Old 10-16-2008, 04:30 AM   #1  

Default Have people noticed your weight loss?

Ok, so I am probably going to sound about 5 but nevermind! Have people noticed your weightloss. I think I've been doing well, and I know what I think matters most about the weight loss and positive lifestyle changes I've made, but I am jumping up and down abit because no one other than mu hubby and dietician seem to have noticed. My own G.P responded to my weightloss by telling me I have a loooonng way to go. Cheers Dr Feelgood!!!
Why is it that when you are overweight the world is jumping up and down to tell you how rubbish you are, but positive life changes don't even get a mutter??? Who made those rules!?
Anyway, I supose I'll just have to high 5 myself!! Any of you experienced the same thing?
TenaciousB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:33 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 182/143/135

Height: 5'9

I'm sorry Tenacious, your G.P should have congratulated you! What goes through peoples head when they say those things? No, I haven't had this experience, I either have no one notice, or someone does and says "oh that's good, you should lose weight". WTF? I literally had a guy say that to me in those exact words... needless to say I think he has issues that have nothing to do with me, but still, who says that?
HealthPNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:18 AM   #3  

Height: 5'9"

Nope, No one has really noticed it yet. And I'm down 40 lbs +. I am starting to notice it in my face though.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:24 AM   #4  
Woman on a mission

Height: 5'10"

I think sometimes the people we see on a daily basis dont notice it as much as people we don't see that much. I think its because they have a memory of how they last saw you and then it hits them that something is different.
MaNdA22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:34 AM   #5  
At it again

Sorry your doc was such an a**, TenaciousB!

I think sometimes people are reluctant to say anything because they're not sure commenting on someone's weight is appropriate, even good comments, and I'm fine with that. I'm still overweight, so I don't really want people referring to my size at all.

The only person to give a spontaneous comment has been my 19 yr old son, of all people. One day, he stopped in a middle of our conversation and said, "Hey ma, you're looking good. I'm really proud of you." I didn't mind the comment coming from him - in fact, it made my week!
rmc9142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:37 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I am sorry folks haven't said anything. Like rmc mentioned - sometimes folks don't want to - because they think that it might mean you 'needed' to lose weight. It's hard for some folks.

Yes...lots of people have mentioned my weight loss. But, they didn't notice it until I had lost about 40 pounds or so.

It feels wonderful when folks notice - However - there's stress now to not gain in back as I have done many times in the past.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 10-16-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:34 AM   #7  
One pound at a time...

It was funny you should post this. I think it was only after I lost 50 lbs that people started to make comments. I think they were hesitant at first because they knew something was different but were afraid to make a comment in case they were wrong. Now, I hear it all the time, but where the comments have really come from are from people who have not seen me in awile-for them it is a shock.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:46 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Yes, but it took at least 40 lbs before ppl started to say anything.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:59 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Someone just said something to me today, but she knows I'm working on it.
rachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I guess some people think if they aren't a big downer, you'll stop trying. Which is just stupid. Feeling good about yourself and and about what you can accomplish will get you there, feeling like a failure who has an insurmountable goal won't.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:01 PM   #11  

Height: 5'9"

The funny thing is, here we are complaining because no one is comenting on our weight loss and hard work. But from another thread, the girls who have lost a bunch of weight say that the comments get annoying after a while. They actually prefer people to not say a word about it. Who woulda thunk?

Last edited by luvja; 10-16-2008 at 01:02 PM.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:14 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

I didn't get a lot of compliments until I'd lost 50 pounds. I had a lot to lose so I think it was hard to notice for quite awhile. I've lost at a reasonable 1.5 to 2 pounds per week so it's gradual enough that people that see me often just didn't see it. At the beginning of summer I saw quite a few friends who I hadn't seen in six months or so and they were shocked. It does get a little embarrassing sometimes, when they don't believe I haven't had the surgery to do it. I love a nice encouraging "you look great" comment, but the mouth hanging open, shocked looks kinda make me feel like I just looked horrible before. I've had that happen in front of a group of people a few times and they all stop and look at me and I just want to sink into the floor. I just say thanks now and try to move the conversation onto something about the other person to deflect the attention now. So long story short... just hang in there, you'll get more compliments than you can handle soon. Make that dr eat his words!
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:24 PM   #13  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

I feel your Doctor Feelgood love the pseudonym was born with a foot in his mouth why they do not spend a little time in their training learning a little better bedside manner

on your weight loss you have the right to feel great at your achievement. I was not praised by others until I had lost 50lbs but that maybe due to the fact I have a chronic illness of MS so were fearful that maybe things were not going well with my health. Though since that time I have been praised frequently for my weight loss which boosts my moral. I in turn have started to take much better care of myself and pride in my appearance.
purpleorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:51 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvja View Post
The funny thing is, here we are complaining because no one is comenting on our weight loss and hard work. But from another thread, the girls who have lost a bunch of weight say that the comments get annoying after a while. They actually prefer people to not say a word about it. Who woulda thunk?
Sometimes it's hard to realize how much we expect people to read our minds. It feels so good to start to get past that and be so much more direct in relationships. You discover all sorts of things about what you thought they thought, but they didn't ... what you thought was obvious, but wasn't ... and so on.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:18 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

I have lost 24 pounds but gone from a 22 to 18, I"m losing tons of inches but not weight. I can't go a day without someone telling me how good I'm looking and asking me how I'm doing it. I think I'm a weird case though, I've lost 4 pounds in the last three months but not sure how many inches yet, I found out in a week.
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote