3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Feeling Very Discouraged... Need Some Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/141135-feeling-very-discouraged-need-some-support.html)

Halichick 04-29-2008 08:16 PM

Feeling Very Discouraged... Need Some Support

Hi Everyone!

I'm having a really bad day, feeling very discouraged. I need to vent a little.

I went for my weigh-in this evening and I'm up almost a whole pound again. I mean WTF? :mad: I'm following the plan (LAWL) exactly and I've totally changed my eating habits. Why can't I lose weight?? I have PCOS so that makes it even harder to lose weight in the first place but I kind of expected to lose more than 3.8 lbs in a month. I always thought that obese people lost the first 15-20 lbs quite quickly and then slowed down like people of a healthier weight. I'm considered morbidly obese (my BMI is 38) so you'd think that I'd be down at least 10 lbs by now.

Sorry... needed to get that off my chest... I'm super upset right now and feeling like a failure. :(

ItsGreat2BeMe 04-29-2008 08:22 PM

Hey, glad you vented and actually felt like joining you. Went for my weigh-in too and wasn't thrilled.

We ARE NOT failures ok? Let's start over tomorrow with a positive attitude and meet back here with the good things that happened during the day :-)

Is it a date?
(Look, we are at exactly the same weight!!)

Start date : April 24th 08
Start weight : 253
Current weight : 251.6

@---)-)---Tammy @---(-(---

Shannon1983 04-29-2008 08:25 PM

I am sorry to hear you did not have a good Day.
ALWAYS try and look at it in a postive way ( i know it it totally hard) and go on from there.
Tomorrow is a new day and maybe you can do something tomorrow that will help you that you could not do today.
please let us know how you are doing and if you need to vent do so!!!

Lovely 04-29-2008 08:28 PM

:hug:

Sometimes medical conditions (such as PCOS) make it difficult to lose weight even when we're obese. It sucks!

Other things could be going on. Is it near TOM? Drinking enough water?

I am going to get mad at you for a moment here. Since when does losing any amount of weight make you a failure? You came out at the end of this month 3.8 pounds less than what you were in the beginning. That sounds like a success to me.

If you'd like to compare yourself to other people, then let's: All those people who can lose faster than you? How many of them have gained it back and then some. Where are you? Down 3.8 lbs. PERMANENTLY. Right? A year from now where are they? Perhaps they're thinking of starting over... again. Where will you be? If you "only" lose 3.8 lbs a month, you'll be 45.6 closer to your goal.

It's not about losing fast! That's the media talking! This is about taking it off and keeping it off.

You can do this :hug: You're already 3.8 lbs closer.

And lastly, the pounds aren't the only thing that changes about us. I know that simply eating better & exercising more has me feeling like a million bucks! A year ago I felt lazy...sluggish... within days of changing my diet I could tell there were differences. Small, but positive. Take a look at what you've done. Are you feeling healthier? It all matters! :hug:

shelby897 04-29-2008 08:39 PM

I'm with you on the idea that the more we weigh, the faster it should start to drop -- but I tested that theory --- I lost over 7 pounds my first week on WW by completely sticking to the plan -- had I stuck to my plan, I'm sure now two months into it I could have been down more than 14 -- but you know what, I'll take the 14 and run with it :dizzy: -- had I not started a program I most likely would have gained 14 pounds the last two months.

The year will pass whether I exercise, eat right or not -- how great it would be to end the year with a noticeable difference in my size?

So, if it takes us 6 months or 1 year to reach our goal, it's a road worth traveling! :D

LaurieDawn 04-29-2008 11:51 PM

Congratulations on losing those pounds despite the PCOS. Way to go!

Be sure not to take the scale too seriously. There are so many better indicators of gaining a healthier body.

findingfawn 04-30-2008 09:34 AM

You are doing great! Don't get down on yourself!

Beverlyjoy 04-30-2008 10:01 AM

Darn that scale....YOU KNOW you've been doing all the right things and staying with your plan. Try to validate your efforts by your actions instead of the scale. (I know...easier said than done)

But - chin up, friend. You've been doing great.

Wannabeskinnymama 04-30-2008 10:36 AM

There are so many other factors........try not to obsess about the scale.
Ask yourself honestly this few questions???

Did I make better choices than I have in the past?
Am I doing the best I can?
Am I drinking enough water?
Can I increase any type of exercise in my plan?

and then go from there.......
if the scale is a problem.......don't use it for awhile.

there will be other indicators in losing........clothes fitting better, more energy ......
this all takes time and .......like it or not......it all didn't get on you in a short amount of time and will take time for your body to adjust to losing.

Get out and get moving.......will really help!!

hugs,

thistoo 04-30-2008 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halichick (Post 2176226)
I always thought that obese people lost the first 15-20 lbs quite quickly and then slowed down like people of a healthier weight.

Unfortunately that's just not the way it works for everyone. I should know; it's taken me almost two years to lose 45 pounds, and I'm on week 3 of yet another plateau right now. I'm stuck right at 200! It would be funny if it weren't so depressing.

My point is that for some of us unlucky ones, it just goes slower and we have to work really hard for it. Sometimes knowing that you're not alone in your struggle helps, and sometimes you just have to be frustrated and vent. But the fact that you came here to talk about it is a great sign, because it means you're not planning to throw in the towel! Just keep working hard and you'll get there eventually. Maybe not as quickly as you hoped, but you learn to accept that after awhile too.

barbygirl43 04-30-2008 12:10 PM

:grouphug: It sucks when you're not one of the ones losing quickly.

Have you made permanent changes in your life regarding food and exercise. If you have then you are well on your way to a healthier life. Like the others have said, even if you lose just 3.8 pounds in a month that is amazing and awesome. Life will go on whether or not you choose a healthy path or an unhealthy one.

Halichick 05-02-2008 09:26 AM

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone. I really appreciate all the kind words. I'm going for another weigh-in this afternoon so I'll post my results when I get back. Here's hoping that I'm back on the weight loss track again. :)

pamatga 05-02-2008 12:59 PM

Halichick we have all been there, done that and wear the t-shirt

Like someone said, that is the media talking...all that about quick, painless and easy weight lose. That is balderdash--poppycock---and a whole lot of poop!!

You lost 3.8 lbs and lowered your BMI. You are closer to your goal than you were a month ago. Keep that in mind.

I hope you will take all of these words posted here and embrace them to your heart. It is all well-meant. When I am blue I come here. I don't know what I am looking for but I know that if I stick around, I will find it or it will find me.

You are going to do this and when you do we will be crowing along with you
:grouphug: