Old 05-03-2007, 08:50 PM   #1  
Living and Learning

S/C/G: 304/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 3"

Default Anyone ever done a colon cleanse?

I know, kind of gross, but I am just wondering.

My naturopathic doctor is recommending a colon cleanse as he says my body is not absorbing the nutrients I eat.

I'm not so sure I want to have the hydro-colonic done (just cause I don't want someone looking down there! UGH! )

I am thinking of a home one with herbs. I have read about several different ones (blessed herbs) and I am seriously considering it.

Anybody had one, done one or have any words of wisdom?

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks so much!
gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 146/138/125

Height: 5'5

I have done extensive reading on them and I think that a hydro-colonic is the best way to go if you want it to be safe and effective. I was planning to have one, but my doctor said that it probably wouldn't be a good idea for me since I have Corhn's disease. But for healthy people I think it can be a really effective way of cleansing the bowel. The one thing is that it does wash away a lot of the "good" bacteria in the bowel so they don't suggest doing it often.
If you are on the path with healthy eating and exercize it is supposed to help give you that "light" feeling which might help you stay motivated.
I would say speak to your M.D. but if they are on board then go for it.

P.S. Don't worry about someone looking "down there", I don't know about where you are, but the people who do it around here (Toronto) are these older Russian ladies that have a great sense of humor. Just think of it like a bikini wax, you'll have to get used to the idea for when you reach your goal weight and want to strap one on for the summer and show off.
Ash15+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:33 AM   #3  
Starting is half the task

S/C/G: 330/ticker/160

Height: 5'10

As much as we would love to think it, what we got ain't nothin' special. colonic is the best route, and I have friends that swear by them. I wouldn't worry about it, and just get it done by a professional. You never know if over the counter or herbal is going to work correctly. If a doctor is involved, at least someone can monitor it.

hth and Goodluck!
Cokia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:46 AM   #4  

Quote:
colonic is the best route
The best route for what? The colon is generally self-cleansing.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I don't know if this is ANY help - but when I was younger I went on something called the Yeast Connection and I had this DIGUSTING drink every morning and it cleaned my RIGHT out. The medical issues I was having went away, partly because of my diet, but I was also told that there was "stuff" sitting in my colon making me sicker. I say, get it done!! If the colon is self cleaning, this is just a little help! I'd be VERY curious to hear how it all goes - so if you to do.. I'd love an update!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:06 AM   #6  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

This may be inappropriate, but I saw a bit about this on Hogan Knows Best- it sounded scary. Update when you get done, maybe the silliness of reality TV just made it seem terrible.
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:22 AM   #7  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

I did Colonix for a month, but I really didn't notice a dramatic change. I've always been pretty regular though, so I guess my colon is of the self-cleaning variety. LOL.
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:57 PM   #8  
Starting is half the task

S/C/G: 330/ticker/160

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
The best route for what? The colon is generally self-cleansing.
Of the two choices. (It was a this or that question and I answered it.) Dr. regulated or do it yourself. I choose dr. regulated since that is his suggestion.
Cokia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:49 PM   #9  
Living and Learning

Hi everyone,
Thank you for the input. I have booked an appointment for next week (with a woman so I am not so self concious!)

I will let you know how it goes.

My naturo doc explained it like this:
I have been eating so much garbage for the past 10 years, all the toxins from my toxic diet build up in the colon reducing its efficiency. It is so inefficient that I cannot extract the nutrients from the food I am eating. The cleanse will remove all the plaque and gunk so that I will benefit from the good food I have been eating the past month or so.

As a bonus, the plaque it removes is quite heavy so I will lose a few pounds
Woot woot!
Old 05-08-2007, 12:21 AM   #10  
Losin It For GOOD!

Hey - don't get too down on this BUT, I was just in the hospital, and had to have a FULL colonoscopy - I mean ALL the way up into the small intestine. I had to drink this stuff that made me run to the bathroom every 5 minutes, and then while they were "in there" they sucked out everything my body didn't get rid of the normal way.

I only lost about 1 lb.

HOWEVER, it did really reset my body for starting new habits - like no caffeine, no fried foods. I have not eaten 1 single fried item in 2 months now, and have no desire to. SO, there are benefits from "resetting the system."

BA99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:06 PM   #11  
someday, we all hope!

S/C/G: 253/185/145

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA99TJ View Post
I was just in the hospital, and had to have a FULL colonoscopy... it did really reset my body for starting new habits... SO, there are benefits from "resetting the system."
Sounds like you had a situation where the doctors didn't give you much choice! Glad it went so well; these things can feel very embarassing or even incredibly invasive, when you didn't expressly ask for them. Thank-you for giving us the results; I figure that's the only reason why you'd bother recounting this!

I had an experience with an emergency enema once, that was bad enough. It wasn't exactly a colon cleanse as given by naturopaths, nor anything like a colonoscopy, so there isn't much to learn from it, sorry. Just that I really admire Beth Ann's bravery for bringing her experience out for the rest of us!
becoming wisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:45 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 246/244/143

Height: 5'6''

Colonics alone won't accomplish much IMO. A parasite cleanse or a colon cleanse paired up wth colinics, however, is a fantastic health tool.

I do believe in colon cleanses if they are done with good-quality products and supervised by a nutritionist/kinesiologist. I don not believe in colon cleanses when done with those cheap, often very aggressive products often sold on TV.

BTW; noone "looks up there" during colonics. I found it very relaxing. My colon hyrotherapist would put on some relaxing music and burn essential oils while massaging my tummy. There is a brief uncomfortable moment when they insert it at first, but if you'v done a colonoscopy the worst is definitely over!!!
FitMomEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:46 AM   #13  
Living and Learning

Well, I had it done today. I am not impressed at all.

It was uncomfortable, embarrassing and now I feel bloated and tired.

I guess I will wait and see how I feel tomorrow. Hopefully it has cleaned me out and I will be able to properly use the nutrients I am eating.

Sigh......live and learn
Old 05-10-2007, 02:57 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 250/233/137

Height: 5'6"

I hope that you are feeling better soon. You must be feeling very disappointed. But as you say, for better or worse it is over now, and if you don't notice any benefits you don't ever have to get it done again. You never know, you may wake up feeling amazing!
Lillibeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:41 PM   #15  
Living and Learning

Well, I don't feel too bad today so I guess it wasn't that bad after all. I still wouldn't have another one done though.

Next time (in the fall), I will do a herbal cleanse instead.

Thanks for all of your input, I really appreciate it!