Old 09-04-2008, 07:39 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/150

Height: 5' 11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintobean View Post
As for that woman asking her husband to move so she could see better (I can't say for her)...but speaking for myself I would definitely have difficulty seeing over someone taller than me if that person sits in front of me regardless of their size. Even in theaters I have to switch places if someone taller sits in front of me. I never thought I was insulting anyone cuz I wasn't and to be honest I would get pissed at myself half the time for being so short.
That lady was really very polite, and didn't insult me at all by moving... It just made me feel like a giant. Like one of the other chickies said, I just feel like I take up SO much space - or like another chicky said - I do feel like a football player - just one of those things that grieve me about being tall.

Yup, the grass is always greener on the other side. My previous boss use to say "the reason why the grass is greener on the other side is because there is so much more cr** there"... Mmm.. maybe he is on to something.
Findmyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:07 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozles View Post
Gush, so many of us tall ladies have the same issues!! I cannot date a shorter man. I tried, but I really do feel out of place when we walk around. I love the 'pet' saying!! EXCELLENT!!

Whenever somebody wants to set me up, my first question is ALWAYS - how tall is he??

My brother is also 6'4 and my dad is 6'3.

Realist - WOW, your husband is very tall - Fabulous!! - Does he have brothers??? jk.

A friend of mine went to Germany, and she says that almost all men there are giants (she is only 5'4)... Mmm.. maybe I should pay a visit one day...
That's so funny! It's the first question I ask too. I like the little pet and um yeah if you can use them as a coaster they are too short!
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:40 AM   #48  

Funny thing is -- when I was thin, I never thought of myself as tall but now that I've gained about 100 pounds, I hate it because I feel like I don't "blend in" because of my height and I can't hide my extra weight.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:53 PM   #49  
Starting is half the task

S/C/G: 330/ticker/160

Height: 5'10

lol This thread has been great! I'm 5'10ish, my husband is about the same, but ALL of my friends are little girls, and I always feel like godzilla around them. We joke about it. My dad was 6'7 and my mom was 5'4 and I ended up somewhere in the middle.

This is a picture from last year of us (i'm the blond) they all had shoes (like 2-3 inch heels) and I left mine off and I'm still taller! lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg l_8f008bb8ad08fc7cede5b73ea9e03fa1.jpg (65.2 KB, 51 views)
Cokia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:39 PM   #50  
Blue Blood

S/C/G: 293/274/150

Height: 5'10"

[QUOTE=pintobean;2346497]" Taller women will also lose weight faster cuz of more muscle [QUOTE]

Huh? Never heard of anything like that and I certainly haven't witnessed it! Can't see where the muscle /fat ratio is any different for tall vs. short. There is more of both on a taller person. My weight is comming off slooooowwww!

There are certainly advantages...I mean like I can gain 10 lbs and no one will notice! My short friends don't have that advantage...but on the flip side...I can loose 10 lbs. and no one notices! Took a 30 lb weight loss before anyone even noticed!
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #51  

Thumbs up Yay!

Oh, how I love this thread!

I was just reading a "deep" post by someone about the real motivations for weight loss, and I started thinking about height and weight. I am 5'11" and it has always been a thorn in my self-esteem. I am pretty, intelligent, and pleasant. I've NEVER been called "cute", but I can live with "pretty". I think as I grew up, my personality developed into a passive and easygoing person to compensate for the fact that my body easily made others uncomfortable.

In addition to being tall, I am very large boned. I wear a size 12W shoe, and my hands are always much larger than the hands of men who are my height. So even when I do lose all my weight, I will still be an "amazon" and will likely continue to make some petite men uncomfortable simply by the amount of space I take up. And I don't have those awesome amazon legs, either ... I have an hourglass, long torso instead.

I've heard "amazon", and people (mostly children) say "you have big feet/legs" or "you are really big". My favorite was in Mexico last month - a Hispanic man trying to get me to purchase clothing from his store said, "Hey, Big Lady, we have your size too!" I truly believe that he didn't mean it as an insult, because the culture in Mexico didn't seem to detest tall women like I feared it might.

I come from a shortish family who, unfortunately, equates "desirable" with "petite". Thus, I have always felt less desirable because of my height. THANK GOODNESS I found a different world since then.

I had a coworker who was taller than me, a few years older, and very at-peace with her height. She frequently told me humorous stories of her retorts to people who comment on her height. My favorite was when a man commented that her feet were bigger than his. Instead of shrinking in shame like I might've done, she said "well, we know what that says about YOU!" She had fun with it, and it didn't make her any less feminine! She gave me shoes of hers that she'd purchased but didn't want for one reason or another.

I also had a shift in thought recently. Instead of being mortified by my lovely, strong stature, perhaps I could embrace it. While I've always been more cerebral than athletic, I never have to struggle to do a lot of things others do (lifting boxes, opening jars, etc). I just think about how wonderful it would be if I could take my superhuman female stature and do superhuman things with it ... maybe become as athletic as I can possibly be, imagine that? I'd really rock at roller derby!

Tall people can lose and gain weight quickly, but it's just not as noticeable. Nine pounds on a 310-pound person is NOT that much, when you think of it in terms of the ratio of total weight. That said, nine pounds isn't even noticed on my body. An 80-pound loss is significant, but it likely looks far more dramatic on a shorter person.

I have a son who is a fabulous 6'7" and who loves dating tall women. I'm not entirely opposed to dating someone shorter than me, but on the few occasions that I have done so, the guy SAID he has no problems with it, until we get dressed up to go out for a night on the town and I wear heels.

Guess who else is a TALL woman? Michelle Obama! My first thought upon noticing her height was, "GOOD, now maybe shoe makers will start including sizes that The First Lady can wear!" She brought flats to the White House! Everybody says it's about her being "casual chic", but I suspect it's because she's like the rest of us and doesn't feel like having her ears pop.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:04 PM   #52  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I'm 5'8 and a smidgen, so when i wear heels i'm close to 6' and I have to say, if I had my d'ruthers, I'd STAY TALL - you can HIDE a lot being taller LOL I'd rather be tall and SLIMMER, sure, but the weight I am now, if I was 5' i'd be a weebil - i'd wobble but not fall down
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:25 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 320/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziep View Post
i know both the very tall and the very short have a difficult time finding clothing that fits - but sometimes I think that all the plus sized clothes out there ARE made for people who are 6 feet tall because there is always at least a foot of extra material at the bottom of my pants and some times the rise on a pair of pants is so large that for the crotch to be in the right spot the waist has to be up by my bra!!
OMG I HATE that. I make that comment all the time. Will the world realize that there are short fat girls? I never had the money to tailor pants, so I was stuck with looooonnnggggg pants (still am). Sometimes I find some good ones, but its VERY hard.

about the 'cute' thing with being short- I HATE that. Sometimes it makes me feel 6 years old when people call me 'cute' being so short. ITS SOOOO annoying!

And to the tall gals- atleast you have more room for the fat to go! All my fat just piles on in the same places.
Amber1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:02 PM   #54  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Shelby 897, I am only 5'8" and I wear a size 13 shoe. How's that for fair??? Whenever I'm in the one store around here that carries women's 13s, the other ladies who shop in that section are all well over 6 feet. I might come up to their chin. I can never, ever, EVER find shoes to fit. I have to special order almost all of them. And that's so expensive.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:20 PM   #55  

Height: 5'11"

I'd love to know where you are all shopping that the sizes in the Women's department would fit me for length! I'm 5'11" and need a 33 or 34 inch inseam, and that's basically unheard of in the women's department at least around here. Admittedly, I live in the middle of nowhere so there isn't a lot to choose from (and nothing high-end at all). I'm stuck in the middle of the misses' sizes being too tight, but the Women's sizes having gobs of extra fabric in the crotch area and the inseam way too short!

Honestly--I didn't mind being tall so much when I was thin, but I hate it now. And for all you ladies who think you'd want to be my height, imagine if nearly every man you met was 3 to 4 inches shorter than you. It basically disqualifies me from dating, ever, if I want someone who is as tall or taller than me.

How many of you were the tallest girl in high school? I was; I think there was maybe one girl who was as tall. I don't remember hardly any boys being over 6 feet tall. How things have changed in just one generation! One of my sons is 6'4 1/2" and many of his friends several inches over 6 ft tall. I feel almost normal when they're all standing around in my living room!

Oh, and for girls (like me!) who wear over size 10 in shoes--check out Zappos online. It's been a godsend for me.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:38 PM   #56  

Can you look online for a clothing company that could meet your unique needs in terms of inseam? Otherwise, I'd consider buying the plus sizes and going to a tailor. I have no idea if a tailor is costly or not, but my friends who use them swear by them.

My tall friend who has long legs seems to find a brand/size that works, and buys that particular style in multiples.

And YES, our dating pool is smaller. Period. I once dated a 6'4" guy who weighed 300+ pounds, and he could lift me. What a rare joy that was!
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:51 PM   #57  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
Can you look online for a clothing company that could meet your unique needs in terms of inseam? Otherwise, I'd consider buying the plus sizes and going to a tailor. I have no idea if a tailor is costly or not, but my friends who use them swear by them.

My tall friend who has long legs seems to find a brand/size that works, and buys that particular style in multiples.

And YES, our dating pool is smaller. Period. I once dated a 6'4" guy who weighed 300+ pounds, and he could lift me. What a rare joy that was!
I don't know if you were specifically replying to me, but it's difficult to lenghthen most pants as they don't really leave enough fabric at the hem for that. Like your friend, I just try to find things that work and then get a couple of them. I bought a pair of pants last fall that were 16W and they were too tight (what was I thinking!??) but they fit now (yay!). Anyway, they seem to be considerably longer than the gray ones I bought--same style--that were a size bigger. Grrrrr!

As far as tall guys--yes. I used to see a guy who was around 6'3" and was it ever nice to have him pick me up and tease me! I also dated a guy who was 5'9" and we were so comfortable with each other that the height difference didn't matter. My ex was 5'10" and it didn't matter so much with him, either. But a lot of guys are not comfortable dating someone taller, and I'm not always comfortable feeling like I'm towering over a guy. As far as heels--forget it. I would love to wear them but there is no way, as I already feel that I'm the hulking presence in the room in my flats!
Old 03-16-2009, 12:18 AM   #58  
fabulous southern belle

S/C/G: 268/215/165

Height: 5'10"

OK, I love this thread so much I want to marry it and have its big tall babies!!!

Just to catch up with everyone who has already replied- I'm 5'10", large bone structure, 10.5 narrow shoe (which nobody actually makes, of course... but I love my skinny ankles and feet! gotta start somewhere! haha!). Definitely discriminate against guys under 6'. Yes, I know its totally superficial, but a girl's got enough to be self conscious about! love looking up to someone for a change, you know?

Macy's has a great women's dept.- lots of tall sizes!!! My biggest problem? Shirts and jackets. Length is always too short, especially sleeves! Kills me. I carry most of my weight in the front- boobs/stomach... and hips... thighs... ok, well, maybe it is all over! I still rock heels, but try not to go higher than 3".

I definitely was one of the tallest girls in HS. I am so mad at myself though- I weighed 168 in high school. 168! Totally normal, healthy weight for a 5'10", large framed, Amazon princess... yet I thought I was massively huge bc I was so tall and stacked! Oh, if I knew then what I know now...
miss scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:37 AM   #59  

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss scarlett View Post
I definitely was one of the tallest girls in HS. I am so mad at myself though- I weighed 168 in high school. 168! Totally normal, healthy weight for a 5'10", large framed, Amazon princess... yet I thought I was massively huge bc I was so tall and stacked! Oh, if I knew then what I know now...
My local Macy's has a tiny Women's department, but I did find my favorite pants at a Macy's in a larger town.

I weighed 155 in high school. One Fifty Freaking Five. And I thought I was soooooo fat because all the other girls weighed 120-something. Hellloooo, I am about 6" taller than all the others! I remember after high school weighing 165 and going on a diet with my friend so we could lose five pounds and get out of the 160's. Sheesh. Oh well; I guess that just shows that sadly, I haven't ever really been satisfied with my body even when it was at it's best!
Old 03-16-2009, 09:59 AM   #60  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

My mom is 6ft tall and even though she was over weight, she always had the most awesome legs, but bless her heart, she carried all her weight in her belly and butt. My mom suffered a massive stroke last May and while she was in her comma, the nutrition lady came in, asked me if I could answer a question about some info in her chart. I said sure, she asked "how tall is she?" i said she is 6ft, the woman looked at me funny. She said, "well i saw that in her chart and thought it couldn't be right" I moved so the lady could get a better view of my mom, ans said "look at her, she takes up the full length of the bed" We all good a pretty good chuckle out of it. As a teen she hated being tall because everyone refered to her as 'big' of course they ment tall but she always thought she was fat but she was 6ft and 120lbs at 16, there was no fat any where.
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote