Old 01-26-2009, 04:12 PM   #16  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 01-26-2009 at 04:13 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:29 PM   #17  

Height: 5ft6'

LMAO! I'd like to know who gave me this bug cuz I'd punch them out. LOL
TraceyElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:33 PM   #18  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyElaine View Post
LMAO! I'd like to know who gave me this bug cuz I'd punch them out. LOL
LOL!
I know, I'd say "Cover your mouth next time"

Last edited by fiberlover; 01-26-2009 at 04:34 PM.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:18 PM   #19  
Serious Ju Ju!

S/C/G: 260/see ticker /175

Height: 5 10 ( I hate being taller than all the cute guys!!!)

Im fat because I eat to much of the wrong thing. Can I please have a medical degree to hang on the wall now? I answered the question without wasting billions of dollars! Stupid doctors. DUH!!!
seashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:53 PM   #20  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

I was more offended by the picture they had with it on the fox news website. It showed the back end of a very overweight person sitting on a folding type chair. The person was hanging over on both sides and through the back. I get that they are trying to make a point, but I thought the picture was in poor taste.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:00 PM   #21  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashnl View Post
I was more offended by the picture they had with it on the fox news website. It showed the back end of a very overweight person sitting on a folding type chair. The person was hanging over on both sides and through the back. I get that they are trying to make a point, but I thought the picture was in poor taste.
That picture was in poor taste.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:25 PM   #22  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I agree the photo was a very poor choice. However, I do not feel that weight loss research is a waste of resources. Weight loss is often dismissed as being simple, and yet the success rate is so low, there's a lot more that may go into weight loss and maintenance than not "eating too much of the wrong things." Besides which, what are the wrong things? Without the research, I never would have found out what the "wrong things" for me were. I would have never considered low carb eating for me, because I'd heard how bad and dangerous it was, and there was some research to back that up. Newer research is showing that low carb dieting may not be right for some folks, and might be perfect for others (again which wouldn't be found without researchers finally considering that maybe all fat folks aren't fat for the same reason, and might need different approaches to lose weight). For folks of any weight, low carb (or at least low grain) may be the "right" diet for folks with autoimmune disease. The research is still out, and more is needed (but that my autoimmune disease slowed into a possible remission on a low carb diet, and some of the symptoms returned after carb binging around the holidays, certainly makes me wonder). Research also has suggested that folks (like me) with insulin resistance and/or fibromyalgia also feel better on low carb or low GI diets.

I never would have tried low carb dieting without my doctor's recommendation, and the research that backed him up, because low carb dieting does not have the reputation of being healthy for anyone. Without the research, I wouldn't have thought to try low carb dieting. My doctor recommended it for my insulin resistance, and I soon noticed that it definitely affected my fibromyalgia symptoms, so I wasn't surprised when I read that anectdotal and research evidence that fibromyalgia patients experience worse flares on high carb diets.

The research does make a difference. The fewer weight loss attempts a person has, probably the better - since there is research that suggests that each weight loss attempt might further lower metabolism. Also, statistically we know the more overweight a person is, the harder it is for them to get the weight off, and the less chance they have of keeping it off. It makes sense to nip weight gain in the bud early and prevent folks from getting on the obesity rollercoaster at all.

Some of the research may be silly, but we're still in obesity dark ages, compared to other research. We know more about drug addiction, pharmaceuticals and cancer than we do about obesity.

Last edited by kaplods; 01-26-2009 at 06:29 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:37 PM   #23  
Last Stretch

S/C/G: 234/158/132 restart Nov'12@188

Height: 5"1'

The fact that some people may be more susceptible to weight gain and obesity -- because of a virus or other factors -- is important to effective treatment and to support modification of behavior. It's understanding and putting together the puzzle pieces that could make all the difference to a longer, healthier, more productive, and, yes, thinner, life.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:03 AM   #24  

uhh...................

All I have to say about that is... W.... T.... F...

Last edited by lalique; 01-28-2009 at 04:03 AM.
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:03 PM   #25  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

What if we have baby pics to prove we were fat from birth?
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote