Old 10-27-2008, 11:47 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 305/172.6/135

Height: 5foot 4 inches

Thank you all so much for your wonderful replies!! I feel much better today. I ate good all day, and had a good work out at the gym. I drank tons of water today to flush out my system of all the salty stuff i ate yesterday. I love the concept of a "Treat", instead of a "cheat". I agree that cheat is more of a negative thing, where treat is a more positive thing. I am going to plan on having a Treat this week and not having a cheat day. I really need to stop the whole day thing and just do a treat meal. I think i will feel much better about the whole situation. I know that it is unrealistic for me not to ever treat myself. I wouldn't be able to do it for the long haul. so, a treat every once in a while to reward myself for all the hard work, sounds like a great idea
thank you again! I luv this place
and I luv you all
HVEECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:54 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I recently changed from doing a no count day to a no count meal. I found that I was taking advantage of the concept of an entire day to eat what I wanted and going a bit overboard. Having one meal makes it easier - it allows me to go out with friends or to cook something really decadent (full of cream and cheese) or to have a really yummy piece of dessert.

It also keeps me from doing something like having a burger and fries and then going across the street to get a Cold Stone ice cream! Since it's just one meal, once I leave the burger place, I'm done with my no-counting.

I hope it works for you. I've found that it's a GREAT tool for me to manage my cravings and not feel deprived!

Last edited by PhotoChick; 10-27-2008 at 11:56 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:31 AM   #18  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

WOW, it looks like you have already received tons and tons of good advice on this subject! I'll just throw in my $0.02... This is one of my favorite topics so I'm sure I'll talk way too much LOL.

I'm one who doesn't really believe in "cheat" days. I'm not exactly an all-or-nothing person, but when I decided that I really wanted to lose weight, I pretty much gave up all junk cold turkey. I know that any kind of indulgence is going to deter my progress, and I have seen the results of changing my eating habits, so I guess that's just enough to keep me from wanting it. Of course, that is not at ALL to say that I haven't had anything unhealthy since July 18th (ha! I wish!), BUT there have been some definite changes in how often I eat certain things, and the kind of things I'm willing to indulge in. For example, there are tons of things that haven't had since I've started my weight loss (soda, cake, fast food, pizza, etc)--things that generally taste good and that I like well enough, but I'm able to avoid them because I know they're not my "favorite" things. But like everyone else, there are few certain things that I could never, ever give up *for life*, such as french fries, or peanutbutter&chocolate things. The attitude that has really made a difference for me is that when I'm tempted to eat something junky on an impulse, I make myself reeeeally think about what I'm craving, and what will BEST satisfy that craving. For example if I want something sweet and there's a plate cookies nearby, instead of wanting the cookies I think, "If I were going to indulge right now, what would I REALLY want?" And then I realize that I don't really want these crappy, not-my-favorite-kind cookies; I really want a peanut butter cup. I guess it's just a matter of making all of my little treats really count, so I'm not just eating whatever's at hand... I know what my favorites are, so if they're not available I can't really justify the indulgence. And I don't usually keep my favorite things around (or they're really specific, so I can't keep them around anyways) so indulgences naturally just don't happen very frequently.

In the event that I decide that I do want something in particular, I'll plan for it and make myself wait for it, so I can really anticipate it and get the greatest amount of enjoyment from it possible. And make sure that I re-e-e-e-eally savor it when I actually do have it, LOL. For example, I've been hoarding a couple chocolate/peanut butter truffles (OMG MY FAVORITE) for almost ~2 weeks, waiting for the perfect opportunity to have them! And also, I have been craving Giordano's stuffed pizza for the. longest. time. (yep, I go to school in Chicago, hehe), but I've been holding off to make sure that it's something I really want (because every slice is like 600 calories, eeeek!!). If I still want it in a couple weeks or so, I'll probably have some. This is a HUGE change from last year when I'd order a small pizza (and a six-pack of Sprite!) for myself every other week... Wow, that's really embarrassing to admit! But yes, I think you just have to train yourself to want to make your treats really count--make sure that if you have a really, serious, doesn't-go-away-for-weeks craving, it gets fulfilled, or you'll go crazy! But if you have one of those "I-just-saw-a-bag-of-chips-so-now-I-need-chips" cravings, you have to resist. Hope that makes sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
What I have found - if I indulge in something I eat rarely, like say...cake with frosting. I immediately want MORE cake and frosting. I try to keep that in mind when presented with a wedge of birthday cake. It might taste good, but how will I feel after? Sometimes, those kinds of thoughts can help me. Sometimes, I just eat the cake!
I have absolutely experienced this, as well! The last time I had a really bad binge was on my 19th birthday, August 5th. I decided because it was my birthday that I could eat anything I wanted... (*palm slapping forehead*) I probably had 3000-4000 calories just in one day, ugh. But I definitely noticed that prior to that day, many of my cravings had begun to subside--it had been a while since I'd eaten anything really unhealthy, so I didn't think about it much anymore. BUT, I noticed that after that one day of unhealthy eating, I suddenly felt all the cravings return, 10x stronger than before! I think it's because the memory of it is still fresh in the days after you eat it, so you can imagine it better and that just makes you want it more... Just my opinion. Yet another reason to avoid junk, because most of the time it's not worth it to put yourself back at square one with weakening those cravings all over again! Lol.
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:03 AM   #19  

Quote:
For example, there are tons of things that haven't had since I've started my weight loss (soda, cake, fast food, pizza, etc)--things that generally taste good and that I like well enough, but I'm able to avoid them because I know they're not my "favorite" things. But like everyone else, there are few certain things that I could never, ever give up *for life*, such as french fries, or peanutbutter&chocolate things.
Oooh ... I think this is a really good point.

There are so many times that you hear/read people saying "I could never give up *all* my favorite things." And then they list of dozens of things that they eat out of habit instead of because they really LOVE them.

I chose to count calories because I don't like being told I can't have something. But truth is that there are many, many, many things I haven't eaten (and really haven't missed) since starting to eat more healthily. No one ever told me I *had* to give up Wendy's spicy chicken sandwiches, but I don't think I've had one in nearly 2 years now. No one told me I couldn't ever have another McDonald's bacon egg and cheese biscuit, but it's been over 18 months since I ordered one. No one ever said I could never eat pizza again - but it's been nearly 2 years since I ate Pizza Hut or Papa Johns or any store bought pizza.

But if you had asked me 2 years ago, I'd have told you I couldn't give up those things because they were "my favorites".

OTOH, I have a hamburger almost every week - either a homemade one or a splurge one from 5 Guys. I have pizza - just homemade pizza with wheat crust and piled high with veggies. I had cheesecake at the Cheesecake factory just a few weeks ago as part of an outing with some folks in my office.

So I think a lot of people have this knee-jerk reaction to giving up things and immediately everything they eat becomes "my favorite". And really once you get started, you begin to realize that everything *isn't* your favorite - there are things that you REALLY enjoy and won't ever give up and then there are things that you ate out of habit and thought you couldn't give up, but don't miss at all.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:02 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 305/172.6/135

Height: 5foot 4 inches

that is so true! i use to think i could never give up red meat, yet i dont miss it at all. I dont crave it. I think i could go the rest of my life without eating a steak or a hotdog, but I could never totally give up garlic bread, or mint chocolate chip ice cream I guess thats a good way to think of it. Just because i use to eat it, and I use to think it was one of my favs, doesn't mean it actually was my favorite food. I just have to hold out for the things that are most important to me and not waste time and calories on the other stuff
HVEECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:12 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

This thread helped me more than I can possibly express. I think I just figured out some really important *stuff* that was keeping me from making progress and all the things that you guys said on this thread made me remember how I lost this weight in the first place. And that my attitude over the last few months has TOTALLY been one of "I cant give it up forever" and "but it's my favorite and I went without it for 8 months and now I WANT IT".... it being about 100 different foods that I don't even really care about. I think I just turned a corner.

Thank you so, so, so much you guys, truly.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:15 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

I can only echo much of what has been said. "Treat" not "cheat" in particular. I am not counting calories, but using "mindful eating" and it is working for me. I planfully will have "special" meals based on what is happening in my life. (Not eating for depression or stress, but a weekend in New York, a special occasion etc.)

What I've seen change and have started to make more conscious, is some control even at those special meals. I love bread, and left alone at a wonderful restaurant I can easily keep letting them refill my bread plate again...and again....and again. Now I'm still having those special meals, but I am consciously deciding ahead of time that I will only have one piece of bread. Over time, and very slowly, I've started to slim down my special meals. I don't like the quantity as much any more.

Because of this I don't think I've ended up feeling deprived at all. I also find it helps me balance my eating during the day, and before and after the way that "normal weight" folks seem to.
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:40 PM   #23  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

This is a great thread - I found it after reading Lyn's blog - which rocks and you should all go read it!

I've been trying to figure out where I fit - so far I don't cheat but I don't treat really either. My only "rule" is to stay under my calorie allotment for the day. I am consciously trying to eat more whole foods but I think if I really wanted to blow the day's calories on two big macs and Blizzard from DQ I'd do it.

For me the thought that I'll "waste" all my calories in one shot sort of keeps me on the straight and narrow. So now if I want a Big Mac I'll go get one (I haven't yet come to think of it) but for such little bulk it puts such a huge dent in my calories that it no longer seems worth it.

If I did do a "cheat" day - it would not be pretty and I'm pretty sure I would not lose any weight or even mantain. This is because if I wanted to I could probably eat 4 Big Macs (I really love those things, lol) 4 orders of fries, an entire large pizza from Pizza Hut or Dominos, a couple orders of chicken wings dipped in blue cheese dressing, and chocolate cake for dessert in one day. I'm not kidding.

The cool thing is thinking of that a month ago might have actually sounded tempting but I just got a little nautious (sp?) thinking about it.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:43 PM   #24  

Quote:
If I did do a "cheat" day - it would not be pretty and I'm pretty sure I would not lose any weight or even mantain. This is because if I wanted to I could probably eat 4 Big Macs (I really love those things, lol) 4 orders of fries, an entire large pizza from Pizza Hut or Dominos, a couple orders of chicken wings dipped in blue cheese dressing, and chocolate cake for dessert in one day. I'm not kidding.

The cool thing is thinking of that a month ago might have actually sounded tempting but I just got a little nautious (sp?) thinking about it.
That last sentence is so key!

One day several months ago I had a REALLY really really really bad week and I woke up on Saturday and said f-it ... I'm gonna eat junk today because I feel bad and I want to.

First thing I did was go to Sonic and order what I used to order. And not only couldn't I eat all of it, I felt sick after eating less than 1/4 of it.

I'll bet you couldn't eat all those things again ... even if you wanted to and set out to. I'll bet that at this point your body would rebel and you'd wind up throwing it away. And by mid-day you'd be craving veggies and lots of water to flush out your system.

It's amazing how quickly our bodies begin to reject the old junky stuff.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:50 PM   #25  
career counselor a-gogo

I'm noticing that with sugar. I honestly never understood the phrase "Oh my that is too rich."

I would think, "too rich, wtf is that?"

The other day at school there was some candy in the lounge - everyone was talking about how good it was. It was really fancy - obviously from some specialty place.

I cut off a very small piece and "charged" myself 1/2 a normal candy bar in calories, it was actually probably less than that, it was about the size of one of the little hersey's chocolate rectangles.

Anyhow I almost couldn't eat the whole thing. It tasted wonderful (creamy chocolaty, hazelnutty goodness) but it was SO sweet and fatty. And for the first time in my life I said to a classmate "damn that's rich!" And I was honestly satisfied with my little taste. There was still a fairly large piece of it left when I went home that day and 2 months ago I would have polished it off for sure so it "didn't go to waste."
Old 11-16-2008, 08:00 PM   #26  

Quote:
I'm noticing that with sugar. I honestly never understood the phrase "Oh my that is too rich."

Hahah! I know ... I so know!

I went to the Cheesecake factory the other day with a group of people and decided ahead of time that I'd split a piece of cheesecake with someone. I even allowed in my daily limit the calories for that 1/2 piece. But I could only eat maybe 1/4 of it .. if that. And I remember thinking the same thing - I have never said "wow that's too rich for me" in my life!!!

Old 11-16-2008, 09:19 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeogirl View Post

Oh, I always wanted to say that, but was always too embarrassed that other people thought things were so very rich, and I just wanted more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeogirl View Post
Anyhow I almost couldn't eat the whole thing. It tasted wonderful (creamy chocolaty, hazelnutty goodness) but it was SO sweet and fatty. And for the first time in my life I said to a classmate "damn that's rich!"
My sister had pink For the Cure peanut M&Ms. So I took a small handful. I really enjoyed about the first 3 or 4. But the last few ... just tasted like a spoon of sugar. I was done. No struggling not to eat more. Wow, that was nice. Of course, several hours later I was willing to have a few more .
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:20 PM   #28  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Mine is with fatty things. Tonight we made really healthful personal pizza's on whole wheat english muffins. Tons of veggies, bit of cheese and I put two slices of REALLY good quality deli salami (genoa and dry pepper) on each of their pizza's and just one slice of genoa on each of my two. It was too fatty. Thinking about it actually makes me queasy. So I took it off.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:49 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Rodeogirl~

we are totally kindred spirits. I would have eaten all that stuff you listed too. Unfortunately it didn't make me nauseous reading it. But I can eat it in my dreams tonight if I want to (that's the only way I survive cravings some days!)

And I agree, I never have thought anything was too sweet or too rich. Ever. I hope I do someday.

Thanks for the compliment on my blog
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:06 AM   #30  
career counselor a-gogo

Lyn: your welcome thanks for writing such a well written honest blog.

This is the first time I've ever been turned off by thinking about large quantities of those favorite meaty, cheesy, greasy foods of yore. I've been trying to figure out what's different and I think it's partly due to a bit of an attitude shift, partly because I've learned to make foods I really love that have a reasonable amount of calories, and partly because I've cut out a lot of processed foods and am cooking more veggies and leaner meats like chicken breast.

I am pretty sure that if I spent all of daily calories on McD's two things would happen. First I would really struggle to stay under my calorie budget and second I would start really craving those foods more.