3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Caloric Ratios (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/163158-caloric-ratios.html)

TraceyElaine 01-30-2009 06:19 PM

Caloric Ratios

Does anyone know what ratio your calories should be. Like fat\carbs-protine. i'm averaging about 1500 calories a day and I'm using fitday. My little pie chart says that (today for instance) I have a ratio of 37%\53%\10% for fat\carbs\protine. That seems like a high ratio of fat. Yesterday I think it was at like 53%. Should I be paying more attention to this or am I on the right track?

lottie63 01-30-2009 06:26 PM

Someone else can tell you better than me but I'd say that your carbs or protein would be better off being 53% and your fat under 20%.

Randi 01-30-2009 06:32 PM

I am not sure what the perfect ratio should be - but in several of the books that I have on running the ratios that they give are 50% carbs, 25% protein and 25% fat. But, my understanding for that ratio is because of how much running they are expecting you to be doing.

I know at this point my ratios are not that high for fat, a little bit higher for protein (around 40% most of the time).

I think it depends on how much you are exercising - what kind of exercise (some people that I have talked to that are really into weight lifting are really heavy into the protein) and is it working for you.

Redflame 01-30-2009 06:46 PM

Unless you are doing extreme workouts, like for marathons or something this is how your ratio should look like for a healthy balanced nutritional intake
15% protien
30% fat
55% carbs

And that is the same for any caloric level. For my 1500 cals today I shoot for 50 grams of fat.

nelie 01-30-2009 07:44 PM

I don't think there is a perfect ratio. Personally, I think your fat should be 20% or less, carbs on the higher end and protein around 20%.

rodeogirl 01-30-2009 08:07 PM

If the focus is what will help you lose more weight I don't think it matters much if your hitting your calories. For overall health/nutrition isn't what matters most nutrients like iron, vitamins, etc.? I know you need protein to build muscles.

Obviously an all fat diet is not going to give you the nutrients you need. 100 calories of fat vs 100 calories of spinach: guess which has more iron?

cfmama 01-30-2009 09:49 PM

I personally do about 45 carb, 30 protein, and 25 fat. It works for me.

TraceyElaine 01-31-2009 08:25 AM

I just figured 50% fat seemed like alot even though I am eating very healthy. I thought it should be lower but I had no idea how much lower. I know I am hitting my calorie intake but I wouldn't want those calories to be unhealthy ones. I want to be healthy as well as smaller.

I walk 45 min a day and do 45 min of weight training 3 days a week. I wonder if I should have more protine. Hmmm. Or maybe I am over thinking all of this. I do that sometimes lol.

nelie 01-31-2009 08:43 AM

Well my question would be is what are you eating to get so much fat? That is a lot of fat and as someone else said, fat doesn't have nutrients and when you are on a restricted diet especially, you need to make sure you are properly fueling your body.

rockinrobin 01-31-2009 08:53 AM

I agree with Nelie.

Another thing, I'm always looking to get the very most volume for my calories. Which makes me be very sparingly and very choosy with my fat. 1 gm of fat has 9 calories as opposed to 4 for protein and carbs. So I get much more bang for my buck so to speak with those 2, then with the fat. And of course their nutients can't be beat. They are incredibly valuable to me.

I eat a lot of carbs. But it doesn't concern me, because they are almost exclusively from veggies and fruits. Weight loss and nutrient power houses.

You are still fairly new at this. Give it some time. I believe your food choices will evolve and improve as you go along. Keep asking questions. Keep on tweaking your food intake. Oh and for sure, keep on staying within that all important calorie budget. :)

heather88 01-31-2009 09:03 AM

I usually keep my fat intake under 30% and not to go over 50% for carbs.

mtnheart 01-31-2009 07:12 PM

Back in the nineties, Susan Powter's magic plan was to focus on the percentages. The main thing I remember was never eat any one thing with over 30% of its calories from fat. That way your daily number is guaranteed never to get over 30%. She also said a gram of fat has twice the calories as a gram of protein or carb.

My mom always said build your plate with half veggies or salad, one quarter starch, and one quarter meat. I even remember some diet program that sold clear plates with little liners under them. The liners were divided like a pie and labeled with a food category. Not much scientific there.

murphmitch 01-31-2009 07:50 PM

I eat a South Beach diet and I average about 35% fat, but it is all in the form of healthy fats (monounsaturated) like olive oil and nuts. I average about 25% protein and 40% carbs from non-refined sources. I do think that the quality of the calories is as important as the percentages. Some studies show that monos in the diet can decrease abdominal fat as well as increasing satiety (important for staying on your diet). Ten percent protein seems way too low for good nutrition and repair of body tissues.

lalique 01-31-2009 11:21 PM

I was told by my doctor way back when she was was trying to help me lose weight that I should eat lots of protien & keep fat & carbs lower. She said to stay under 30grams of fat each day....

I don't know how much help this is for ya

TraceyElaine 02-01-2009 01:33 AM

Today was better I was only at 20% fat and 65% carbs and 13% protine. I guess it just depends on the day.