3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   My 1st 5k (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/141513-my-1st-5k.html)

traci in training 05-04-2008 10:25 AM

My 1st 5k

Did my first 5k yesterday - what a rush!

I entered as a walker because I didn't think I could run enough of it to be a runner, then I ran in intervals like I do on a regular exercise day. It was cold and windy and not the best day, but I DID IT!

I finished in just under 42 minutes averaging about 4.5 mph. A year ago I couldn't walk a mile at 3.5 mph, so that's some big change for me.

I set out trying to be the first walker finished but two ladies caught up to me at an intersection and then got ahead of me. They were jogging/walking like I was. When we got to the finish line they were about 1-2 minutes ahead of me. Well, when they started anouncing places one of them placed in her age group. She was a runner! I almost beat a darn runner! And I WAS the first walker finished.

DH finished first in his age group and youngest daughter finished 2nd in hers, which made for a great morning. We went to move oldest daughter's stuff home from college afterward and after we told the tale she decided she wants to do the next one with us.

I'm a little sore this morning, but overall I'm just floating! Next weekend is my break between semesters and DH and I are going on a weekend trip to ride bike trails. We'll end up in Sioux Falls, SD where there's a 15 mile trail around the waterfalls. Since we'll be biking about 30 miles on Saturday I thought it was only reasonable that I get a "whirlpool for two" suite to stay in. We'll be earning the whirlpool, don't ya think? :-)

I am so excited to be living a different ACTIVE life!

fiberlover 05-04-2008 11:18 AM

:bravo:

xGurlyGrlx 05-04-2008 02:20 PM

Very exciting! :congrat:

traci in training 05-04-2008 09:27 PM

Thanks, ladies! I'm still kind of glowing about the whole thing. I called my brother (younger, fitter, always an athlete) and he about croaked. He couldn't believe I did it.

ahill1979 05-04-2008 10:56 PM

Wow! That is so great. You did great. Congrats. Have fun on your bike trail. I want to do things like this and you make me believe that one day I will be able to.

GirlyGirlSebas 05-05-2008 07:45 AM

Congratulations! "You've come a long way, Baby!"

newbebop 05-05-2008 08:15 AM

WAY TO GO!

I am entertaining the thought of entering a 5k near me. I am no where ready, but I might just do it. I imaging the feeling when you are done has got to be incredible! Keep up the great work!

~betsy

barbygirl43 05-05-2008 09:22 AM

:woohoo: That is awesome. It's the greatest feeling isn't it? Congrats on getting that first one under your belt.

Trazey34 05-05-2008 09:30 AM

wow what an accomplishment!!! yay!!!

Jen415 05-05-2008 09:47 AM

Well done Traci!!! :):):)

wendymeows 05-05-2008 10:30 AM

Congratulations!!! My dd and I did a 4k a few weeks ago and she saw that a 5k is coming up next weekend and asked if we were going so I told her we would. We are both very excited! 4k whooped me so I will have to push hard to make that extra :dizzy:

skinnyinsideout 05-08-2008 09:57 PM

Hooray for you! I have been doing the couch to 5k on the treadmill - got to week 4 and things were going great. Decided to do a workout outside and I couldn't run for 60 seconds! SO I started over on my training and finally just did week 2, day 1 today. It was very hard, so I am in awe of your success - you rock! I'll think of you as I pant thru my 90 second running intervals Saturday morning :D!

Beverlyjoy 05-09-2008 06:48 AM

That's wonderful!! It is a great accomplishment. Good for you!!

:D:D:carrot::carrot::carrot::D:D