Old 11-14-2008, 12:56 PM   #1  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Default One thing that has really helped you in your journey

I think it would help me if we could talk about some of our best discoveries in our weight loss journey. I was just thinking of some recent discoveries that have really been helpful and I thought it would be cool to get more ideas - grist for the mill.

One thing that has really helped me so far is eating out a lot less.

The more I learn about how many calories are in restaurant food the more I try to eat at home. As a bonus it's been good for the wallet!
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:57 PM   #2  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

One thing that has probably helped me the most was understanding that I don't have to be perfect all the time to be successful.
One bad meal does not mean I am a failure.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:04 PM   #3  
Living and Learning

S/C/G: 304/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 3"

The thing that has really helped me so far has got to be exercise. I have been averaging 30 minutes a day and it is really making a difference. Not only in my weight loss, my energy is shooting through the roof. It improves my mood and helps me cope with stress better (stress is my major trigger for binging).

I can't believe I am saying this because I never thought I would ever feel this way......I think I am starting to like it and look forward to it! Omg! Did I just say that??
gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:35 PM   #4  
Loves horses and bikes

S/C/G: 169/144/134

Height: 5'6"

For me, it has been the commitment to actually making a lifestyle change. No diets, nothing temporary, this is going to be the way I eat from now on. Also, doing research and increasing my knowledge, for example knowing serving sizes and calories.
Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:37 PM   #5  
FB

One thing I've learned is that this should be fun and indulgent, never a lesson in self denial or guilt. From healthy food, to personal training and exercise time - it's all been a joy. I had to show myself what a grand adventure this can be and learn not to feel guilty about spending time or money on my health.

I've never felt like I've missed out on anything because I have been determined to make this a honeymoon with me!
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Ladies, I have to echo what all of you have said already. When people ask me what I am doing to lose I don't know where to begin. It HAS been calorie intake and exercise but it is so many other things too--physically and mentally. It really is more than JUST calories and exercise. I would have to say calories and exercise was my jumping off point.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I also wanted to add to the list--GOING TO SLEEP AT NIGHT! I don't stay up watching TV or surfing anymore. These are my "danger hours" when I consume things I dont need and dont really even want.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:02 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

There are sooo many things that have helped me in my journey. So many. Once I made the decision to lose the weight, I needed to then set myself up for success. And there are lots and lots of things that have helped me along the way and will continue to do so.

If I had to pinpoint thee most important - well that would be

PLANING

I'm telling you, it is the only way that I could do this. Eating healthy does not happen by chance. It's got to, got to, GOT TO be thought out AHEAD of time.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:31 PM   #9  
Feelin' Sassafrassy

S/C/G: 317/271/165

Height: 6'0''

The thing that has helped me the most is my bible study girls and our fearless leader. They have praised with me when I have lost and held me together when I have gained. It means so much to me to have people in my corner rooting me on.
Bee20nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

The one thing that has helped me the most is the Farmer's Market.

Making a weekly trek to the Farmer's Market all season for tons of fresh fruits and vegetables has changed my life. I thought I hated vegetables. But I don't.. I love them. And when my fridge is packed with them, I feel like I HAVE to eat them so they don't go to waste. So I often choose a vegetable over something less healthy.

In the wintertime when the market is closed, I make the same weekly trek but to a certain grocery store that has a great selection of fresh vegetables. I just pretend THAT is the farmer's market, and buy a ton of stuff.

Last edited by Lyn2007; 11-14-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:57 PM   #11  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

for me, it was letting go of that all-or-nothing mentality. didn't realize how detrimental it was! a couple of weeks ago, i was pressed for time, and thought, i can't spend an hour at the gym, so i have to skip it. felt bad until it occured to me that i COULD spend 30 minutes. duh! this is also in the same vein as "i didn't realize that chai latte was 260 calories, so i guess my day is shot. might as well eat that fried chicken i've been thinking about." instead, it's just a few extra calories - so what? move on.

a totally different perspective has changed my behavior a LOT!
kuhljeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:00 PM   #12  
Bride-to-be!

S/C/G: 192/187/150

Height: 5'7"

It's been a lot of trial and error but I agree that exercise is a huge component. Not only for obvious, calorie-burning reasons... but because when I'm exercising I'm not thinking about food. I'm a stress eater for sure, and having a productive outlet for that has made all of the different. I am a binge eater and I've learned the only days I have a problem now are the days I don't exercise. Even more motivation to go more often!
Petunia418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:23 PM   #13  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Planning for me. Planning my meals the day before, checking my macro's, eating whole foods. Knowing I have an entire day where I DON'T HAVE TO MAKE A CHOICE. I just look at my list and eat that.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:26 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

There are so many little things that have helped. But the top ones are:

1 - WEIGHT LIFTING. I swear that lifting weights (and really lifting them, not playing around with 5lb "barbie" weights) changed my life.

2 - Measuring and weighing my food. Learning what a *real* portion size is instead of eyeballing what I thought a real portion size should be was a revelation. Now I'm much better at eyeballing things, because I've weighed and measured long enough that I know what I'm looking at.

3 - Not dieting. Giving up the idea that I had to "diet" and deprive myself of things in order to lose weight.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:44 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

One thing that's been crucial for me is fruits and veggies. It's not like I didn't eat them before, but these days I have at least 7 servings of fruits and veggies before dinner. They make up most of my snacks during the day, and they fill me up and I enjoy eating them.

I also want to echo what other folks have said about not dieting. When I first began this, I figured out all of the things that I hate about dieting and decided that I'm not going to do them. No feeling hungry all the time, no feeling deprived, no counting calories or points or carbs, no feeling like I'm bad or a cheater if I don't make the wisest choice. If I'm going to maintain this for the rest of my life, there can't be parts of it that make miserable, otherwise it's doomed.

Lisa
LisaF is offline   Reply With Quote