Old 12-16-2008, 09:52 PM   #1  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

Default Dumb question...When will I lose the tummy?

Okay. I know in the grand scheme of things, 10 lbs down out of 100 to lose, is early days yet, but....when will my belly start to shrink??

I've lost 10 lbs, I can see it in my face, my bra is loose and my jeans are getting a bit baggy in the butt...my jeans are just as tight across my belly. I have to really stand up straight and suck it in to get my jean button fastened. That has not changed.not.one.bit.

Of all the places I want to lose, the 9 months pregnant belly/apron of fat, is the first that I want to go yet it seems like my body is really holding on to it!!

All you folks that have lost a significant amount of weight...did you lose it equally all over or a little here early on and a little there...later?

Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I lost it the most in the belly at first, but I think it's a body type thing. I'm a pear, and the big abdomen was the last thing I gained. I mean, sure, I had a tummy on me, but it was in the last 10-20 pounds that I felt like I was turning into a different figure type because of the belly fat. I would think someone more of an apple shape would lose in the belly last. Not that they wouldn't lose some all along, but it won't be the main place they lose up front.

But in any event, I have found that I didn't lose inches evenly over time. One week I would lose in my arms and legs. Another week in my waist and belly. Another week in the chest.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:19 PM   #3  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Everyone is different - but after having two kids and being 50+ - even at a healthy weight, I still have my "apron". Other areas have returned to normal

Thank heavens for great undergarments!

Last edited by CountingDown; 12-16-2008 at 10:20 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:22 PM   #4  

Height: 5'9"

My stomach has shrunk a bit, but I still have a big stomach. I'm apple shaped, so basically ALL my weight is in my stomach, I'm sure that will be the last place to lose for me. But, it has gone down a bit.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 182/143/135

Height: 5'9

I'm an apple shape too and my belly is always last to shrink. It seems like it always goes down a size when I push a little past the time I just want to give up. Now I just keep telling myself it will go down.
HealthPNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I am still battling my stomach. It was one of the last areas to go for me. I do believe genetics will determine what will go next. My thighs..ugghhh..
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/150

Height: 5' 11"

Hey Michelle,

We are both tall, and in the same weight range. I have lost about 17 lbs, and my pants aren't as tight anymore as it use to be - but I still don't think it is a perfect fit. I think I should loose around 8 more pounds before they actually fit - which is 25 lbs loss in total.

When I started, I also had to really suck it in to button my jeans. I also HAD to wear a belt, as my jeans kept crawling down.

I really do think that you will see a big difference at around 20 / 25 lbs loss.

I know when I lost weight in the past, I didn't feel the loss for, like, 20 lbs, but then I would loose another 2 lbs, and all of a sudden I would feel a BIG difference all over my body.

Good luck!
Findmyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:23 PM   #8  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Everyone loses in different places. It seems that we never lose first in the part of the body we want! I could first tell a difference in my hands and wrists. Like I had said, "Oh, I can't wait until my wrist and hands get smaller."

Hang in there, keep losing and your stomach will shrink.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news ... but for a lot of women the tummy is the very last to go, especially if it's the first place you gain.

I have lost 70 lbs and while my tummy has shrunk considerably, it's still where I hold on to most of my remaining fat. I suspect it'll be one of the last places I lose from.

The good news is that it *will* go eventually. Or mostly anyway.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 12-16-2008 at 11:24 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:24 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvja View Post
My stomach has shrunk a bit, but I still have a big stomach. I'm apple shaped, so basically ALL my weight is in my stomach, I'm sure that will be the last place to lose for me. But, it has gone down a bit.
I'm the same in a way. Apparently my stomach was much bigger before...makes me wonder how huge?! I am loosing it in my stomach though, but I hate how it hangs lol. I'm pear shaped though, everything south is chunk city...

My belly has shrunk though...totally.
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:47 PM   #11  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

My tummy tends to shrink faster and get somewhat..mushy?.. when I'm on the treadmill for 60 minutes, 5 days a week and eating clean...whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats and healthy fats in moderation. I have extremely large hips, thighs, buttocks and stomach, but the stomach and buttocks seem to go first.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:03 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Ah ... the mushy thing. I have what someone here referred to as "jiggly fat" around my tummy. Everywhere else I've lost, it's shrunk and fat has .. I dunno ... redistributed? But my tummy gets that mushy jiggly thing going on. It got better for a while when I was hovering around 178 for a few months. I think the "jiggle" tighted up. But then I started losing again, and it got jiggly again.

I'm hoping that the "jiggle" part goes away.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:41 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 244/ticker!/140

Height: 5'7"

It's weird, isn't it, how the weight goes? When I started losing, first I lost a ton off of my hips and thighs, then my belly, then all my back fat -- now I'm hoping to start losing again off of hips/lower belly pouch. I feel like even though I lose a little bit all over, the most noticeable loss happens in zones. But maybe it just seems that way because it's what I notice?
rubbytummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:48 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Mine's still there, but when I was around 190 it was pretty much gone. I'm pear shaped though, and everyone's different.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:06 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle98272 View Post
Okay. I know in the grand scheme of things, 10 lbs down out of 100 to lose, is early days yet, but....when will my belly start to shrink??

I've lost 10 lbs, I can see it in my face, my bra is loose and my jeans are getting a bit baggy in the butt...my jeans are just as tight across my belly. I have to really stand up straight and suck it in to get my jean button fastened. That has not changed.not.one.bit.

Of all the places I want to lose, the 9 months pregnant belly/apron of fat, is the first that I want to go yet it seems like my body is really holding on to it!!

All you folks that have lost a significant amount of weight...did you lose it equally all over or a little here early on and a little there...later?

I didn't change sizes till well after 30lbs were lost. I;ve lost almost 70 now and I still have a belly. Getting rid of it will take lots of hard work I'm thinking.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote