3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   How is everyone doing with holiday goodies? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/158680-how-everyone-doing-holiday-goodies.html)

Smiling_Sara 12-15-2008 12:09 PM

How is everyone doing with holiday goodies?

We all know this time of the year brings extra goodies around, no matter how hard we try. Maybe we aren't even making any, but we go to parties, and they are there, we go to stores, they are passing them out, we go to work, and they are in the break room! Was just wondering how everyone is doing with the temptations...I know I have given in a couple times to them...

Michelle98272 12-15-2008 12:22 PM

It seems that fresh baked cookies, cakes, fudge, pie etc...are triggers for me. Soooooooooooo...I'm not eating any. Period.

"Just a taste." has derailed many a plan for me. A taste leads to eating the whole thing, which leads to eating ALL of them, which leads to guilt, which leads to condemnation, which leads to quitting.

Maybe next year, I'll have a better grip on triggers and can indulge.

luvja 12-15-2008 12:22 PM

Not gonna lie - I've given in to temptation a few times!

cartp 12-15-2008 12:32 PM

given in as well.
forming a plan for the new year and trying not to beat myself up to much right now

TJFitnessDiva 12-15-2008 12:35 PM

I haven't given in so far but I am allowing myself to have a small treat at our family's Christmas Eve gathering & on Christmas since we are having Turducken :)

I'm planning on upping my exercise on those days to help soften the blow lol

time2lose 12-15-2008 12:37 PM

As I reply to this, there are Christmas cookies sitting on the counter of our office suite that I have to walk by every time I enter or exit the office. I am just trying to ignore them because I know that it is easier to resist the first cookie than the third or fourth one. It is like being an alcoholic, one is too many and a thousand aren’t enough.

That being said, I went to a holiday party Friday night and I am pleased with the way I handled the food. I wanted to let myself enjoy the party and eat some of my favorite foods but without sending myself into a junk food binge. I allowed myself 400 extra calories for the day and ate a low calorie lunch. I also ate a salad before going to the party.

I estimated the calorie content of the foods I chose at the party and drank Diet Coke. When I got home I logged the food and got the calorie content. I had estimated pretty well and it turned out that I consumed 1800 calories for the day. While I may not lose weight at 1800 calories, I should not gain any either.

I have some more parties coming up and plan to use the same approach. I find the food at the office harder to deal with!

SnowboundChick 12-15-2008 12:45 PM

It's hard but I"m avoiding as much as I can.

Though, the boys all four (including hubby) want baked good. For instance I finally made banana bread yesterday after they'd been asking for a week. I had two pieces yesterday which was a feat in itself, I'd usually eat half the loaf. I did bring 2 pieces with me this morning for work.

I'm doing good though. I didn't snack or have cake at a birhtday party I went to on the weekend, it's little steps for me and doing what I can and remembering that I control what I eat. I have good days and bad but it's getting there slowly.

cfmama 12-15-2008 01:08 PM

I'm avoiding them. I have not given in so far. I will have one treat on Christmas eve and one Christmas day though so I'm looking forward to that :)

rubbytummy 12-15-2008 01:14 PM

I was really proud of myself for baking over 600 cookies for a cookie decorating party, then getting through the whole night only eating three (which I had budgeted into my day.) Buuuut, the leftover chocolate chips definitely ruined a day for me until I came to my senses and threw them away.

Like a lot of people on here, I'm allowing myself one treat on Christmas Eve, one on the day, and hopefully that should be enough. Alcohol is going to be much harder to control, with all the holiday parties...

WarMaiden 12-15-2008 01:19 PM

I haven't given in because I know that most of what is around me doesn't taste as good as it looks. Also, I had some (planned) pizza on Saturday, and it made me feel utterly crappy for the rest of the day; I'm just not interested in going -there- for "treats."

However, my mom will be making cristopsomo (Greek Christmas bread flavored with anise) this week I think, and I'm definitely having some of that. It's the one thing I won't give up, because it's like the definition of holiday baking to me. I have some indulgences planned for Christmas and New Year's Eve, too; but they are no-sugar indulgences. (Sugar is my downfall and therefore I need to keep avoiding it.)

Melody2006 12-15-2008 01:20 PM

I'm the type that can't just have 1, so I can't have any. I feel better when I say no and just forget about them. So far, no sabotage.

daniela 12-15-2008 01:23 PM

I'm avoiding it. My company holiday party had a Chocolate Fondue station...:devil:

I had to leave the party early because I felt like a crackhead in a crackhouse with free crack everywhere!!! It was hard but I feel stronger knowing I didn't give into temptation.

I do plan on having a few cookies at my mother-in-laws at Christmas but I will plan for it by more exercise the day before.

daniela 12-15-2008 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubbytummy (Post 2498257)
Alcohol is going to be much harder to control, with all the holiday parties...

DITTO! Some of my friends have been saying they miss "Fun Daniela" since I don't drink much at all these days.

Alcohol is a challenge...how is everyone handling that? I miss my martinis :(

foxxy511 12-15-2008 01:31 PM

I had a mini-breakdown over a cake my mom made last night for my brothers because they're home for the holidays. I came back from my workout, saw a Stoffer's lasagna on the counter and smelled cake in the oven. Since it's near TOM, I have a hard time controlling myself anyways and having the house loaded with junk is not helping matters.

So, I showered, locked myself in my room (away from the lasagna and cake) and freaked out for about 20 minutes about how I hate not being able to eat whatever I want, whenever I want, and however much I want. I got on 3FC and that actually calmed me down, lol (thanks!). But then, I went downstairs and told my mom how having that stuff in the house made me feel and she said "So just have a little piece." Clearly she doesn't get it. I don't WANT a little piece, and if I do, I'll budget for it. It's the unnecessary temptation that I don't want. When cake is around, I can't help but want it, even though I don't actually want it (does that make sense?). I can understand the lasagna...my brothers need to eat, and I was happy with my dinner, but it's the cake I don't get. My brothers are getting a little hefty themselves...they don't need cake either. It doesn't need to be in the house. Especially since we're going to be making Christmas cookies soon too.

Ugh, sorry, that turned into a rant. The cake is still downstairs, driving me slowly insane, but I don't really want, so I'm going to avoid the voice of 270lb Emily telling me that I want it. What does she know?

kelly315 12-15-2008 01:56 PM

yay! I made like six dozen cookies (maybe more) and brownies for my neighbors and boyfriend, and I didn't have one. Cookie dough is my one weakness, but I didn't even taste it.