3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   How often do you weigh yourself? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/147672-how-often-do-you-weigh-yourself.html)

starchild 07-30-2008 12:26 PM

I weigh several times a day (I'm a complete scale junkie!!!), but only record my Monday morning weigh-ins.

I'm at a point where I can weigh several times a day and not be frustrated over the fluctuations, but it took awhile for me to be able to do that.

I weigh daily to help me maintain "control" with my eating. It helps me tremendously.

Star2Be 07-30-2008 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midwife (Post 2292009)
A daily weight is just a snapshot, and you have to put together all the pieces to get an accurate idea of where you are and where you are going.

This is a great way of putting it! Thanks midwife. I, too, weigh myself every day (er, sometimes multiple times a day, though I've been trying to stop doing that!) I just like to stay informed about my day-to-day progress, the downs AND the ups. :dizzy:

BAILYBOO 07-30-2008 12:49 PM

I weigh daily .I just feel better and if I see I gained a pound or so I work harder that day. :)

valpal23 07-30-2008 01:11 PM

I used to weigh daily.. several times per day actually. But it completly controlled my emotions and made me miserable. So now I stick with weekly...

I think once I get closer to my goal I'll go back to more often weigh ins.. just to keep myself on track. Right now seeing my weight is just too discouraging to see every day. (despite having come so far.. we are our own worst critics)

jennisue 07-30-2008 04:55 PM

Hi,

I get weighed in once a week with the plan I am on--but I would most likely weigh myself more but I don't own a scale-- I got rid of it 3 years ago- and was able to gain a lot of weight without really noticing. I would suggest that there be some accountablity because when you chose to ignore the situation it still exist.

I went from 157 lbs to 260lbs which is where i have restarted in April --after the doctor had to weigh me I remember being shocked and crying because I knew I gained but really didn't think is was that much-

If you didn't gain it over night you can't lose it over night give yourself time and watch the scale go down.

Jen

blueyedlvrgirl 07-30-2008 07:06 PM

I faced the same problem for the first 6 months of trying to lose weight. I would lose then stay the same for weeks, then lose 2 lbs, then stay the same again. It was so frustrating to not see the scale reflect all of my hard work. I don't know what plan you are following, I am a calorie counter. I struggled with finding the right intake with the exercise I do. Then I didn't know how much to eat on the days I wasn't exercising. When I lost weight, it pretty much seemed like it happened on accident, b/c I didn't know which of the things I was doing caused it. That has all changed. I bought a bodybugg and weight loss has changed for me. After barely losing 3 lbs in a month, I have now lost 3.4 lbs the first week and 3.6 lbs the second week (I skipped the gym for the whole week and had TOM too). That's 7 lbs in 2 weeks! I have found this little device to be my saving grace. It tells me how many calories I am burning each day, that way I KNOW how many I should be eating to lose weight. The bodybugg has pulled from the depths of despair and made me excited about counting calories and working out again. Now I rush home to upload my data so I can see how many calories all of my hard work has burned. I highly recommend checking it out. www.bodybugg.com I hope this information has helped! PM if you want more info. Also, there is a thread that contains a lot of info. http://3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146354

--Misty

yoyonomoreinvegas 07-30-2008 07:26 PM

Every 15 minutes (kidding). But I do weigh every day and, since the weather has gotten so hot, I've actually started weighing twice a day - once first thing in the morning and once when I get home from work. I've discovered that I sometimes weigh 2 or 3 lbs less in the afternoon than I did in the morning. My "official" ticker weight is the morning weight that I see most during the week but being able to see that lower afternoon weight keeps me from getting (too) depressed about the hikes.

DollyLang 07-30-2008 11:02 PM

I just started a week ago, and so I don't own a scale. I've been stopping by the Dr's office and using theirs until I get one.

~Dolly

Pandora123a 07-30-2008 11:49 PM

I always weight first thing in the morning, only count Monday as my "official" weigh in day, and frequently weight once or twice more, usually just before bed.

I think all the weighing is a little crazy, but I work hard to focus on the pleasure of seeing a smaller number than when I started. While I hate the pound or two up, reframing to say "hey, that middle number was a 5 not too long ago" lets me take pleasure in whatever the number is. Very frequent weighing has also made me comfortable with the normal fluctuations of my body.

Pandora123a 07-30-2008 11:50 PM

I always weight first thing in the morning, only count Monday as my "official" weigh in day, and frequently weight once or twice more, usually just before bed.

I think all the weighing is a little crazy, but I work hard to focus on the pleasure of seeing a smaller number than when I started. While I hate the pound or two up, reframing to say "hey, that middle number was a 5 not too long ago" lets me take pleasure in whatever the number is. Very frequent weighing has also made me comfortable with the normal fluctuations of my body.

JulieJ08 07-31-2008 12:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Every day. Monday morning is official weigh in day. I like to see the patterns. Just to give an idea, I'll post my loss chart too. I was very spiky the first 2-3 months. In the last several weeks I've leveled out a lot - Instead of up and down all the time, I now seem to just stay the same weight several days before dropping 1/2 a pound. Lather, rinse, repeat.

midwife 07-31-2008 09:05 AM

Thanks for posting this poll! Daily weighing can get a bad rap sometimes but I really think it can be a useful tool as long as a person doesn't get worked up over temporary ups on the scale.

I love the graphs people posted! What a great visual! How often do people post with discouragement that the scale jumped and they don't know what to do. These graphs show that it is normal to go up and down a bit and that it is the overall trend that counts. :carrot:

ladybugnessa 07-31-2008 09:09 AM

I weigh daily
I chart it with notes on what i ate the day before etc and i record my exercise on the same chart

i only look at what i weighed in May 2006 (286 pounds) vs what I weigh now....

I weighed light today... tomorrow i will weigh more... the trend matters more....

H8cake 07-31-2008 01:17 PM

Thanks for posting this poll. I've been a weekly weigher, but that morning is always a little stressful. I thought the daily weighing would be worse, but after reading this thread maybe I'll try daily. I have seen the pattern of weight loss though. Usually I only lose two to three weeks out of the four each month, due to tom. Some months I've went for two weeks without a loss and then suddenly drop four pounds. Now I don't stress so much, it all comes off eventually if you stick to the plan.
I too gained a lot of weight by not weighing for months at a time.

Jess8 07-31-2008 01:26 PM

Hooray!

I am glad that we learned something with my poll! Reading all the responses and viewing the poll results has definitely changed my mind about weighing weekly. I started weighing in daily as of Tuesday and it definitely does take the shock value out of the equation for me.

I also started a diet blog (with a link below, if you care to read it). 3FC has so many options for support and I urge everyone to take full advantage!
:p:p:p