3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   How do you exercise? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/165306-how-do-you-exercise.html)

Numina 02-24-2009 02:15 PM

How do you exercise?

I have been very interested to read all the different ways folks on the 100+ Board find to move their bodies. Does it seem to you like most exercise fits into one of three categories: strength, cardio, and flexibility? (Obviously some kinds of work-outs incorporate more than one of those categories). I personally think of core strength training (this explains that http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/core-exercises/SM00071) as different than standard strength training.

I am currently only walking ---- I don't even stretch before or after! How do you move your body? Are you sampling from all three different menus? What keeps you going?

:wl: :running: :trampo: :ebike: :belly: :yoga:

H8cake 02-24-2009 02:28 PM

I walk/jog 30-45 minutes 5 days a week. I need to add some strength training. I do the treadmill on a 9% incline and this has really strengthened my leg muscles. I can step up on a chair without grabbing on to anything to help myself up now. I just discovered this the other day and made hubby come and look. :D I do a lot of lifting at work. I work in a bakery and lift 50 pound boxes and bags all the time.

daniela 02-24-2009 02:47 PM

Great thread idea! First off I LOVE to exercise!!! I was a swimmer as a teen and I was in the Army for 4 years (I ran all the time). I am so happy to be working out again and I feel great! I started out walking and then after a month on plan I joined a gym.

This is my current routine. I just started training for a 10K so the mileage increases every week and there is some speed work built in too. I’m using a plan I got from runnersworld.com

S – Rest
M – ½ hr w/ trainer lifting weights, 30-60 min cardio (walk on an incline, elliptical, or stair stepper)
T – Yoga 1hr & Run (10k training)
W- Spin Class 1hr & 30 min core workout
Th - ½ hr w/ trainer lifting weights & Run (10k training)
F – Rest
S – Long Run (10k training)

I’d like to lift weights one more day per week but I can’t fit it in right now. I’ll change my schedule in June since my 10k race is May 31st.

What keeps me going? Easy the changes in my body! I’m stronger, I have more endurance, I don’t run out of breath going up stairs, everyday I notice new muscles, etc. I’m addicted!
:strong:

Kae 02-24-2009 02:48 PM

I enjoy the Billy Blanks Tae Bo videos... I also like doing the aerobics/ strength training/ and Yoga on our family's WII Fit. Once the snow finally melts away again I will resume walking and biking.

mandalinn82 02-24-2009 02:52 PM

My plan is a little intense, but really works for me:

M - 80-100 min cardio (usually on my elliptical, or 40 min elliptical with a 40 min exercise video...I like TaeBo and the Biggest Loser cardio)
T - 60 min cardio, 60 min circuit strength training (this is intense...cardio intervals mixed with hardcore lifting...I'll paste the current routine below, I do a new routine every 2 weeks)
W - 60 min Yoga Booty Ballet in the morning, 55 min elliptical
Th - 80-100 min cardio
F - 60 min cardio, 60 min circuit strength

On weekends, I work on getting -something- in, but it isn't as regimented...walking somewhere, or riding my bike to run an errand, or even just hardcore cleaning. Usually that's one day a week and the other day is rest.

This is my current circuit:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...2/Circuit3.jpg

Lyn2007 02-24-2009 02:52 PM

I bike (recumbent stationary) 30 minutes, 6 days a week.
I strength train at home with free weights, 2-3 days a week.
I try to get in a 10-20 minute walk outside daily.
I try to MOVE my butt, do yardwork, put a little effort into my daily activities, park far from the store, etc.

daniela 02-24-2009 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mandalinn82 (Post 2627292)
My plan is a little intense

:dizzy: OMG you are hardcore !!! I thought I was a little nuts but you win ;) LOL

ChocLabLover 02-24-2009 02:57 PM

I do a version of kickboxing 3 times a week (M, W, Sat-45 min/class) and that can vary. Mondays is usually legs, Wednesday is a lot of upper body, but they mix it up and Saturday is always a mix.

I also do Yoga (60-75 min/class) every other day, which I love. I can not believe the improvements I am seeing in flexibility and strength.

I also am out and about with my dog as she is a very active lab. :D

lottie63 02-24-2009 03:00 PM

I work out 6-7 days a week now. 3 days, I do 30 mins of either upper body, core, lower body, flexibility, etc, and 2 days I do 15 mins of that plus 20 mins on the elliptical. Then on the two days I'm not doing that, I'm ellitpicalling for 20 mins and some days I double up and exercise and do somethign active like roller skate. :)

saef 02-24-2009 03:06 PM

I do an hour of cardio four days a week. I try to mix up the time on a stationary bike, an elliptical & a rowing machine. One day a week, I do a yoga class instead -- that's my rest day. On weekends, I do a yoga class & an hour of cardio on Saturday, and a swim class & about 45 minutes of cardio on Sunday. I also try to handle my dumbbells at least three sessions a week.

I know I need more strength training. I just tried to get into a weight class through local adult ed, but it sold out the day it was offered & they couldn't get the trainer to run a second ession.

corazonas 02-24-2009 03:15 PM

i hated working out... i think if i tried to do it with no structure even now that i would be lazy. so i've been doing the 30days shred. i do that most days and i do something else 2 or 3x a week... yoga, walking, other workout vids on demand... i just MOVE :D

FB 02-24-2009 03:52 PM

I lift weights for about an hour a day 5-6x per week with 15-20 minutes of cardio intervals afterward. On weekends I do something family orientated and physical like walks, riding bikes or swimming. If the family isn't up for it I ride my bike solo or head to the gym for an hour of cardio. So 7 days a week of something. It averages out to 90 minutes or so per day. Some body parts require more time, some less.

I also try to avoid using my car when possible, either walking or biking. If my boys occasionally don't walk the dogs I do that too.

time2lose 02-24-2009 03:52 PM

I walk. Being sedentary comes naturally to me. :( I work on the computer all day and have a 40 minute commute each way. I make sure that I take a break twice a day and walk for 10 to 15 minutes.

At home I am using Leslie Sansone’s Walk Away the Pounds video. She has different length segments and I aim at 30 minutes a day. She incorporates some strengthen building with them. I just got her firming video because I want to learn how to correctly do some additional firming exercises. Then I plan to be able to do them while watching tv.

Thanks for the exercise link. They have some videos on how to use a fitness ball. I am going to check them out!

WarMaiden 02-24-2009 04:43 PM

5x per week walk 45 mins on steep, hilly roads at lunchtime at work.

3x per week 15-30 mins strength training, doing the NROLW program at home in the evenings right now.

2x per week on weekends 45-60 mins of biking around my hometown, on streets and creek paths.

3 to 4 hours per day each workday I stand at my desk rather than sitting; I wear headphones to listen to music and dance a little while I work. It's not cardio exercise, but it burns extra calories.

I also do 1 to 2 hours of around-the-house stuff per day. More extra calories burned.

5 to 7x per week, vigorous sex with my husband for 30 to 60 mins.

So that's about 400-450 minutes of real "exercise" per week (about 60 mins per day), and another 30 hours (4 hours per day) of extra calorie-burning activity.

lindalou0510 02-24-2009 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarMaiden (Post 2627471)
5 to 7x per week, vigorous sex with my husband for 30 to 60 mins.

NOW that's my kinda exercise!!! If only I could get my b/f to jump onboard! LMAO!!!

:dizzy: