Old 05-01-2008, 04:15 PM   #31  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb Sounds like we have a lot of good cooks here

As usual, I copied and pasted some of these ideas for future reference. I make a very "well seasoned" homemade chili. I sent a bowl to one of my DH's coworkers who is crazy about chili. The only comment he made was he liked kidney beans better. I am following SBD (and will until I expire someday) so I switched to red beans which have no sugar added to them. Believe it or not, kidney beans do have sugar! I love my chili and I could eat it every day for weeks on end (sometimes I do) and I like the idea of where you can dress it up or down depending on how "seasoned" you like it.

My "guidelines" for preparing food ( even our everyday meals) is that it should look "appealing", it should be moist and not overly done or dry, it should be colorful, it should have the right amount of seasonings so the average person would enjoy it and the "tongue" texture should be agreeable. Depending on the occasion, some foods which are more finger-friendly are preferable. Especially if you have to stand rather than sit or you are a small child.

I also take into consideration the weather. Chilis, warm crusty bread (if your food plan allows) are great on chilly days along with a hot cup of hot cocoa can be a real "warm in the tummy" good meal. Cool fruit or vegetables salads are great during the warmer summer months. Sometimes, having a "make your own sandwich" can be a great summer buffet luncheon. As we are moving into summer and doing more outdoor grilling, vegetable kabobs are a great asset to any kind of main dish. Chilled iced tea or fruit and water spritzers are nice accompaniments.

I agree with kaplod. I want to eat food that fit those criteria everyday not just special occasion and I try to do that with every meal I share with my DH. It doesn't take as much time as you think and you really feel like you also "fed your soul" as well as your belly.

Last edited by pamatga; 05-01-2008 at 04:17 PM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote