Old 11-20-2008, 02:00 PM   #1  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Default A Magical Land

As I walk down the path before me I pause to adjust my heavy pack. The day is bright, birds are chirping, and I feel the warm sun on my face. My path is broad and hard packed; the day is filled with hope.

You see I am traveling to a magical place - a kingdom that I have never been to but heard much about. It's a place where dreams come true and where finally I can set down my pack once and for all.

I am not the only traveler on this path, I can see others on the horizon and have passed others who are behind me. Sometimes I meet a fellow traveler and we walk together. The talk inevitably turns to our destination.

From time to time a traveler passes us going back the way we came. She warns us of a murky swamp that lies ahead and the ghosts that haunt it. Sometimes we talk and the traveler decides to turn back and try again, this time walking step by step with my fellow travelers.

We travel alone or in groups depending on the day and the pace. Somedays we take only a few steps - other days we plod along and the miles melt beneath our feet. All the time we wonder what it will be like, that day that we reach the magical kingdom of Onederland.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:55 PM   #2  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

What a great analogy to our journey through this new world!! Thanks!
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:59 PM   #3  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

That actually made me tear up

Let's walk together swinging hands and share the heavy pack Because when we all shoulder a bit of the load, things get easier
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:04 AM   #4  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Great way to describe the journey that we tread to get to that magical place called onderland. I know without the ladies and gents on here I would never have got to this once dreamt about land.

It is so true about that we are not the only traveller on this path without other travellers who have given me a helping hand when I have need it or the for that matter I would never have reached the dreamt land.

Hold on tight and lets carry this heavy pack together eventually throwing the bag off the cliff when you get there

Last edited by purpleorc; 11-21-2008 at 06:05 AM.
purpleorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 305/172.6/135

Height: 5foot 4 inches

aaawwww, this did make me tear up! i love it
HVEECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:09 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Wow. I really enjoyed reading that and I too teared up.

Onederland IS a magical place, that is open to everyone. There's tons of room here and all is welcome and encouraged to enter!!!! So come on over there's a seat waiting here just for you.

I remember the day I reached the lovely and special place. I can tell you there were plenty of tears on that day.

Wait a sec. I just had an idea. Okay. I just searched and found the post that I wrote here at 3FC on that wonderful, miraculous day, back on January 29, 2007.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...71&postcount=1

I have some ONEderful news!

I've made it ONEderland. Monday's are my weigh-in day and I am down 2 lbs since last week, which brings me to 199 lbs. I am very pleased to have that little 1 in front of my weight. It's been a looong time. Although I can't tell you exactly how long, since I had avoided the scale for close to 15 years prior to my lifestyle change. 199 is a very nice number indeed since I started this venture at 287 lbs. But I've still got a lot of work that needs to be done. I am really looking forward to losing another 12 lbs which will bring my total weightloss to 100lbs. And then there's 175 and 160 and 143 (half of my former self) and then 130 and 125 and who knows........it's all up to me.

Some things I've discovered so far and some random thoughts in no particular order:

-Knowing how or why I let myself get so heavy in the first place is irrelevant. Still not sure as to why I thought it was okay to be so fat. Still not sure why I thought I didn't deserve the chance to have the very best possible life that I can have. Still not sure why I was willing to settle for second best, when first was within my reach. I may never know. You don't need to figure everything out before you make a change.

-I spend a lot less time worrying now. I was always worried when I was 287 lbs. Worried when I had to go to a social event - what would I wear? Would I get a "good" seat? Would I have to stand a lot? What would I wear? I was worried about my children's school functions, some issues as above. Going to a movie was worrisome, would the aisle seat be available and would I be able to get it? Every single party and event brought on tons and tons of anxieties. What if there's folding chairs? Would I break it? Or lawn chairs? Beach chairs? Yup, I was always worried about chairs. I haven't flown for over 13 years due to this fact. For the record I no longer worry about them any more. Then there was the constant worrying about putting myself at increased risk for certain cancers and heart disease and diabetes. I just spent an awful lot of time worrying. Now, not so much. I spend more time doing.

-Clothes shopping is an absolute joy now. I actually cried in a dressing room recently. I became so overwhelmed by the fact that I was in a regular sized store. I simply can not wait to see what it will be like as I get closer to my goal.

-Food was never the enemy, or the scale - it was me the whole time. I was my own worst enemy.

-My old life was full of shame. Being so sedentary and inactive was a big source of embarassment for me. That is no longer the case. The ability to exercise and have movement and activity in one's life is a joy and a blessing.

-I absolutely love how I eat now. I am so proud of my food choices. The healthy foods in normal sized-portions. I was ashamed of how I used to eat. I had to hide it from the world. I felt sneaky and dirty. Just yuck. I can now shout out my eating habits from the rooftops. I eat just as healthy as anyone else, if not more so.

-Collar bones are sexier and prettier then any diamond necklace in the world. Without a doubt!

-It is absolutely possible to reprogram the brain. This new lifestyle is completely ingrained in my brain. It's like I've discovered a new religon or something. And I like it. I've done a complete 180.

-Determination and commitment increases as you go along. Obsession is an added bonus.

-Energy is a wonderful, wonderful thing. And very new to me. I like it.

-I am so lucky to have found 3FC. I have learned a lot from this place.

-I loved food before, I love it now, maybe more so. Though I definitely love myself more.

-Nothing tastes quite as delicious as walking up a flight of stairs without getting winded. Nothing tastes quite as yummy as being able to get off the floor quickly.

-I've given up nothing by giving up the high calorie, high fat, high sugar, high quantity of food. Nothing, nothing, nothing. I have gained so much in every aspect of my life. There is not one area that has not seen great improvement, socially, physically, mentally. From minor things to major things.

-Food should not be used for consolement, boredom, lonliness, anger, happiness and the such. Remeber it IS possible to reprogram the brain.

-Food was my so called drug of choice. But it was my indeed my choice. I am the one that chose to eat my way up to 287lbs. I now choose to be healthy and fit and trim and active. We can't change our height ( ), our eye color or the weather. We have no control over those things. We most certainly have the control over our weight, maybe not down to the last few pounds or so, but we have control over it for the most part. We have the power. It's always been there. Like Dorothy and her red slippers. She always had the power to get back to Kansas, she just didn't always know it.

Wow, that was something to see again. Thanks rodeogirl for giving me the chance to seek this out. I will never take for granted the fact that I am here in ONEderland. And again, it's a place where all are welcomed. I look forward to seeing you here.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 11-21-2008 at 09:41 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:41 AM   #7  
Living and Learning

S/C/G: 304/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 3"

RockinRobin posted:

-Food was never the enemy, or the scale - it was me the whole time. I was my own worst enemy.

Yes! How true, how true.

Rodeogirl, that is a beautiful analogy of our journey. Thank you for sharing! I have printed it out and pinned it next to my monitor to see every day.
gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:17 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 268/258.4/140

Height: 5'6"

Thumbs up

That's so loverly.

---------

iridescent crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:42 AM   #9  

Height: 5'7"

wow..that was great!!! I teared up!
It was also great reading robins accounts of getting into onderland. I am getting closer but it seems so much harder now. I know i have not been focused enough! I am still losing but its much harder without exercise. I will get to onederland!!
thanks for sharing!!

Last edited by dgramie; 11-22-2008 at 08:43 AM.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:56 PM   #10  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Robin thanks for sharing your post about entering the gates of Onederland. It's inspiring to see that you still make your residence there. I'm looking forward to meeting up with you when I get there, perhaps you can give me a tour?
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:44 AM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgramie View Post
. I am getting closer but it seems so much harder now. I know i have not been focused enough! I am still losing but its much harder without exercise. I will get to onederland!!
thanks for sharing!!
Oh I can't even imagine where I'd be without the exercise. It's just another piece of the weight loss/maintenance puzzle. It's reallly vital. Just one more of those things that you must accept and DO if you want to get to and stay at a healthy weight, IMO. I mean why not make it easier if it CAN be? Maybe just start walking. Nothing fancy. A 20 minute walk here, a 15 minute walk there. And I did great with an inexpensive resistance band.

Congratulations on your weigh loss thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeogirl View Post
It's inspiring to see that you still make your residence there. I'm looking forward to meeting up with you when I get there, perhaps you can give me a tour?
Please, I THANK YOU for giving me the opportunity to dredge up that old post. It came at a good time, close to the holidays, and I enjoyed reflecting on it. A good reminder of why I never want to be any where else BUT in ONEderland. And of course, I'm still here silly , I've worked too darn hard to get there. Besides I love, love, LOVE it here and you can't get me to leave. I've taken up permanent residency. Hey, it's my choice afterall, right? It is up to me whether I stay or not. And I most definitely choose to STAY. And trust me when you get here and you WILL, you won't want to leave either! See ya around.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 11-23-2008 at 06:45 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:57 PM   #12  
I will be positive

S/C/G: 224/183/135

Height: 5'4"

Thank you for sharing that Rodeogirl. I found it very moving, and it spoke mountains about 3FC. I loved it! Thanks again.
inspired by you is offline   Reply With Quote