Old 02-25-2009, 10:14 PM   #31  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm following a low carb exchange plan. I love exchange plans, calorie controlled, but forcing a certain amount of "balance" into my diet. However, carbohydrates make me feel STARVED. Telling me I can't have them, does make me want them more, and on an exchange plan, I do get carbs in some of my exchanges - 2 milk, 2 fruit, 4 veggie, 2 starch, and for my starch exchanges I can use them on processed carbs that will make the rest of my day miserable because I'm so hungry and craving-prone (and much more likely to eat not only off-plan, but far more calories than I'm alotted).

Finding the perfect plan (the plan that is both physically and mentally best suited to you) can be a challenge, and it's not the same challenge for each person. One person's ideal plan may be another person's nightmare. I think sometimes the right plan can change for a person over time as well. Maybe, my needs will evolve or change, so what works today might not work in the future - then I'll have to assess those needs and meet them, and if it means changing food plans, so be it.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:18 AM   #32  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

It's deffo different strokes for different folks. I'm really happy with my current low-carb WOE. I can behave quite normally around food until I start on things like rice and pasta, then I turn into a human Hoover!

Forcing yourself to stick to a plan that's unrealistic is setting yourself up for failure, so I'm glad you've found something that works for you, Ann. If counting kcals, and eating in moderation is a comfortable fit for you, you're well on your way.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:46 AM   #33  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Ann - You might see a bit of water weight gain if you go from low carb back to having more. That's the extra stored glycogen, so don't panic!

There are lots of different ways of low*er* carb eating, like being under 150 grams a day might be something to shoot for during your daily calorie count. This will let you eat enough carbs and whole grains, yet will push you to add more protein and fat. It can balance your daily eating and help prevent cravings.

You should never feel deprived, and you should never cut a single type of macronutrient out. (IMHO)

You have done so well, I know you can do it again!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #34  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberlover View Post
You should never feel deprived, and you should never cut a single type of macronutrient out. (IMHO)
South Beach is actually relatively high in carbs compared with other low-carb plans. Even the much misunderstood Atkins never advocates cutting them out.

Contrary to popular belief, cookies are not a macronutrient.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote