3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Having trouble staying off the scale (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/156183-having-trouble-staying-off-scale.html)

rodeogirl 11-12-2008 02:35 AM

Having trouble staying off the scale

Ok I need help! I need to publicly say that I will not get on the scale until my weigh-in on Monday. I know from past experience that getting on the scale 8 times a day just makes me neurotic.

So if I get on the scale before weigh-in I'm posting here and you guys better give me a hard time about it! :frypan:

Schumeany 11-12-2008 03:02 AM

I tend to bounce on and off the scale myself. It used to make me a little neurotic, but not anymore. Now I just view it as entertainment. I am completely fascinated by how much my weight changes through the course of a day.

However, if you are still in the "makes you neurotic" place. I would be more than happy to help act as a cyber frying pan upside your head if you get on the dang thing before Monday!

Stay off!!! The consequences will be severe!!!! :)

Billies Pottery 11-12-2008 03:05 AM

Once in the morning is plenty. Any more than that and you really are just torturing yourself.

cfmama 11-12-2008 03:22 AM

STAY OFF. I'll beat you up if you want ;) lol!

Mine is locked in my hubby's workshop and I will get it back on saturday but not a day before!

bargoo 11-12-2008 09:07 AM

Been there, done that. I had to lock mine in the trunk of my car.

KristasMom 11-12-2008 10:02 AM

If it makes you happy to jump on and off the scale, please do so!

I personally love to - and, over the past year, I've come to realize that any one reading is almost meaningless.

However, if I see a reading higher than the range I've been in, that means there is something going on, and I need to pay attention.

Sue

S.A.S.H 11-12-2008 10:12 AM

I can only weigh in once every couple days or once a week...I have found that hiding the scale is sometimes necessary too :eek:

Kae 11-12-2008 10:16 AM

If you are feeling obsessed then put it away... the last time I tried to lose weight I got down right nutty... weighing myself every few minutes, moving the scale to different places to see how things changed! Eeek!

Now, I am weighing each morning... I have on occasion been weighing once in the evening... but it isn't anything crazy. I either do it just because I am trying to get an idea for how my body weight fluctuates during the day --or-- because I really want to eat some junk food so I hop on the scale as a reminder of my goals.

foxxy511 11-12-2008 12:38 PM

I have that same problem! I managed to get down to just one time a day though, haha. I'd like to just weigh-in once a week, but I think I need the accountability of every day weighings.

rodeogirl 11-12-2008 07:43 PM

Thanks everyone for the comments and threats! :nono:

For me I think the healthiest thing mentally is to weigh in weekly. I have some "women troubles" and don't have a regular cycle so I don't really have a way of knowing if TOM is affecting my weight. TOM is a bit of a flighty fellow in my life - he just shows up whenever he damn well pleases. :devil: However, after 7 days I should have a true idea about whether I lost weight or not. I think that's a good measure of accountability for now.

If I decide later that a daily weigh-in would be helpful I'll switch it up. And just because I think a weekly weigh-in is best for me doesn't mean I think it's right for others. So if you like to weigh yourself more often and that works for you I'm all for it.

And I had a real fight this morning to not jump on the scale but I managed to avoid it. Close call though! :)

rodeogirl 11-13-2008 01:57 PM

Ummm let the beatings begin. :D

Extasee58865 11-13-2008 02:16 PM

I am on & off my scale at least 3 times a day. But, I don't let the number bothering me day to day because I know it sometimes flucuates. Although, I have to say, i usually tend to stay the same number all day long. I don't get flucuation like I've heard some people on here get. If it helps you & you can do it without driving yourself banana's, go for it! I find it helps keep me on track & forces me to be accountable for my actions.

S.A.S.H 11-13-2008 02:16 PM

Ok....because you asked for it :lol:

:nono::drill::club::rollpin::frypan::kickbutt:

Now..Here's sending you some GOOD stuff!! You can do it! Hide the darn thing if you need to!

:dust:

econ nerd 11-13-2008 02:26 PM

I check the scale every morning. Right now it keeps me accountable for what I ate (and if I exercised) the previous day. I also know that there will be minor fluctuations from daya to day and I try not to let that bother me too much. I have a few times checked the scale early in the evening to see if I could afford a snack and that works to keep me from snacking as much in the evenings now :D

rodeogirl 11-13-2008 02:27 PM

lol thanks Wannabe!!

I really believe for me it will be better initially to stick to once a week weighing so I am glad I could be honest here and say I didn't meet that part of my plan. Not beating myself up (letting you guys take care of that!) but just being honest here is super helpful. I really almost didn't post about it because I thought "oh they'll never know and think I was good" and I realized that that attitude, even about something as minor as my scale compulsion, would not be good for when the excitement wears off and I need some good old fashioned accountability.

So even though this might seem like a little issue it was sort of an integrity check for me - so thanks!

PhotoChick 11-13-2008 02:37 PM

Quote:

I tend to bounce on and off the scale myself. It used to make me a little neurotic, but not anymore. Now I just view it as entertainment. I am completely fascinated by how much my weight changes through the course of a day.
Me too! My scale is in the downstairs powder room and sometimes I get on it right after dinner just to see how much I ate. ;)

I know ... that's weird. But I have learned so much about the way my body works by weighing myself regularly and then by doing so at odd times of the day and seeing how the results fluctuate.

I know that I will gain and lose up to 6lb a day, depending on what I eat or drink.
I know that I will not show a weight loss just by going to the bathroom.
I know that I will gain more weight 2 days after eating a lot of salty stuff (or 2 days after having sushi, which I will drown in soy and wasabi)
I know that I will gain 3-5 lbs right before my period and then will "whoosh" it all off on the 4th day.
I know that my lowest weight of the day is within 30 mins after I get up.
I know that my jeans weigh 1.2 lbs. :)

For me it's interesting and fun ... but if it makes you insane, then by all means, lock up the scale and make it harder to weigh yourself more than 1x per week. It's not worth anguishing over, that's for sure! :)

>

Pandora123a 11-14-2008 07:42 AM

I'm like photochick...on and off the scale at least twice a day...and often more.

Right now I love getting on the scale whatever it says. Only my "official Monday morning weight" counts...but the rest of the time I try to focus on how happy I am to see that number. (Wow, remember when it was 40 pounds higher!) Do what works...

Lori Bell 11-14-2008 10:11 AM

I say take your scale to your neighbors house and ask to borrow it once a week. I'm an obsessive/compulsive person. Being compulsive got me to 333 pounds. Being compulsive has also brought on many other harmful addictions that I've had to break over the years. Weighing yourself 3 times a day won't hurt you...but what happens when you find you gained 3 pounds after eating? Your standing in the bathroom feeling terrible because there is 3 more pounds on that damn scale. What do you do? Smile and walk away? Cry and walk away? Puke and weigh yourself again? Of course not every "scale addict" become bulimic, but every bulimic is a scale addict. To me, in my humble oppenion, weighing (several times) daily is setting yourself up for more harmful addictions.