Old 01-29-2009, 01:44 AM   #16  
Nicole

S/C/G: 261/226/140

, Anna. Fantastic to have you here.

In terms of a plan, you need to figure out which plan is going to work for you and your life. Some people here do Weight Watchers, others South Beach or Atkins or...you name it, there's probably someone here doing it.

For myself, I calorie count, but I also try for carbs that are low on the GI/GL indexes.

Looking forward to getting to know you better!
nicolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:19 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 278/264/120

Height: 5ft.3

I am on the Dukan regime (http://www.thedukandiet.org/, and you can see my results here: http://picasaweb.google.com/dukan.slimmer/Slimming#
The greatest benefit for me is the fact that now I cook and eat choosing healthier options over the old ones. I never feel hungry, sugar cravings have disappeared, my energy levels have been high from day one; the only drawback I can think of is that it is a bit expensive, especially in the beginning (now I have found my ways around it and spend even less than I used to). You do need to be disciplined, or you might stall for a week or so, and that can be demotivating. My mantra is "There is no going back" (I mean, back to the dreaded 126 kg).
Take a before picture - and regular after pictures; keep a diary; find a slimming buddy - not necessarily on the same plan, though it might be a bonus. And good luck - it is hard work, changing your lifestyle but remember, it is exactly your lifestyle that got you to your current shape and weight!
fractal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:52 AM   #18  
Finally Taking Care of ME

S/C/G: 283/ticker/183

Height: 5'9"

I calorie count too, I log everything into the daily plate I get a little frusterated with the site because you can type in something and lots of things come up with different calorie amount for the same size serving, but it gives me an idea.

I am lucky that I enjoy veggies - you can eat ALOT of them for a little calories.

Sometimes I research things I used to eat alot and see how many calories I used to be able to put away in a single meal. It's truly enlightening.

Calorie counting to me seemed the easiest way to change my life and not just go on a diet.

Angie

Last edited by LesliesMom; 01-29-2009 at 09:53 AM. Reason: typo
LesliesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:28 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 249.9/ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

Welcome to the board. I hope you stick around.
autumns19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #20  
One pound at a time...

to the board!
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:33 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 275/275/175

Height: 5'7"

You just took the first step...admitting you need help...way to go! You really need to find a plan that you can do the rest of your life, there is no easy fix, this is something we will forever be dealing with...The only way to lose weight is to eat less and move more...I have had success with WW but there might be another plan out there that will work better for you...Always remember it's persistence not perfection, don't give up...life is too short!
madys momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:49 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 315/307/140

Height: 5'8

Okay so I am going to so weight watchers. I think it will work great for me. I did it before, and I liked it. IT si something I know I can do, plus I think the weekely meetings will be good for me.

I also know that I need to do some "head" work. That is going to be the hard part.
salamroya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:55 PM   #23  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

Anna -- Like you I lost weight on Atkins, but I need a diet that I can get back on the horse when I fall. I sort of count calories, but informally. I found one book more helpful than most. [U]Picture Perfect Weight Loss[U] gives lots of encouragement toward healthy eating with lots of comparison pics to help keep food thoughts focused on good choices. I do best with my kitchen clear of the troubling junk food. Then if I want to snack, there is fresh fruit. As another here put it, you can eat a lot of apples without too much damage.

I also avoid diet headaches (used to be my constant enemy) by eating three small meals and two snacks a day. That helps keep my blood sugars stable. I fight depression by doing a little walking (on a treadmill when it's cold out).

We are here for you.
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:36 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 315/307/140

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea View Post
Anna -- Like you I lost weight on Atkins, but I need a diet that I can get back on the horse when I fall. I sort of count calories, but informally. I found one book more helpful than most. [U]Picture Perfect Weight Loss[U] gives lots of encouragement toward healthy eating with lots of comparison pics to help keep food thoughts focused on good choices. I do best with my kitchen clear of the troubling junk food. Then if I want to snack, there is fresh fruit. As another here put it, you can eat a lot of apples without too much damage.

I also avoid diet headaches (used to be my constant enemy) by eating three small meals and two snacks a day. That helps keep my blood sugars stable. I fight depression by doing a little walking (on a treadmill when it's cold out).

We are here for you.
That is the total issue with Atkins, you screw up and you are doomed for days!

I will check out that book! Thanks!
salamroya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:35 PM   #25  

Height: 4'11"

Yep, I'm a calorie counter too. If I'm on a plan where certain foods are "forbidden" or I have to plan my meals for the day, I totally rebel. But since no foods are forbidden, I end up eating great-- whole foods, not processed. Maybe twice a month I have a sweet or chips, whereas before it was pretty much my main staple.

If you don't think calorie counting is for you, you could start out by making small changes you can live with. I think the main thing is to not feel deprived, and just do what you can do. Little changes make a big difference! Let's say you drink 2 bottles of soda a day, and decide to cut out one bottle, but not completely give up you beloved elixir. That's a savings of 80,000 calories a year, or 23 pounds. And that's just one change. I just can't do diets, but this is fun, almost like a game to see what I can cut out, but WITHOUT feeling deprived.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:01 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 331 highest 308/see ticker/185

Welcome to 3FC

I find it VERY interesting how many people reply that have tried all the various programs, but Calorie Counting is what works.........why could we not figure that out the first time?

Balanced nutrition, moderation, and not depriving yourself of any particular food group......seems like a no brainer, but so many of us have had to go down the wrong paths first. Carbs are not enemys...they are energy. Fat is not the enemy, sugar is not even the enemy. But moderation, and proper food choices is the key. Healthy, whole foods .......carbs=whole grains, fats=healthy fats like olive oil, dairy, nuts, avacado, sugars=fruits, protiens=lean protiens that are not processed.

It's an investment in our future, and for many of us it is our only chance at a lengthy future.
Redflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:33 PM   #27  

Height: 5'7"

Welcome to 3FC! I hope we can be the support you need.
hautbois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 255/SB re-start 236/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Help

Hi, I'm new, too, and I really want to find a South Beach Diet thread. I'm kinda lost so any help would be appreciated!

And how do I get a goal tracker?

Last edited by TwilightMom; 02-02-2009 at 11:55 AM.
TwilightMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #29  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Hi Twilight -

The South Beach forum is here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=110

And you will get your signature and a tracker once you've been here for a few weeks and have posted several times. I forget what the exact numbers are. If you become a regular poster, the post count will be done with long before you hit the time required.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #30  
Sandy....

S/C/G: 270/207.8/155

Height: 5'5

Calories in and Calories out - that's it, plain and simple! The only other thing I would add is stay away from food made in labs - processed stuff and move more!

Sandy

blog = www.mygritsconfessions.com
mygritsconfessions is offline   Reply With Quote