Water and interrupted sleep

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Don't get me wrong I am really enjoying drinking my water. In fact I can't even look at a diet coke anymore. The problem is that I now wake up and have to go to the bathroom throughout the night. I try to drink the majority of the water before noon but it doesn't seem to help. I know it is not a marker of diabetes for me. It started with my increased water consumption.
    Anyone else facing this? Maybe I just need to take the attitude of c'est la vie...
  • I get up once a night, now. I think your body will adjust. If you've bumped up your water intake significantly in a short period of time, your body might be working itself up to being able to hold more.

I used to pee all the time - now I drink the same amount of water, but my body processes it more efficiently and seems to hold more.

Give it some time, and it may even out.
  • ughh.. I'm experiencing this too to the point where my husband is noticing it. Hopefully like Mandalinn82 says- our bodies will get used to it.
  • What Manda said. I am getting up once a night. I am doing a clinical trial, though, that has me drinking upwards of 2 gallons per day. When I wasn't on this medication, I didn't get up at all.

Hopefully your body will adjust in time. How long have you been drinking increased amounts of water? Are you having other liquids as well?
  • I drink alot and when I first upped it (I drink 3 quarts a day at least) I was getting up and going too. It has stopped, so I'm guessing that the body gets used to all of it eventually.
  • I go to bed aorund 11 and pee then... then again at 4 and 6 (up at 6-630). Its annoying but I just think, "I am melting awayyyyyyyyyyy..."
  • OMG! I have the same problem! It's so bad that I'm really tired during the day. Last night I got up at 1:30 am, and 4:40am it was horrible.
  • Yeah, I'm up at least twice a night for a visit to the potty. Not fun.

I figure it's just part of the package though and there's nothing I can really do about it. Oh well. At least we burn a couple more calories getting out of the bed. Hey, ya gotta look at the bright side, right?
  • I'd say go with c'est la vie! There are really worse problems to have... ya know?

Jay
  • It helps to know everyone else is facing it.
    The bright side is my teenage boys can't sneak out of the house in the middle of the night now!!!!
  • Quote: It helps to know everyone else is facing it.
    The bright side is my teenage boys can't sneak out of the house in the middle of the night now!!!!
    LOL!!!!
  • OMG I am so relieved! I thought I was just getting OLD!!!

But now that I read this thread... the getting-up-at-night-to-pee-thing started about 3 months ago! (About the same time I changed my daily eating/drinking habits!)

DUH!
  • I used to always be up 1-2 times per night when I was drinking *lots* of Diet Coke. Now I only have a little and not everyday (working on making that *very* occasional), so I'm drinking lots of water (at least 8 cups) plus some coffee and tea. It's still plenty (the urine is not dark, although not practically clear like before), but I'm not getting up at night. I'm loving that. But I think I need a little more water, so I'll see what happens this week.
  • I drink a gallon of water a day. When I first began this habit I was up two and three times a night. That was almost three months ago. Now I make it through the night. I learned to make a conscious effort to go just before bedtime whether I need to or not. I read in bed before going to sleep and it is far too easy to just turn off the light and go to sleep, but I know I will be up shortly if I do that. Hopefully your body will adjust as well.
  • It does get better. I make sure I go right before I go to sleep (which, as you can see, for me is after midnight) and then I have to go first thing when I get up in the morning. It has helped to eliminate oversleeping some ... since once the alarm goes off in the morning I HAVE to get up to go pee.