Snow Day

• I have lots of respect for those of you who are home during the day and still manage to lose weight. My office is closed today and although I have been keeping busy doing things around the house--I JUST WANT TO SNACK ALL THE TIME.

So if I was home all day my house might be cleaner but I would probalby weigh more. I'm off now to put on my boots and tromp around in the snow because we did get a beautiful one this time.
  • Do you like boiled eggs? Boil you a bunch of eggs and just snack on the whites all day, 30 calories per egg white.
  • I know how you feel. When I just sit around at home I feel BORED and I just want to eat!
  • Same thing happens to me on weekend. I'm trying to get out with my boys more, they nee to be active too. So it's good for them as well.
  • My office isn't closed, since we can work on our laptops all day, but I hate, hate, hate the snowstorm we're going through.

I will not be able to go to the gym today. Let me take a deep breath & say it again, so you will understand that I am **freaking out**: I will not be able to go to the gym today. There's a foot of snow on the ground. My car is still buried. The streets are a mess.

I am suffering from withdrawal. See, I have no alternatives. I can't run on the messy streets. My apartment is tiny & has no floor space so I can't clump around doing exercise videos or etc. (which would really p*ss off my landlady, who lives just beneath me.) It's the gym or nothing today. So it's going to be nothing.

I've been wondering for a while now if I were addicted in some way to exercise, or starting to get obsessive/compulsive about doing it. Now I know. No doubt about it: I am.

Rationally, I know I am not going to deteriorate overnight or start puffing up until I turn into Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade balloon, just because I missed putting in my usual hour of cardio.

Emotionally, I'm uneasy & full of guilt. And you know what I want to do when I feel that way? How do you think I'm tempted to sooth myself?

I'll give you two guesses.

But that would exacerbate the problem. I'm already failing to exercise ... so I should compound that by going off plan?!

So, Nada, good for you. Good for you getting your boots on. And for seeing something nice about the snow. Right now, I see nothing nice about the snow. I must remind myself that I, too, should put on my boots because that's the only option I have for moving my body today. It's that or nothing.

Until then ... I'm still tethered to the laptop, because we're still working today. Business as usual, thanks to Verizon FiOS & working for a tech company, a quarter of whose workers are remote in home offices.
  • Hey Saef...in college my roommate and I used to do leg lifts and sit-ups on our tiny little dorm beds. 50-50-50 then repeat. It was a good burn without disturbing others and with very minimal space.
  • Oh gosh. I'm home all day but I am CERTAINLY not bored!!!! I make sure to set my timer for meal and snack times and am accountable for not eating between them. Maybe try that? Or just snack on veg?
  • Thanks, Lori Bell. Leg lifts & situps are a good idea. I should maybe try some pushups, too, while I'm at it. I keep meaning to at least attempt that "100 pushups" things.

At least it will keep me from going completely CRAZY.

Shoveling must work off some calories. I'll have to Google that, since there seem to be calorie counts for every other activity known to man.

As for anyone who put their boots on, Nada & etc., good for you. I am not a fan of this stinging, blowing, drifting snow, though.

This is the first storm of the year to totally defeat me. My YakTrax ice cleats have been awesome, I must say.
  • Saef, hope you're able to get out soon. Thinking about you folks in the NE. Our snow is melting fast now. I walked for about an hour yesterday and then came home and removed some hated wallpaper in a small bathroom. Can't eat and do that at the same time! And then painting is certainly something you can't eat while doing.

cfmama--I wasn't bored really--just that the food was too accessible.
  • Thanks, Nada. I excavated my car yesterday, so when the gym opened at 7 AM, I was there. Even though I skid a little at the first intersection I stopped at. (The streets weren't well-cleaned yet.) What a relief to be on the elliptical, doing what I was supposed to. I hate missing an exercise session because I fear that if I do it too often, I might just quit entirely. It's always a relief to come back after missing a day & to pick right back up.

I hear you about food being too accessible when you're indoors all day. On such days, I eat strictly by the clock. I tell myself exactly what time I'm allowed to have lunch & when I can snack. I don't really like doing this, since it means eating when I am not always hungry & not eating sometimes when I feel hunger pangs. But it helps me space out the meals appropriately, so the day is not just one long nibbling session.