3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   So I have to admit my faults--- time to change my weight loss goal for new years... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/149615-so-i-have-admit-my-faults-time-change-my-weight-loss-goal-new-years.html)

BrandNewJen 08-20-2008 11:27 AM

So I have to admit my faults--- time to change my weight loss goal for new years...

So... I haven't been able to get back on track... after losing almost 50 pounds, I hit some bad times where my husband was in the hospital and then I was nursing him back to health and eating HORRIBLY... and I've tried to re-start several times but keep veering off track.

I vowed yesterday that I WILL get back on track!!!!!!

However... I keep getting overwhelmed by my original goal to get to 215 by Near Years... I know that's not going to happen now...

So I'm upping the goal to be 230lbs by New Years... that's attainable if I lose 2 pounds a week starting NOW.

So something to WORK for, but not something so large where I just feel overwhelmed all the time.

It SUCKS... but it's better than dropping a goal altogether, right? :sigh:

Schmoodle 08-20-2008 11:42 AM

Jen, you mention getting overwhelmed by your weight loss goal. The thing is, your goal is do-able, but I find that maintaining a 2lb/wk loss every week is very difficult. You don't know if you will hit a plateau in there somewhere. Will it frustrate you or will you feel like you have failed if you don't make the New Year's goal? What if you have lost a significant amount of weight but just not quite what you'd hoped for? If it might turn out to be a negative thing in the end, I'm not sure that it is better than dropping the weight goal altogether.
Since you are feeling overwhelmed, what about setting some smaller, behavior-related goals instead? To start with, maybe shoot for just one perfectly on-plan day. Once you have that under your belt, then try for a full week on-plan. See how many on-plan days you can string together, and plan a reward for when you reach 10. Maybe an exercise goal, xx minutes per week, or xx minutes in a month. If you meet these goals, of which you are in total control, the weight loss will follow. You will still be working towards your end goal, but without so much pressure.

quiddkidd06 08-20-2008 11:49 AM

Especially since you've got Thanksgiving and Christmas in there, too!

foxxy511 08-20-2008 12:46 PM

I know how you're feeling Jen!

I had set a goal to be at 240lbs for a family reunion that was last weekend. But, I hit a plateau and I (obviously) didn't make my goal and therefore had to move back all my other goals that were based off of making that one! I think it's very commendable that you're getting back on track and readjusting your goals instead of doing an unhealthy diet to make that pre-set goal.

I agree with Schmoodle and quiddkidd though....beware of plateaus and holidays! Starting off with small goals might not be a bad idea and I think I'll even take that advice myself.

You can do it though! I think that committing and getting back on track is half the battle! Good luck!

Kae 08-20-2008 01:00 PM

Way to go on the weight-loss! That's awesome. You will get there in time--- you sound like a smart girl. It is definately better to make reachable adjustments than to throw in the towel. Good work!

BrandNewJen 08-20-2008 01:49 PM

Thanks everyone---- I guess for me 2 pounds a week is DEFINATELY do-able... I was losing more than that and having slip up days in the first 6 months of my journey... so I know that 2 pounds is certainly possible, even with holiday or two thrown in...

But, will I be devastated? No... I'd be exceptionally proud if I DO it... but I'm not gonna quit if I don't. Cutting 15 pounds off my goal was a big step... because I realize it wasn't attainable.

I COULD make it to 230 by new years... and it's a nice goal that will keep me working hard and make me proud... but if I don't... then I realize that's a possibility and I keep going forward. But 215 was overwhelming, 230 seems more do-able. and it is. Especially if I lose the customary 5 pounds that I usually do the first week of truly re-sticking with the plan.

Lunula 08-20-2008 03:35 PM

Congrats for getting back on plan! You really should feel good about doing it NOW rather than after you gained back ALL that weight you've lost already. That's one thing I think people who are trying to lose weight have to do (and something I'm slowly learning) - you have to keep trying, even when you "mess up". I used to give up if I had a bad week, even a bad day, but I see now that those moments just slow my weight loss, they don't destroy it.

You've made A LOT of progress so far and I'm sure you can keep it going! :carrot:

SilentBlue 08-20-2008 03:35 PM

I think if you can not do your last goal it is okay to go for another. Hope all is well. You can do it.

Mommysince21505 08-20-2008 05:09 PM

I wish you all the luck! I too am going to try to lose about 30-40lbs by New Years or my birthday which is January 16th. If I don't lose 30-40lbs by then I am okay with it too. So if you are like me (which sounds like you are) you will continue to be determined to lose weight even if the goal isn't met.