Old 08-30-2008, 11:00 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
Due to your age and your living-at-home situation, where you have little control over the food that comes into the house, you may want to also bring in the authority of medicine. You got interested in losing weight after a trip to the doctor. Enlist her help in your program. Talk to the doctor about the best plan for you, and maybe a dietitian if you can.

Then you can couch your plan in medical terms more than in terms of "just losing weight". I find that if I say I'm dieting and avoiding sugar and refined flour, my in-laws push food on me anyway. But once I started saying "The doctor says I'm sugar sensitive, and that my body reacts poorly to sugars and refined flours" they became all sorts of supportive.

Same plan (whole grains and no sugars). Same me. Same in-laws. Different result, because I had the "authority" of the medical profession behind me. It's no longer a "diet" in their minds, but a medical condition.

Use whatever you need to, hun!
Nice.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:05 AM   #32  
BlockHead =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchAPrettyFace View Post
Now it all makes sense. She is going to lose her eating buddy & also what if she is still big & you've lost weight? Then the pressure is on her to lose as well.
I went through this with my mother in law the last time I lost a significant amount of weight. She is quite a bit shorter than me but only 1 size down from me and I think she was very jealous. She kept making comments about how I was losing too fast and it was unhealthy etc. She did the same thing to her sister when she lost weight. It will be interesting to see if she says anything this time around as this time around she knows I have Type2Diabetes.
jeniansmom is offline   Reply With Quote