Old 09-17-2008, 09:34 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 256/242.1/175

Height: 5'3"

I watched it! I love that show. I also Tivo it. Besides the commercials, I don't like how at the end of a segment they preview the next segment. Then after the commercials, they picked up from the same spot before the commercials, so you're watching the same thing over again and then they continue on with what they had previewed. So basically you are spending 5 minutes watching the same thing over again.

I also wonder if Biggest Loser sets up unrealistic expectations. I always think I can lose 15 pounds in a week, because they do on TV. I know I'm not exercising 10 hours a day, but still, seeing those numbers make me think I should be able to do that also.

Maybe I'm just nuts.
avi0903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:20 AM   #17  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I'll be watching for sure! I do find it movitating ~ and now I watch it WITHOUT a bag of chips and some Coke! lol
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:27 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I was completely horrified by the lack of decent support bras for the ladies. The scene where Coleen (the yellow girl who looks like Reese Witherspoon) was doing jumping jacks was hugely painful to watch.

I understand that the contestants might not know what kind of support bras they'll need to work out, but you think the trainers or the producers would HELP. Maybe they figure bouncing boobs makes for good TV? I thought it looked TERRIBLE and painful and I felt so badly for her. Booo Biggest Loser!

Spend a little less time pushing the Body Bugg (booo product placement) and a little more time talking about proper workout equipment - including good shoes and good bras.

Also, again, I wish they talked more about food. Few overweight people can devote 10 hours a day to exercise, but everyone has the ability to make better food decisions.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:18 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 256/242.1/175

Height: 5'3"

I agree Glory!!! I also felt badly for her, looking all bouncy and jiggly. They should have given the girls better bras.
avi0903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:45 AM   #20  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

^I noticed that too! There was a definite excess of bouncing boobs on that show, hehe. And the Body Bugg thing was very annoying. I've never watched the show before (I decided to take it up this season, to go along with my own weight loss, hehe), so I dunno if it's been like that every season, but it was very annoying to me! And I was also very surprised that they didn't show anything about the foods the contestants are eating. Surely they put them on some kind of diet, and it seems strange only to show the fitness aspect of their weight loss. Maybe NBC figures the bouncing boobs and people collapsing makes for better TV.

I was so inspired by Coleen and Jerry, though. They're the only father/daughter team, and a lot of the things she was saying hit pretty close to home for me... My father is really overweight as well, and I worry about his health all the time--things she said about wanting him to make it to her wedding, etc, felt so personal. And my dad is older than Jerry! I'm not gonna lie, I teared up a few times during the show. I think they are my favorite team so far.

Who are everyone else's favorite teams?
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:14 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I do love the Biggest Loser, but you hit on the main things that bug me:

* Obtrusive product placement - it's laughingly eye-rollingly obvious
* Rarely talk about food, I think last season was the best at talking about food
* Really annoying commercials that repeat what happened before the break, after the break
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:20 PM   #22  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I watched last night for the first time ever and enjoyed it for the most part. I too wish they had focused a bit more on the nutritional aspect. Way too many commercials though; wish I had TIVO!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:38 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 270/252.0/150

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
Coleen (the yellow girl who looks like Reese Witherspoon)
I'm so glad you think that too! The more I watched her and listened to her and just stared at her...gosh, she reminds me so much of Reese. I'll bet the resemblence will be even better as she loses weight.
Kelleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:57 PM   #24  
93.6lbs to go!

S/C/G: 220/205.6/112

Height: 5'5"

I'm in the UK so can't see it. Are there any sites (which are available outside the US) that I could watch it on?
from220to112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:22 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

I can't believe some of these weight losses!!!! It takes me months to lose 17 lbs sometimes.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:08 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 228.6/226.3/125

Height: 5 feet

I usually don't watch the show, but last season I really got hooked on it. I loved last nights show. I am so proud of all of the teams because no one gave up. I think that is the biggest hurdle for some of us. It is so easy for us all to use the theory that we will start tomorrow, but just like the quote last night "Today is your tomorrow, so keep going." Also I thought that the team that got eliminated looked AWESOME!!! This show is proof that exercise along with eating healthy is the key to success!
Maggie Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:29 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

On again tonight. I repeat, this show is such an inspiration. I seriously teared up when Jillian was talking with the blond girl.....it reminded me of myself a little.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:45 AM   #28  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

Tonights episode was so good! I was glad that they actually did show them learning about cooking and eating right (though the blatant product placement for Jennie-O's was a little obnoxious LOL). I felt so bad for the girls who only lost a couple pounds... Of course we know that that's an average/good amount to lose in one week, but when you're up against women who lost 7 lbs in the same week, that's gotta be tough! And **SPOILERS** it was so sad to see Tom and L.T. go! They seemed like such a solid team, and genuinely nice guys. And I could not believe that Heba and Ed voted for them! I thought that was very low... Even if they thought Colleen and Jerry deserved to stay, they could at least show some appreciation for the fact that Tom and L.T. saved them the week before! I mean jeez. I wonder what made them change their minds. Between the two teams, though, I was really really glad that Colleen and Jerry got to stay. As I mentioned last week, those two really hit close to home for me since they're the only father-daughter team and Colleen has said a lot of things that remind me of my father (who is also very overweight). From the looks of the preview they showed, next week's episode should be a huuuge tearjerker for me! Heh.

Oh dear, I get addicted to reality TV way too easily... Hehe.
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:16 AM   #29  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Another fun episode!

#1 WOW i would NOT want to wear a sports bra for the challenges - ugh the mid-sections bulging out was not necessary LOL

#2 I do wish they'd spend more time on FOOD - ie. Chef Rocco's recipes were pretty good sounding, and i'm sure they're on the website, but some cooking ideas & tips would be helpful

#3 I'm convinced now that before their initial weigh-in they WATER LOAD like crazy to get those HUGE 15++ pound drops the first week, only explanation! The #s for this week are at least more realistic
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:18 AM   #30  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I'm glad the yellow team stuck around. I dunno, it just seemed more dire for them to be there and for the father to be heavily supervised. I really liked the gray team, though and am glad they were able to be so successful upon their return home! And the younger one's muscles! I can't believe how much he was able to not only lose, but tone up in a matter of a few months. Incredible!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote