Old 01-12-2009, 12:14 AM   #16  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

I have a pair of Brooks shoes that I love - I bought them online from someplace with a really good return policy and man do I love using them. They literally put spring in my step.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:17 AM   #17  
=D

Rodeo girl - I have a pair of Brooks, too. They really are a great shoe. What kind do you have?
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:19 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 249.9/ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

Well, I worked out on my treadmill for 40 min a little while ago, and now I can barely walk! My legs are just killing me. I am thinking it has to do with my shoes. I wear a pair of nikes, but they aren't too great. I guess I need to start shoe shopping.

Can anyone recommend an excellent pair of shoes?
autumns19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:20 AM   #19  
career counselor a-gogo

I have big wide feet - mine are called "The Beast" lol but they work awesome.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:25 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 249.9/ticker/120

I have very wide feet, too. The only shoes that I can fit into are crocs and running shoes.
autumns19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:34 AM   #21  
=D

I have Brooks Liberty runners and my feet are kinda wide too...ish.
I highly recommend them, autumns19 - for things like running and plyometrics involving your legs like jump squats - they do a great job at helping absorb impact.

I've heard Asics also does a great running shoe, but can't speak from experience. New balance....eeeh - not so great. Same goes for Adidas. You get a much bigger bang fo your buck if you spend a little more and get a pair of Brooks.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:04 AM   #22  
career counselor a-gogo

This is the first pair of Brooks I've owned and it's not often that a product impresses me but I have to say these really have.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:10 AM   #23  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

how old are the shoes? i used to play an awful lot of rugby and my conditioning coach was/is very highly qualified and has now gone onto a very high level he told me if you weigh over 100kg (around 220lb) and you train regularly you should change your shoes every 3 months as the weight of the body and the impact of the foot breaks down the shock absorbancy.

1 new shoes. mizhuno are traditionally regarded as having fantasitc arch support.
2. have you looked into inserts? sorbathane are big over here. its a slim rubber insole that absorbs shock.
3. treadmill! i hate them personally. the problem with a treadmill is the belt moves at a regular speed but when your walking or running you don't have a regular stride pattern thats why you can sometimes move around on the belt left/right back/forth. if you don't get your foot flat in time in the right place the belt will just pull the foot back regardless and put strain on the leg. have you considered leaving the treamill and hitting the road?

4. have you been to the doctor? there is the possiblity of shin splints pray its not. if thats the case the doc will advise you what to do. i'd suggest resting your legs for a week move off the treadmill get new shoes and try swimming/aqua aerobics if you can find a place.
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:51 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

I find using the incline hurts my feet (I have orthotics in my running shoes), so I go for speed and distance. I can climb hills in the real world, but going at a quick pace on a treadmill uphill is hard on me for some reason. DH on the other hand, has the opposite problem--straight out flat hurts HIS feet!

Maybe just ignore the incline for now and try to walk/jog faster.
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:43 PM   #25  
yes girl

S/C/G: 201.4/179.8/130

Height: 5'0"

just wanted to let ya'll know that i didnt use the incline today and i had no pain in my shins. it was great. and i still felt like it was a good workout. i still plan on getting new shoes, though. thanks for the input.
onestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:37 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

My trainer has told me that endurance is more important than speed. She has encouraged me to use the incline but slow down and that seems to help with the shin splints. I find that over time I can increase the speed.

Also, I just got back from Canyon Ranch where they encouraged "intervals". So kick up the incline for 1-2 minutes, then go flat, the same with the speed.
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote