Old 07-09-2008, 02:22 AM   #1  

Default 17 pounds in a week?!?

I found this "7 day soup diet"... It's supposed to make you lose 10-17 pounds in a week. That right there I was like "ack, thats not safe".. But I got to reading it, and it sounds okay to me.. But I was wondering what you all thought...

I'll type it out, its a bit long..

You can have any kind of soup at any time, during any of the days, whenever you're hungry.

Drinks allowed at any time:
unsweetened juices
tea
coffee
cranberry juice
skim milk
WATER WATER WATER

DAY ONE: any fruit (except bananas). Eat only fruit and soup today
DAY TWO: all vegetables. All except dry beans, peas, and corn. At dinnertime have a baked potato with butter. No fruits today.
DAY THREE: all soups, fruits, and veggies. No potatos! If you haven't cheated, you should have lost 5-7 pounds by now.
DAY FOUR: banana's and skim milk. eat at least 3 banana's, and drink as much milk as you can, along with soups.
DAY FIVE: beef and tomatos. You can have 10-20 ounces of beef and a can of tomatoes, or as many as 6 tomatos. Eat soup at least once.
DAY SIX: beef and veggies. Eat to your hearts content. Eat soup at least once.
DAY SEVEN: brown rice, unsweatened fruit juice and veggies. Eat soup at least once.

By the end of the 7th day you should have lost 10-17 pounds, if you haven't cheated. The secret likes within the principle that you will burn more calories than you take in.
DO NOT HAVE: bread, alcohol, carbonated drinks, or fried foods.
HAVE AT LEAST 6-8 glasses of water each day.

I found it on some random website, and I can't even find the website anymore, because I cut and paste the diet thing in word. Has anyone even heard of this?

I don't think its supposed to be used for long-term. But rather a "jump start".. But I'm not sure.

Thoughts?

Last edited by lalique; 07-09-2008 at 02:23 AM.
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:46 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

Well, to lose 17 lbs of body fat in one week you'll have to burn 8,500 calories a day. That sounds unlikely; most of the weight will be water.

However, I noticed the diet is low in starchy and simple carbs... and with the calorie restriction you are sure to lose some weight.

The diet you posted doesn't seem harmful, but it's claims are unrealistic (I think).

Have you seen the blog "Skinny on being skinny"? The plan Koren follows helped her lose lots of weight. I've been following a similar diet and have been losing steadily. Best of all it's a plan that you can live with for the long haul.

Best of luck to you!
X
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:59 AM   #3  
gonna win the thin!

S/C/G: 270/see ticker/160

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

that seems like alot of weight to lose in one week, hmmmm. im with taurie on this one.
but some lady did tell me once that she lost 60lbs this year on some soup diet. maybe this was her diet? she didnt say anything about loseing weight that fast though....
math puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:23 AM   #4  
Feelin good in my skin

Height: 5'9"

IMO - This diet may be a great way to flush out your system and shrink your stomach. I think on the 8th day when you start eating normally again.. You'll notice the weight creeping back on... Pounds that fall off fast... Jump back on just as fast...
Marathon Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:13 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurie View Post
Well, to lose 17 lbs of body fat in one week you'll have to burn 8,500 calories a day. That sounds unlikely; most of the weight will be water.

However, I noticed the diet is low in starchy and simple carbs... and with the calorie restriction you are sure to lose some weight.

The diet you posted doesn't seem harmful, but it's claims are unrealistic (I think).

Have you seen the blog "Skinny on being skinny"? The plan Koren follows helped her lose lots of weight. I've been following a similar diet and have been losing steadily. Best of all it's a plan that you can live with for the long haul.

Best of luck to you!
X

No I haven't seen that blog... Do you have a link?
Old 07-09-2008, 06:34 PM   #6  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I've seen that diet before, ostensibly from the "Heart & Stroke" foundation, but it's NOT "eat any soup you want' it's a specific recipe that goes with it -- a very plain veggie & cabbage soup -- as in, no, CREAM OF BROCCOLI doesn't count LOL

I'd check the website again, the recipe for the soup has to be on there
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:37 PM   #7  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Found it... the eating plan is the exact same

The Original Cabbage Soup Recipe

Ingredients:

6 large green onions
2 green peppers
1 or 2 cans of tomatoes (diced or whole)
3 carrots
1 container (10 oz. or so) mushrooms
1 bunch of celery
half a head of cabbage
1 package Lipton soup mix
1 or 2 cubes of bouillon (optional)
1 48oz can V8 juice (optional)
Season to taste with salt, pepper, parsley, curry, garlic powder, etc.
Directions:

Slice green onions, put in a pot and start to saute with cooking spray.
Cut green pepper stem end off and cut in half, take the seeds and membrane out.
Cut the green-pepper into bite size pieces and add to pot.
Take the layers of outer leaves off the cabbage, cut into bite size pieces, add to pot.
Clean carrots, cut into bite size pieces, and add to pot.
Slice mushrooms into thick slices, add to pot.
If you would like a spicy soup, add a small amount of curry or cayenne pepper now.
You can use beef or chicken bouillon cubes for seasonings. These have all the salt and flavors you will need.
Use about 12 cups of water (or 8 cups and the V8 juice), cover and put heat on low. Let soup cook for a long time - two hours works well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

And, here is the eating plan (remember, this diet should only be followed for 7 days at a time, with at least two weeks in between) ...
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:47 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post
Found it... the eating plan is the exact same

The Original Cabbage Soup Recipe

Ingredients:

6 large green onions
2 green peppers
1 or 2 cans of tomatoes (diced or whole)
3 carrots
1 container (10 oz. or so) mushrooms
1 bunch of celery
half a head of cabbage
1 package Lipton soup mix
1 or 2 cubes of bouillon (optional)
1 48oz can V8 juice (optional)
Season to taste with salt, pepper, parsley, curry, garlic powder, etc.
Directions:

Slice green onions, put in a pot and start to saute with cooking spray.
Cut green pepper stem end off and cut in half, take the seeds and membrane out.
Cut the green-pepper into bite size pieces and add to pot.
Take the layers of outer leaves off the cabbage, cut into bite size pieces, add to pot.
Clean carrots, cut into bite size pieces, and add to pot.
Slice mushrooms into thick slices, add to pot.
If you would like a spicy soup, add a small amount of curry or cayenne pepper now.
You can use beef or chicken bouillon cubes for seasonings. These have all the salt and flavors you will need.
Use about 12 cups of water (or 8 cups and the V8 juice), cover and put heat on low. Let soup cook for a long time - two hours works well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

And, here is the eating plan (remember, this diet should only be followed for 7 days at a time, with at least two weeks in between) ...
Eww... I can't do cabbage. Theres a LONG story that goes with that, but I'm not going to tell you guys cuz its really bad lol...
Old 07-10-2008, 12:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I've done this diet. I did it 2-3 times and followed it precisely. Want to see the results? Go to my blog and look at the pictures in the top left corner. Igot to 278 pounds doing just this kind of diet.

Being reasonable isn't always fun, or stunning, but it works.

Last edited by Lyn2007; 07-10-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:28 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

Here's that thread. It's so inspirational.

3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132196&referrerid=88165

Let me know what you think.
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:46 AM   #11  
VSG'er 01/08/13

S/C/G: 339.95/220/190

Height: 5'10"

I've actually done this before... A number of times when I was younger and didn't NEED to diet.

It works well for what it is intended but to be honest:

The list of daily foods is very different from the portions I recall, and I was NOT allowed to drink juice at any time (even unsweetened), nor skim milk, etc.

The only thing I would use this for now is 1 1/2 weeks before I had to fit into something specific and I wanted to detox my system, loose water weight, etc. THEN I would do it...

You're suppose to drink 8 - 16 glasses of water, as well as eat the soup - as much as you want - as often as you want...

Honestly... The soup I did was without extra stock, and mixes and tasted fantastic but even 10 + years later I still have my stomach turn over the thought of doing it again purely because there was always more than one person doing it and cabbage + intestines =

This one is closer to what I recall:

Quote:
This recipe is known as the basic Cabbage Soup recipe that was used with the original diet.

1 head of Cabbage
6 Carrots
6 Onions (medium sized)
2 Red or Green Peppers
3 Tomatoes (large sized)
5 Celery Stalks (cleaned and trimmed)
Herbs to season it & salt and pepper to taste

Cut all vegetables and place in large pot or boiler. Cover with water and bring to a boil.
Let boil for ten minutes. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes, or until vegetables are soft and tender. Flavor with salt and pepper to taste. Make sure soup is cooled before placing in refrigerator.

Day 1

On the first day of the diet, you can eat as much soup as you like. You are also required to eat as many fruits as you like, except for bananas. So, that means you are allowed unlimited amounts of fruit and the Cabbage Soup, except for bananas. You may also drink unlimited amounts of water, cranberry juice, unsweetened tea, or black coffee.

Day 2

On Day 2 you may eat unlimited amounts of the Cabbage Soup as well as unlimited amounts of fresh, cooked, or raw vegetables. However, you may not eat beans, peas, or corn. There is no fruit allowed on Day 2. You may eat potatoes on Day 2.

Day 3

On Day 3, you may combine foods from the approved lists for Days 1 and 2, however you may not eat potatoes, beans, corn, peas, or bananas. You may eat unlimited amounts of the Cabbage Soup and the approved fruits and vegetables.

Day 4

Day 4 is the day that you should notice your addiction to sweets lessens. You may eat up to 8 bananas and drink unlimited amounts of skim milk. You may also eat unlimited amounts of the Cabbage Soup.

Day 5

Day 5 is referred to as the Beef and Tomatoes day. On this day you may eat between ten to twenty ounces of beef. However, if you prefer you may substitute skinless chicken or fish for the beef. Also, you may eat up to six fresh tomatoes. You should include at least one bowl of Cabbage Soup as well. Your body will be releasing Uric Acid so be sure to drink plenty of water to help flush the acid from your body. (*note- if you substitute fish for beef on Day 5 you can not substitute fish for beef on Day 6 as well.)

Day 6

Day 6 is referred to as the Beef and Vegetables Day. You may eat unlimited amounts of beef and vegetables today. However, do not eat any baked potatoes today. Make sure to eat at least one bowl of the Cabbage Soup and drink plenty of water. It is a good idea to include green leafy vegetables.

Day 7

This is your final day on the diet plan. Be sure to eat at least one bowl of the Cabbage Soup. On day 7, you may eat unlimited amounts of brown rice, unsweetened juice, and vegetables. Drink plenty of water as well.
Cuter w Curves is offline   Reply With Quote