Old 12-29-2008, 02:17 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
I count calories, eat clean, and exercise and so far it's worked for me!

I budget around 1500 cals a day (+/- about 100, just depending on my day). I eat 3 meals and 3-4 snacks a day and I try to eat foods that are fresh and natural - avoiding the prepackaged stuff as much as possible.

I exercise anywhere from 30-60 minutes a day, 5-6 days a week, and I have to say that I think the exercise has made a huge difference in my progress and my commitment!
Wow, that was short and sweet and exactly what I needed to read. I notice we're almost the same weight and I was confused with the online calorie calculators. My plan was to do exactly what you do, but was unsure because the online calculators were telling me to eat 1800/1900 calories, etc.

meltitaway: You could also start by recording every single thing you eat normally in a little notebook or paper for a few days or even a week. Once you see it all on paper, you will begin to realize what you are overeating, when you are overeating, etc. Then you can take steps to try to fix it.

For example, if you see that every night you eat 1000 calorie snack, you can see that you need to replace it with a 200 calorie snack, etc.

I just find, once you see it on paper and start becoming aware, you'll find it easier to know where to begin switching up things to a healthier substitute.

I just think that when you completely switch everything up, your body starts to fight it. Then it becomes hard and you "fall off the wagon" so to speak. Instead of taking away that snack at night that your body is used to, replace the snack. It helps any kind of withdrawal that is going to happen.

~CGH~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:51 PM   #17  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

I had 150ish pounds to lose when I started, and I guess I just didn't think about that number except as a long-term goal I'd reach "someday." More than that, I've been planning on losing to reach things like: The weight I was when my daughter was born, the weight I was when I met my husband, the weight I was when I quit eating sugar the FIRST time in my life that I did that, etc. And I have to say, even just losing 20 pounds was rewarding. Then 30, 40, 50...it gets better and better. Compared to 50 pounds ago, I look and feel like a million bucks, and everyone around me thinks so, too.

So I'd say--make your plan, then anticipate racking up the pleasurable rewards of weight loss as you go. Weighing 20, 30, 40, or 50 pounds less than you weigh now is totally worth the effort, even if you never lose more weight after that. Being healthier and looking better is totally worth the effort, even if you never achieve your ultimate goal weight.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:46 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Starting is the hardest thing. I was 278 when I started. You can plan and plot and get the best program available but it really comes down to what you are doing THIS MINUTE. Putting a cookie in your mouth? Put it down. Spit it out. Driving to McDonald's? Turn around and go home. Sitting on the sofa? Go take a walk. It's not what you're gonna do later that gets the weight off. It's what you're doing right now.

Stick around, this is a great bunch of people!
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:17 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 226/226/135

Height: 5ft 1in

yeh, i know how you feel i have 100 lbs to lose, i know it is going to be hard but i have got to do something, i can't keep going on the way i am
mercyme101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:19 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 177

Height: 5'2

Absolutely...make a long term goal but break it down into less daunting mini-goals. And don't be afraid to change your goals as you go along...they don't always have to revolve around the number on a scale. Take things meal by meal or even bite by bite if you have to. Until you really find your confidence you may stumble (heck, even after you are an old pro at losing weight you'll trip up). The important thing to remember is that overeating at breakfast doesn't mean you have to overeat at lunch, a blown snack doesn't mean you can't have a reasonable dinner. Pat yourself on the back for every meal you get right and take a look at the ones that aren't quite so stellar and figure out what went wrong (this is where journaling and sites like Fitday can help). And try not to get frustrated. Remember, losing weight often boils down to trial and error. Your calorie range, your exercise habits, your food choices are all very personal and what works for one person may not work for you. So, keep and open mind, try what makes sense to you and, if it doesn't work, try something else. But don't give up because you CAN do this! We all can!
southern shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:29 PM   #21  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

If there is anything that I have learned here at 3FC is that many different plans will work, if you STICK WITH IT. So often we run around and try to find the "perfect" plan and the truth is that you have to find a plan that works for you. One that fits your lifestyle and habits and creates a new lifestyle that you can STICK TO.

I think your plan sounds awesome, but only you know if it's doable for you!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote