Old 09-04-2008, 01:10 PM   #16  
mj5

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

Lyn--Sounds like you are doing great!

My knee is really bothering me today...9/12 can't get here fast enough! I know I waited too long to make an ortho appt, that's the first thing he is going to tell me, but at least I know I will have some relief after my appt!

I am off to get my ice pack from the freezer!
mj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Hello ladies,
I did not put down my plan today, and I have wanted to MUNCH. So far okay, the only thing I should not have eaten is a few Wheat Thins. Yesterday was on plan. :
Here's what I ate so far today:
B: pumpkin oatmeal breakfast bar, coffee with milk
B2: hungry an hour later so I had two BLT lettuce wraps
L: lima beans, sliced tomato, small piece dark chocolate
L2: hungry an hour later so I had a small piece of meatloaf and tomato juice
S: skim latte, 7 triscuits with Laughing Cow Lite, 3 Wheat Thins

Dinner will be shrimp cocktail, lettuce and tomato salad with Goddess dressing,
Dessert: Yogurt sundae with fruit and nuts
My friend brought me a box of Concord grapes and I made low sugar jam with them this morning, so I may put a little of that over my yogurt tonight, yum!

Yes, TOM is approaching

BeverlyJoy, if only my danger foods would stay the same! Seems like things I once thought were safe can suddenly start calling to me! This week I have had issues with too many crackers, which don't usually bother me.

mj, it's wonderful that DH wants to get on board with you. It's so nice to have someone along for the ride.

Lyn, good job getting back on track and dropping those regained pounds!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:49 PM   #18  

S/C/G: SW 275/see ticker/ GW 175

Height: 5'6

Hi Ladies!

I hear the song "you are not alone, I am here with you!" I don't know who it's by, but when I read your posts, I know I am not the only one struggling. Truthfully I almost wish I was the only one, then at least you all would not be battling mind demons as I do constantly. I feel sad to know that so many of us are affected by this kind of thinking.

Okay, so I have a plan, this weekend it's not happening, we are off camping again, and this is the last camping trip of the year. I plan on exercising with my kids, walking, and trying to keep portions at not-near binge eating levels.

This week the kids had gradual entry preschool (they only went tues sept 2 for 1 1/2 hours), so next tues, thur, fri, they are GONE for 2 1/2 hours. I have a gym in mind, I've cleared the okay to pay for one month only, and DH has offered Mon and Wed nights as okay to hit the gym so that I don't have to go late at night after the kids go to bed (usually by then I am exhausted). So that leaves me with 2 full hours a day (m-f) to work out, with no excuses except the ones I know my brain will create. I just have to battle those and hit the gym.

I am planning on a bit of Body for life, Biggest Loser and full on attitude I CAN DO THIS willpower and perseverance for my workouts and eating. I've signed up for the biggest loser here on 3fc too and like Ali, I am going to visualize winning it this time. Those are my goals. Yikes!

Ginger
kissingginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:50 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi chicks! I stayed on my plan yesterday - I am grateful. I actualy changed my plan to include some of the things I got at Trader Joes. The Greek Yogurt is really good!

My headcold is much improved today!

We have family coming from Pennsylvania and Georgia this weekend - about 12 cousins (ages range from 10 -75) who are going to the Ohio State football game on Saturday. My one cousin, mom's age, will stay with us. Mom is very close to this cousin and she is excited to see him this weekend. I enjoy his company too.

Today-
grocery store
stretches
water
meditation
journal food
office work
tidy up

breakfast - cottage cheese, peach, pnb toast
lunch - 4 veggie and mock crab sushi rolls, greek yogurt, tomatoes
snack - cheese toast, applesauce
dinner - grilled chicken, corn, salad and lite vinegarette
snack - cereal, fruit, milk

Ginger - sounds like you have a good plan. I am so glad you can try and work in time at the gym. That's wonderful!! Have fun camping. Wow- the little ones off to preschool. I was a preschool teacher for many years - it's such an exciting time!!

Schmoodle - you are so right...the foods 'calling to us' do often change. I guess our relationship with food is ever evolving. Hmm...homemade jam on your yogurt sounds so good. Good plan!!

MJ - I hope your knee is a bit better - glad you'll get to the doctor soon. It's wonderful that DH is on board with wanting to lose some weight. It sure makes things a bit easier when that happens. Good job on all your bargains.

Lyn - that's wonderful that you have dropped three pounds. You'll be back to your low weight very soon.

Hi Rhonda! - hope you are having a good day.

Have a GREAT day!

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 09-05-2008 at 04:58 AM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:35 AM   #20  

Hello chicks,
Without further ado, Today:
Early B: pumpkin oatmeal bar, coffee with milk
S: small piece meatloaf, sliced tomato
L: tuna-stuffed tomato, crackers
S: latte, bean brownie, half a banana
D: skillet eggplant lasagna, green salad
S: frozen blueberry/yogurt sundae

Ginger, sounds like a good, solid, plan for getting back on track! I am having a hard time getting into the back-to-school routine here, I sympathize.
BeverlyJoy, glad you are feeling better. What a fun family-reunion weekend to look forward to! All I've got on my plate this weekend is cleaning and work, bleh. I'm envious!
Hope you had another great OP day, Lyn!
Have a great day at work mj. Take care of that knee!

Time to go walk DD to school, then time to get to work. Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Last edited by Schmoodle; 09-05-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:17 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

mj... I hear you on the knees for sure. I hope the ortho helps you... do you get cortisone shots?

Schmoodle... you eat so nicely. For health I mean Does your family eat that way too? My boys were raised on whatever I could find cheap or at the food bank (I was divorced/in poverty back when they were little) and they still always want hot dogs, ramen, boxed mac n cheese, that kind of junk. Such a struggle to get the to eat right sometimes.

Ginger... you hang in there girl. You can do this. It's tough but worth it and your kids will thank you someday for being a healthy Mom!

Beverlyjoy... so glad you are feeling on track. It always feels better after we get a few clean days under our belts. I wish I had a Trader Joes here. I hear they have some great healthy choices.

I had a great meal out at pfchangs yesterday, stuck to my fish/veg plan, and I maintained overnight which is a good sign! Not gaining when eating out is a big deal to me. Today is going to be another on-plan day with biking, strength training and walking. And house cleaning...
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:54 PM   #22  

thanks Lyn. I follow South Beach plan which has an emphasis on whole foods as you probably know. I have gotten more and more interested in that side of things and to the point now where processed foods just don't really taste that good to me anymore. I really like knowing exactly what's in my food. DH was on board with me from day 1. He was raised in the South of France, and his mom is an excellent cook, very healthy, lots of veggies, etc., and he is so happy to eat that way. It kind of makes me feel guilty about the crap I was feeding him before! He is diabetic also so this WOE has done wonders for stabilizing his blood sugar levels.

It's been a little more challenging with my kids who were raised on a lot of nuggets, fish sticks, and mac and cheese. They are 10, 11, and 21 now (but the 21YO is beyond my influence). But I refuse to cook more than one meal for dinner, so they have to try what I make and if they don't like it that's their problem. I will sometimes make a starchy side dish for them, rice or potatoes, that DH and I won't eat. They have actually surprised me in that they willingly eat ww breads, ww pasta, turkey bacon, meatloaf or meatballs made with ground turkey, and they think a hardboiled egg or an apple are a great snack. We are working on the veggies, but their repertoire is slowly increasing. And lots of the changes they don't even see - I buy NSA spaghetti sauces and salsa, and they don't know the difference. Some of things didn't work so well - they still haven't forgiven me for the bean brownie fiasco, and will forever regard any brownies made by me with great suspicion. DD begged me for a chef salad in her lunchbox this morning, so I made her a little baby one and she was so excited about it, it's cute.

Sometimes they will make themselves a bowl of cereal or a peanut butter sandwich instead of eating what I prepare. That's fine because the cereal available is cheerios and the bread is ww, and the peanut butter is NSA, so they are still better off than before. That's not to say they are totally reformed and never eat the bad stuff anymore. For a while I felt like I shouldn't punish them for my problem, and I still bought and kept their favorite stuff around. It took about a year before I got over it and decided that was too tempting for me and not doing them any favors either. I realized that they are offered treats constantly when they are outside the house - at Grandma's, at a friend's, even at school, and there is a little market a block away that they can walk to if they want an ice cream or something. So it becomes more of an occasional treat instead of something that is available all the time.

As for the skillet eggplant lasagna I'm making tonight, no, they won't touch it. We go to my mom's house for pizza on Friday nights and I'm making it for myself and anyone else that wants to share, but there will also be pizza, and I guarantee that's what they'll eat!

P.S. Sounds like you did great eating out yesterday! I think eating out makes it very difficult to stay on plan. I've really gotten so I dread it and rarely do it anymore. Good job!

Sorry for the book, I've really been thinking about this a lot lately!

Last edited by Schmoodle; 09-05-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:33 PM   #23  

S/C/G: SW 275/see ticker/ GW 175

Height: 5'6

Hey ladies -

Lyn and Schmoodle...I hear your issues. Luckily my kids don't remember the KD I gave them as little kids 1yr - 2 .5 years...when I changed over to organic it's now annies noodles and they don't remember we used to have KD. They now occasionally get some "yellow noodles" from my girlfriends house (I like to eat organic for my family, but I'm not willing to force others to do the same or make them make something else for my kids). They sometimes ask me to buy yellow noodles and I just say that it's not good for you, so I don't like to buy it. It's not "grow food". My kids get their share of junk food, but it's very limited. Luckily my in-laws are not junk foodies like my mom is, and so now that my mom has moved away, there is no constant source of junk food. I miss my mom, but not what she fed my kids. I like to bake, so I'm always sneaking in wheat germ and apple sauce instead of oil or butter. Flax seeds too, and lately Salba. So far they haven't noticed. They even helped me make zucchini brownies, and even though they don't like zucchini, they still ate the brownies --even though they mixed it in.

Beverlyjoy - I bet preschool years were so much fun to teach. They went last year but only on fridays for 2 hours. It wasn't nearly enough! LOL.

Today is a get ready and pack for camping day. I'm not being great, but not over the top bad either.

Ginger
kissingginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:08 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

You two are doing great with your kids. I was having issues because I would buy only healthy stuff and then DH would bring in bags of chips, cookies, etc "for the kids" even though I asked him not to. Now that he is gone I can clear out the junk again and start over. It is HARD when they are teens though. They want their junk. But like you say, there is a 7-11 2 blocks away if they want their junk. They can eat apples and watermelon and even trail mix here.

I just came down sick, very suddenly with a bad head cold. I woke up with a tickle in my throat but by noon it was a sore throat, headache, overall yucky feeling. I feel horrid and just want to SLEEP. Wish I could lie down for a bit. I will definitely go to bed ealry tonight.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:21 PM   #25  
mj5

Hi everyone! I'll get caught up w/ each of you tomorrow...it was another long day. I had a lot of personnel issues to deal w/...one of my least favorite things! They went as well as could be expected, just not my favorite part of being a manager! I wish I could have wrapped it all up today, but will finish Monday--that one won't go as well, but it's ok, I have a plan!

Have a great night!

We are going to some garage sales in the am, so I may not be around until later.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:41 AM   #26  

Hi chicks! Dispite a couple of twists and turns I stayed in my calorie range yesterday. I am grateful.

Last night it was DH, mom, cousin and myself. My mom and her cousin talked for hours about when they were little and growing up. I heard so many family stories. These are treasures - I will write these down before I forget them.

We have lots of family gatherings today. Breakfast will be at First Watch. Dinner is at Boca de Bepo. It's a fun Italian Restaurant where food is served family style. There will be 24 of us in total. It's my one cousin's 75th birthday and his son's 50th birthday. A big celebration. I won't have any control over what is served. I will try to make the most sensible choices possible.

breakfast - First Watch (I'll eat the Lean Machine - about 300 calories)

lunch - open face turkey sandwich, salad, fruit
snack - fruit
dinner isn't until 7:30 pm - so I'll have a big lettuce and vinaigrette salad before I go at about 6:00 so I don't get there really hungry.
snack - peach

MJ - sorry about the stress at work. Hoping some garage sailing will be fun!!!

Lyn - ugh...I had a headcold this week too. You take care of yourself. Drink lots of water. Good job on staying OP at PF Changs.

Ginger - hope you're having fun camping!

Schmoodle - I love your approach to family dinners now. You can't be a short order cook and try to find your own sanity with food. Your kids will be the better for it in the long run. Like you said - they can get their treats on their own.

Have a great OP day.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 09-06-2008 at 06:42 AM.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:59 PM   #27  
mj5

Hi everyone! Unfortunately, it rained today so not too many sales, but we did go to a few. I found a real Navy pea coat. I am thrilled! My dad was in the Navy and I have always wanted a 'real' pea coat. I also found a pair of new pants for $1!

Ginger--The nice thing is, we can all support each other! I think you have a great plan. I am doing the biggest loser challange on here too. I did it last time and it was a lot of fun. Yes, you CAN do this!

Beverlyjoy--So glad you are feeling better. Hope you have fun w/ your company. I love hearing family stories, so much fun!!!

Lyn--It's similar to cortisone. He'll tell me again when I go next week. Great job at pfchangs! I hope you feel better soon!

Schmoodle and Ginger--I agree, I think you are doing a great job w/ getting your kids to eat healthy.

Rhonda--How are you???

Ok, I need to go light the grill and make dinner. I am really hungry!
Old 09-07-2008, 07:16 AM   #28  

Hi Chicks! Wow...I made it thru my food filled family day and I did very, very well with my choices. I was around 1500 calories at the most - I am so, so grateful.

My mom is so funny - she knows I don't keep cookies in the house -so she brought over a box of Oreos for our cousin staying with us (and DH, too). She figured there just had to be something sweet for him. Also, my cousin went to the store and brought in a gallon of Graeter's raspberry chocolate ice cream...my favorite. Despite all this - I stayed out of the cookies and measured out 1/4 cup of the ice cream (a whopping 190 calories!) so I wouldn't feel deprived. So, the Oreos go back to mom's today and ice cream in the back of the freezer. I think we'll have some neighbors over to finish it off - so it's gone!

I did well at First Watch and ate the Tri-Athelite breakfast- 300 calories and very healthy.

Now - our family style Italian dinner worked out fine. I had some chicken marsala, a bite of garlic bread, a tiny portion of spaghetti, some salad and a bite of birthday cake.

It was wonderful to see family (and their children) - some of which I hadn't seen in 30 years!

I must concentrate today in having a good healthy food day because often when I stay on my plan for something big - the next day is a 'let down' day where I get into the food. I am feeling optimistic though.

breakfast - cottage cheese, peach, pnb toast
lunch - openface turkey sandwich, green beans
snack - cheese toast - applesauce
dinner - ?
snack - oatmeal, .5 banana, milk

mj - what fun, a new pea coat...enjoy!
Have a GREAT day folks.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:17 AM   #29  
mj5

Hi everyone!

Ginger--How was camping? I forgot to say, I think you are very brave taking three little ones camping!!! I'm sure it's fun, but I am tired just thinking about how much work it must be just to get things ready!!!!

Yesterday I finished going through my side of the closet and sweaters. I am SO excited that many of the sweaters my mom gave me last year that didn't fit, will fit this year. (She retired and has gorgeous clothes...I certainly benefited from her cleaning out her closet!!!)

Not much planned for today. Dh is going to roast a chicken. He has the 'magic touch'. He loves to mix up different spices and 'rub the bird'...it always comes out soooo yummy.

Earlier, the dogs and I came dangerously close to having a not-so fun encounter w/ a skunk in our yard. Luckily I saw it before the dogs did!!!! I cannot believe I was able to get them back into the house and keep them quiet! Of course, once it was gone getting their little beagle noses away from where the skunk was, was NOT easy....but the good news is it didn't spray while it was out there!!!!

I think we are just going to take it easy today--my knee is a little sore and I have a bit of a sinus headache, so I am feeling like a 'lazy pj day'. I need to drink lots of water because I am feeling a bit puffy today--probably why my knee is sore.

Oh...I decided--my next reward is a purse--I already have it--it's a black purse I bought on super bargain at Kohl's. I REALLY want to switch over to it, so that's my next incentive!

Have a great OP day!!!!
Old 09-07-2008, 07:20 AM   #30  
mj5

Beverlyjoy--We must have been posting at the same time. Fantastic job yesterday!!!! I am not so sure I would have had the strength to do so well at the dinner!!! Italian food is one of my downfalls. You CAN do it today! Spending time w/ family is so important and so much fun.