Got a Bike!

• I love my bike. I have only been out 2 times due to tonsilitis but it is so much fun. I had not ridden in 25 years. (I think I ditched the bike when Mom and Dad gave me the keys to the car.) I have enjoyed it a lot. I have also lost 11 or 12 pounds which is probably due to the tonsilitis as well as cutting back and getting out for walking for exercise.

If I could lose 5 -10 more pounds by June 18 I would be ecstatic.

Oh yeah on another note....I met a guy on my first bike ride and we have date set up for next week after I am over tonsil thing. I pulled my bike up to a bench and he was sitting at the next one and we just began chatting an hour later the sun was setting and I had to go but we made plans for coffee next week.

May has been a pretty good month ....(well except for the tonsilitis)
  • that is so awesome! on all accounts... how exciting! well done you!
  • Oh yeah! You'll be hooked in no time! I lovelovelove my bikes! I've just got back from an 18.5 mile ride. Love them!
    And how cool about the guy??? Double great day for you!
  • oooo a guy, bikeride and loosing weight, get you
    I think I may get my bike working again soonish
  • Awesome! And good luck on the date !!
  • Congrats to you on the bike and the guy!!

I really want to get a bike pretty badly, but I am sooooo afraid of falling and really hurting myself. At my size, my balance isn't very good.
  • Awesome! Believe it or not, I don't even know how to ride a bike. I should have learned when I was a kid, but didn't.

It would be a little weird to learn now. I've personally never seen a 34 year old guy riding a bike with training wheels
  • Congrats!! Let us know how the date goes.

Quote: Awesome! Believe it or not, I don't even know how to ride a bike. I should have learned when I was a kid, but didn't.

It would be a little weird to learn now. I've personally never seen a 34 year old guy riding a bike with training wheels

My best friend just recently learned how to ride a bike - at 31 years old! She didn't have training wheels...lol. I think it was easier for her to learn at this age. You should go for it. It is really fun to ride a bike!
  • Can you (or anybody) tell me: is there a weight limit for a "regular" bike?

Also does anybody know the weight limit to ride a horse? These questions have been on my mind but I've never known anybody to ask
  • I don't know anything about horses, but most bikes are fine. Some carbon fiber road bikes might be iffy, and you'd want to check the spoke count on those- but in general yeah, most bikes are fine for most people unless they're specialty ultra light (and fragile) race bikes. Even with those specialty bikes I see many heavier people riding those. Your local bike store or Team Estrogen and Bike Forums online have a lot of great information for heavier cyclists. I watch the psi on my tires and tend to go close to the higher end to avoid flats. Even when my husband was 320+ pounds he rode long distances without a problem on a typical mountain bike. At my high weight I haven't had any worries (so far).
  • Thanks!
  • I would love to get a bike! I used to ride all the time, and I could see me doing it again, but I tried to ride my sons bike and OMGosh the seat was aweful! Felt like it was gonna get stuck up in there - if ya know what I mean. But I think I am gonna go to the bike shop a few blocks from where I work and out of curiosity ask - I bet they are very expensive now
  • I think your message may have inspired an increase in bike sales this month!

I love my bike. It's one of my favorite exercises and this is the best time of the year to get out there. My husband loves to bike to.