Old 08-10-2008, 06:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Default Strategies for when you feel that binge/overeating comeing on...

We all have been there...many,many times. Whether we've been on plan all day or have been tripped up by unforeseen circumstances - the urge to binge and overeat comes over us. What do you do to stop the binge or overeating? (For me, of course, I have to be willing to do the things to stop the eating.)

Maybe we can find a new way to get thru it by sharing what works for each of us.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:44 AM   #2  

Height: 5ft 2in

I think of my lovely daughters and how much I want them to see that weight is something that can be controlled. I am so afraid that they may become obese like me. It would break my heart. I want to show them a good example after being a bad axmple to them for all of their lives.
pufffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:43 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

For me, the best way to avoid this is to just not take that first bite. Once I've started, it's just too easy to justify a little bit more. And more...

Social situations can be tough, so I try to eat before I go. I used to not see any sense in eating before and then eating more at the event, but it's true, if you are not really hungry, and don't have as much room in your stomach, even if you eat some off-plan things, you won't be able to do as much damage.

Carry snacks. It's key to never let myself get to that "starving and willing to eat anything and everything in sight" place.

The week before TOM is also tough for me. I allow myself to eat a little more this week, as long as it is food that's allowed on my plan. I split my food up into six little meals during this time so I can feel like I'm snacking all day. I eat lots of protein this week, and I plan for some chocolatey on-plan treats (bean brownies, NSA fudgesicles or pudding)

I am still learning how to prevent this, but I feel like I am finally making some progress.

But yesterday I had something unplanned and I ate it just to please somebody else, even though I didn't really want it. So that's an area that still needs work - peer pressure!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:20 AM   #4  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

For me I ask myself 'Do I really want this?' alot of the time I know I don't want it but eat anyway, so I will also say to my mum or whoever is around and supportive 'I'm not going to eat this - but I really want to' and they can also encourage me.

If I find I REALLY want something, I'll have a low calorie (30 cals) hot drink or a yoghurt...and then I'm usually fine
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:32 AM   #5  
No description available.

I come on here and read goal stories. I exercise. I eat something on plan, with lots of protein and fiber. I drink 16 ounces of water. I clean the kitchen.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:44 AM   #6  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

For me, it has been helpful to write down all the reasons TO binge, then take a moment to argue against them. Not only does it help with thinking clearly, it inserts a pause before the eating starts. For example:

Reason: I really want to eat all of this because I feel bad and it will make me feel better.
Answer: Do you really want to eat this or do you want to feel better? Because these are different things. Eating may make you feel better temporarily, but it doesn't in the long run, you know. What is making you feel bad, and how can you address it without resorting to food?

That sort of thing.
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

These are good ideas! Thanks.

Since I've been having trouble in the evening....I went looking for an article that might help. It's from sparkpeople. Thought I'd share:

Is Evening Eating Destroying Your Weight Loss Efforts?
Cues to Eating and How to Control Them
-- By Becky Hand, Licensed & Registered Dietitian

Balanced breakfast? Check
Mid-morning snack? Check
Healthy lunch with your co-workers? Check
Passing up your friend's homemade cookies? Check
Coming home in the evening and going on a feeding frenzy? CHECK!!

Does this sound like the bulk of your days? You're in control, everything is going fine - until you come home starving at night and eat a large dinner, say yes to dessert (and seconds) and finish off a bag of chips before bed. What gives?

From a metabolic standpoint, there is really no reason not to eat food in the evening. A calorie is a calorie regardless of when it is consumed. A morning calorie is metabolized in basically the same way as an evening calorie. However, eating in the evening is a problem for many, not because of the way food is metabolized, but because of the quantity of food that is often eaten.

Skipping meals and becoming overly hungry by evening can lead to nighttime binge eating. Recent studies revealed that when people ate three meals a day only 13% binged. When people skipped breakfast, 24% binged and when people skipped breakfast and lunch, 60% binged. In general, people who spread their meals throughout the day seem to be better able to control their eating. They are less likely to feel hungry and less likely to overeat. So by eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner and planning snacks in between, you can help yourself lose weight as well as maintain better control of your eating throughout the day and night.

For most people, the evening is "down-time," used to relax, watch television, and unwind from the stresses of the day. Others view this as a time to multi-task and catch up on household chores, bills, homework, and other responsibilities. Whether you're winding down or checking off your to-do list, unconscious eating can accompany your routine and result in a massive calorie intake. Devouring a bag of chips, a sleeve of cookies, or a pint of ice cream can occur when your mind is somewhere else.

The Role of Sleep
Consuming a large amount of food before bedtime can also result in indigestion and sleep problems, which can trigger you to eat more during the proceeding days. A growing body of research suggests a connection between obesity and lack of adequate sleep. Statistics show that overweight individuals sleep about 1.8 hours less a week than people of normal weight. Since the 1960's sleep duration for American adults has dropped by as much as two hours a night, while obesity has drastically increased.

Sleep is a regulator of two hormones that effect appetite, leptin and ghrelin. Leptin helps suppress food intake and stimulate energy expenditure, while ghrelin stimulates appetite, fat production, and body growth. When one is sleep deprived, the level of leptin drops and the level of ghrelin increases. The result is a drastic increase in hunger. One study reported a 24% increase in hunger, with excessive, uncontrollable cravings for calorie and carbohydrate packed foods such as cookies, candy and cake. It can all add up to a vicious cycle of late night binges, lack of adequate sleep, uncontrolled snacking, late night binges, and so on.

Are You An Evening Eater? Try this exercise to find out.
Keep track of 3-5 typical days of eating. Print or check each day's results and use your records to answer the following questions:

1. How many meals and snacks did you eat after 5:00 pm?
2. How many meals and snacks did you eat during the day?
3. How many total calories did you consume after 5:00 pm?
4. How many total calories did you consume for the day?
5. What activities occurred while you ate after 5:00 pm?

You may have a problem with evening eating if:

# More than one-third of your meals & snacks are eaten after 5:00 pm.
# More than one-third of your total calories are consumed after 5:00 pm
# Evening eating constantly occurs with another activity.

Put An End to the Evening Binge Cycle!
You CAN control evening eating disasters. Try these tips to normalize sleeping patterns and fend off hunger:

* Plan activities to do throughout the evening, but don't make food a part of the activity:
o Take a bath
o Walk the dog
o Pay bills; balance the checkbook
o Play board games with the kids
o Call a friend
o Keep your hands busy (polish the silver, sew, knit, or do any craft)
o Play basketball, baseball, soccer
o Read a book or magazine
o Try a relaxing fitness video such as yoga or tai chi.
* Eat 3 meals daily and 1-2 planned snacks, keeping in mind your total calorie range.
* Plan to eat about the same number of calories at each meal throughout the day. The total should be within your calorie range.
* Have a low-calorie beverage (diet soda, flavored water, etc.) in the evening.
* Make a list of low-calorie snack options. Select one for the evening. Eat it, but no more.
* Don't eat mindlessly! Eat all meals and snacks at the kitchen table, keeping all of your attention on the food you're enjoying. Take your time and really enjoy every bite.
* Get 7-8 hours of sleep nightly.
* Maintain a regular bed and wake time schedule, even on the weekend.
* Establish a regular, relaxing bedtime routine.
* If you have trouble sleeping, leave the bed (or room) and pursue another activity like reading until you're ready to sleep. Use your bedroom only for sleep and sex.
* Finish eating at least two to three hours before your regular bedtime.
* Exercise regularly.
* Avoid caffeine and alcohol close to bedtime; avoid nicotine altogether.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote