Old 01-13-2009, 07:56 AM   #16  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

Kinda off topic but somewhat "Diet Pepsi Related"...the person who posted about drinking 5-10 cans a day of Diet Dr. Pepper made me think of posting my public service announcement.

I've had issues with depression and anxiety for years that I've treated with Prozac. I had a few years where I felt like I was cured of that as I felt great without medication...Anyway...I somehow got addicted to Diet Pepsi and was drinking 6-8 cans a day. I ended up with the worst crushing depression ever and really disabling anxiety. I struggled with horrible headaches and insomnia, too. I had never had those symptoms with my depression. I couldn't get out of bed and was on the verge of suicide. I had never had any depressive episodes like that. When I finally got to the Dr. and told her I felt more depressed than I ever had...somehow we got on to the topic of diet. It came out that I was drinking so much Diet Pepsi. She surmised that the depression was brought on by Aspartame (artificial sweetner). Low and behold, I quit the Diet Pepsi and the depression switched from the worst ever depression to just the garden variety depression I was used to. I never believed the bad press about Aspartame but did after that!!

I do have to admit, I still LOVE Diet Pepsi and have some now and then. I limit myself to 1 can a day though.
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:14 AM   #17  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Trazey, it's great how you identified your "problem". I think this is a big factor in weight loss. Identifying obstacles and then working around them. And those "problems" will change from time to time. Always good to be on the look out for them.

Diet sodas don't do this to me. I have a can of Cannefields Chocolate soda about 4x a week. Usually when I'm looking to eat, just to eat. This 0 calorie treat satisfies me.

I also find Diet soda to be a good diversion and a way of avoiding off plan FOOD while at a party or eating out. I'd much rather down the soda, then the food.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:20 AM   #18  
Blue Blood

S/C/G: 293/274/150

Height: 5'10"

Diet soda doesn't make me feel snacky...but it adds about 5 lbs. of bloat when I drink it on a regular basis. probably because I could drink it all day long and not drink water...and often did just that. Diet soda was a tough one for me to kick. I still treat myself to a bottle every week or so while I am out running errands and I find it keeps me satisfyingly ( is that a word yet?) full enough to stay out of the drive thru's So I have made my peace with it's place in my life now.
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:21 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Height: 5'8"

I think I am the opposite. I have a diet soda, and it helps me to avoid eating the crapola foods. Its like in my mind, that is my snack. Its hard to explain.
xJox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:28 AM   #20  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I think that the desire to eat while having a diet drink is a learned habit like wanting to eat while watching tv.

I am also a Diet Dr. Pepper drinker but I have to limit myself to 2 cans a day to be sure that I get enough water in.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:53 AM   #21  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Diet sodas trigger carb cravings for me, so I avoid them completely. I used to have several caffeine-free diet Pepsis a day when I was doing Atkins before, and I struggled with horrible carb cravings. I believe the diet Pepsi contributed to that. I haven't had one in six months and I am not struggling with carb cravings now. Just my $.02.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:49 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 310/250/140

Height: 5'4"

When I gave up sugar I switched to Coke Zero instead of Coke. I noticed I started getting cravings when I drank the diet soda. My feet swell if I drink diet soda now because of the high sodium content. I miss diet soda but had to realize that for me it's not a good choice, my body doesn't need the chemicals.
Badgerette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:06 PM   #23  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

There is a theory that diet soda can make you want sweets more. The theory says that even though it doesn't effect your blood sugar, it does send the message to your brain that you are eating sweets and therefore, want more of them.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote