Old 07-24-2008, 09:26 PM   #1  
Make it to the moon...

S/C/G: 5/8/19: 319/254.0/150.0

Height: 5'5"

Unhappy Disappearing Act

So... I was doing really well until my job changed and I quit smoking. Now I am the heaviest I have ever been. I was never thin when I smoked, but I do know that quitting had something to do with the ridiculous overpowering desire to eat everything and anything. When my job changed I went from easily walking 12-15,000 steps a day, to being lucky if I broke 5,000.
With a heavy diet of berries (new job, working for my parents on their blueberry farm) and a hatred for every disgusting picture I have taken over the last few months, my drive and desire to lose weight is back. The key is to keep it this time... ideas? hints? suggestions?
I plan on taking things a lot slower this time, making small changes each week until I'm exercising enough and eating right. Basic, but I'm hoping it might work...
I'm gonna need all the help I can get to stay on track this time folks... please help. I really need someone to check in with each week, anyone interested?
KimL1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/216.6/140

Height: 5'6

It sounds like you got a good idea... going slow. Burn-out happens a lot.

1. I use sparkpeople.com (but recently switched to nutrimirror) to write down what I eat. I am for 1200-1800 calories a day (I want 1200-1500, but I let up to 1800 for special days)
2. For about 2-3 weeks I measured everything to see how much a cup of rice is, 4 ounces of meat, etc. I still do it occasionally just to notice. I also use a smaller plate.
3. Up the water! I aim for a gallon a day! It sounds like a lot- I use 24 ounce glasses and always keep it full.
4. I have NOT restricted what foods, just how much. I eat cheese and butter and soy sauce and chocolate all the time! Just in smaller amounts.
5. Add veggies- frozen veggies at Kroger at 1.25 for a bag that lasts 3-5 meals.
6. Just notice what had more calories, sodium, and fat. Mostly calories. If you can get bread for 40 calories or 80 calories for a 20 cent difference, GO for it!
7. I'm also eating more often. Sometimes I'll even split up a meal... eat meat and a hour later have veggies. It helps me not binge out on one meal. I also don't eat out as much (b/c I'm poor)

And I'm not feeling like I'm missing something b/c I'm not restricting what foods I'm "allowed." This was the best way for me. I wasn't going to say "lori, you can't have this" b/c I would defy it. Instead I said, sure have ice cream. A serving size is a half cup- I'd measure it and eat it. The water and portion sizing seriously lost me 20 pounds in 1-2 months. Then I started slacking- I felt like I "knew" what I was having. I didn't realize I got back up to 2500 calories a day sometimes. So I'm re-measuring. I'm drinking the water. I'm being aware of myself- what I want and why. I'm exercising a little now- 2-3X a week, about 20 mins on the treadmill or elliptical and some weights. Maybe some weights. In the past 4 weeks I've lost about 8 pounds and gained muscle!
flutestarkiss9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:51 PM   #3  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Welcome back, Kim!

Quitting smoking is rough....congratulations! I also gained quite a bit after I quit smoking. Smoking satisfies a need within you. If you don't find a healthy way of satisfying that need, it's very easy to turn to food. Now, I use TV, reading, hot baths, Pogo, coming here to 3FC as my coping mechanism.

A group of us post on the Accountability thread here each day. We start a new thread every Sunday. You are welcome to come start posting with us. The accountability really does help keep me going. Also, we will be starting up another BL challenge to coincide with the new season in September. I'm sure the red team would love for you to come back to them.

You can do this, Kim! You know how. Now, it's just time to get committed and get moving in the right direction again. We're here for you.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:24 PM   #4  
FB

Welcome back!

You know what's a wonderful kickstart for me? The monthly points challenge. It rocks to check in every day and be accountable with your score.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:04 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Congrats on quitting smoking - that is a HUGE accomplishment. Sounds like you are approaching your weight loss with a good attitude. You CAN do this!
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:02 AM   #6  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Welcome back!!!

I am also taking it slow this time. I always set very unrealistic expectations for myself and then fail. Right now the focus is staying on plan after a bad choice. Tuesday afternoon I had 2 candy bars! (what was I thinking...obviously, I wasn't) Normally that would have sent me right off plan and Tuesday night would have been a crappy dinner and dessert, instead, I moved on and made good choices. For me, that's what always trips me up. So I think it's good to focus on small changes. They really add up!!

Last edited by Sandi; 07-25-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote