FDA Warns Consumers Nationwide Not to Eat Certain Types of Raw Red Tomatoes

• Hi folks - I saw this information on TV yesterday and heard it on the news this morning. I thought I'd let ya all know as an FYI. It has to do with a salmonella outbreak.

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2008/NEW01848.html

I have a package of cherry tomatoes in my fridge - glad they are considered safe at this point.
  • Thanks for the info!
  • Thanks for the information. I have to call our local stores and see where their tomatoes come from. I just bought some last night...

• Thanks! From your link:

On June 5, using traceback and other distribution pattern information, FDA published a list of states, territories, and countries where tomatoes are grown and harvested which have not been associated with this outbreak. This updated list includes: Arkansas, California, Georgia, Hawaii, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Belgium, Canada, Dominican Republic, Guatemala, Israel, Netherlands, and Puerto Rico. The list is available at http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopi...html#retailers. This list will be updated as more information becomes available.

FDA’s recommendation does not apply to the following tomatoes from any source: cherry, grape, and tomatoes sold with the vine still attached.

FDA recommends that retailers, restaurateurs, and food service operators not offer for sale and service raw red Roma, raw red plum, and raw red round tomatoes
  • I know McD's pulled all of their tomatoes yesterday because of this.
  • I thought something was weird - i went to subway and asked for my bread to be scooped out of the middle and he didn't bat an eye, but when i asked for tomatoes he said "are you crazy" hahah it was weird and the lineup was too long to get into it -- glad to know!
  • Quote: I thought something was weird - i went to subway and asked for my bread to be scooped out of the middle and he didn't bat an eye, but when i asked for tomatoes he said "are you crazy" hahah it was weird and the lineup was too long to get into it -- glad to know!
    That is funny!!

Lori, I read about McDonald's too. Pretty sad that is how I found out about the tomatoes. I was interested in what Mickey D's was doing.... ahhhh
  • This really sucks because I love tomatoes!