veggies and only have a taste of the other stuff. I work with some really good cooks and I knew I wouldn't be able to resist. Even though it is early on I could tell the difference. I walked around in a haze the rest of the day and felt like I wanted to fall asleep at my desk. It made me realize I'm not really depriving myself of that much in the long run, and I think the cheat day really strengthened my resolve a little.

Do you all factor in cheat days in your diet? What is your cheat like? Do you eat whatever you want or do you have one meal or treat? How do you work it?
Carol
Iheartsushi418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:01 PM   #2  

Height: 5' 6

Nope, I don't have cheat days. I don't see the point in working hard all week and then ruining the hard work in one day. I have not cheated even once since Jan. 1st. I just work treats into my daily plan.
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #3  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

I don't plan for cheat days either. But, I also try to not freak myself out if I go off plan on a rare occasion.

I'm with you, though. It just doesn't help you. You do not feel like you have had a treat when you get all bloated and tired!!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:17 PM   #4  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I don't have cheat days. I have planned treats or meals. It may just be semantics to some, but cheat days are free-for-alls for me and they usually end up making me binge for several days...even weeks. With planned treats and meals, there is a specific beginning and ending and the calorie counts can be managed into my weekly totals.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:22 PM   #5  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

I have cheat days. I just expect to lose at a lower rate by doing it that way, but that's how I want it. The way I see it... if I am good 80-90% of the time, I am doing a heck of a lot better than I used to do. That being said, cheat days may work for some people and not others. Some people can find themselves slipping back into old routines because a cheat day sets them off. But I just try to get back on plan. It's all about what works for each person on an individual basis.
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I don't have cheat days either. Usually I will plan for treats if I want them, for example if I know I'm going to have some pizza with DH, I plan for the calories and adjust my eating the rest of the day accordingly.

Tonight, I'm going out to a Mexican restaurant...I just googled their menu online and figured out what I was going to order and calculated the calories...this way I know I'll be OK. I allow myself treats fairly regularly, I plan them into my calories...nothing is off-limit as long as I stay in my calorie range. However since the treats tend to be high in calories I try not to have too many of them or I end up not eating anything else that day which does NOT work well!!
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:09 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

I don't have cheat days. I work small amounts of treats into my daily calorie budget. I'm afraid a cheat day would lead to a free for all. I think this is a very individual thing, what works for one person won't work for another. I know what you mean about feeling awful after eating the off plan food. I don't miss that feeling at all. I did that to myself for years, eating the bad stuff and feeling bloated and stuffed and needing a nap. I got to the point where I really hated feeling that way and it finally dawned on me (duh) I don't have to do this! Maybe some are able to eat small amounts and control the "cheat" and others of us aren't.
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 280-->150

Height: 5'7"

I don't plan cheat days for myself, but I know accidents are going to happen. So I concentrate on limiting portion size, and try to teach myself to cook tasty, healthier options so I won't be looking to restaurant food and junk. French toast is a weakness for me, for example. So when I make it, I use whole wheat, egg whites, and sugar-free syrup. Mmmm.
Jo Kittibuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 215.6/155.4/138

Height: 5'5"

I usually don't journal the day I weigh-in at ww. I try not to go too overboard. This week I went to visit an old friend and ended up totally overindulging in sweets so I will be journaling faithfully for at least a week now.
marathonwwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:02 PM   #10  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

I'm sick of being fat. Cheating would make it take longer to get to goal. So I don't cheat. Plus I'm addicted to carbs, so I have to stay far, far away from them. I'm OK with this though. Life is much, much, much better now than it was when I ate bad carbs, junk and processed food. I actually feel healthy, first time in my life.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:02 PM   #11  
Keep on going!

S/C/G: 278.3/see ticker/135

Height: 5'5

if there happens to be treats or whatever else around , which usually there is cause my hubby is thin and is a picky eater & eats whatever without gainin weight ever (grr lol) then Ill let myself have one portion of it , even if its every day , I just watch portion control for the most part. & I like that, less likely I'll feel deprived & over eat
alsten02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #12  

I have been doing cheat meals -- which unfortunately could become whole cheat days -- and I thought it was a good way to take a short break and might help my metabolism (such that it is) stay up through calorie cycling. But I am a little frustrated by having to work half the week to get off the water weight so while I'd like to keep having them, I need to limit them to one actual meal and maybe only do them every two-three weeks, to get me past this particular mental place.

Barb
Keillynsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #13  
Priscatip

Height: 5' 6"

I seem to have decided holidays are my cheat days. Like my birthday, valentines... and now it's kind of getting out of hand... st. patricks day is coming up, then there will be easter, then memorial day... but i guess it's better than i was doing before... and there's only one day a year you can drink green beer.

Edit: It has turned out that these cheat days are really cheat days for alcohol for me. I don't really overindulge on food, but I don't measure my wine into the wine glass on those days or only drink from bottles instead of the (unmeasured) keg. But my only friends are college age boys, so that may explain the reason for those cheat days.

Last edited by Priscatip; 03-13-2009 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Sounded worse than I meant
Priscatip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:40 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 254/242/199first

Height: 5'6"

Number one rule for a so called cheat day....I call it a FREE DAY. I am not cheating myself if it part of my plan Mentally and physically a Free day can do you good
lonegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:15 PM   #15  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I don't have a cheat day or meal. I really really want to get this weight off and ANYTHING that hinders that does not work for me.

BUT if I really really really want something I'll work it into my daily calorie budget. For instance... my hubby and I wanted to go see a movie for Valentines day. I really wanted a small popcorn with butter. SO the night before I did my plan for the day, made it fairly light and full of protein and saved 600 of my 1800 calories for popcorn. It was the first time I did that... and the last for a bit. But it was within my plan so I was good to go!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote