Old 04-14-2008, 04:23 PM   #1  
In Onderland!!!!

S/C/G: 227/227/140

Height: 5'4

Default I just can't tell

I weighed in today and so far I have lost 21 pounds which I am VERY excited about!! I can feel a difference in my stomach mainly but everyone else says they see it in my face. Why don't I see it? When did you really start to notice a difference in how you look?
wendymeows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:31 PM   #2  
FB

I'll sound like a Debbie Downer/Rain on Your Parade type of girl, and I hate that, but---
I'm down 51, I don't see a physical difference (although I fully embrace my pants gradually getting saggy baggy) and one person has noticed, and they know I'm working on this so I don't know whether they're being nice or not. I have progress photos and don't see a remarkable change.

For others who've lost more or who started at less I'm sure you'll get different responses.

Last edited by FB; 04-14-2008 at 04:31 PM.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:36 PM   #3  
~One Day At A Time~

S/C/G: 301.2/Ticker/250

Height: 5 6"

I've only lost 14lbs so far, and I see a SLIGHT difference in my face. It's more thinner, and less puffy. I also notice a difference in my collar bone. I can start to see it! LOL! I think the results depend on the persons body. Everyones different. Don't worry one day you'll walk past a mirror and glance at yourself, and you'll notice a difference.
ThisTimeIsDifferent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:37 PM   #4  
FB

I wanted to add that although I started my plan because I was primarily concerned about my looks and the difference in my appearance I'm now getting to where I appreciate my progress in terms of fitness more than weight changes that I can see.

I notice a HUGE amount of difference in my energy and endurance and those are what will get me to where I definitely notice changes in my looks.

Last edited by FB; 04-14-2008 at 04:38 PM.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:08 PM   #5  
girl toward svelte

S/C/G: 196/ticker/150

Height: 5'10''

I would take progress pics - when you see yourself everyday, you forget what you looked like a few months ago, since you see a small difference every day. I'm going to take progress pics for every 10 lbs, and see if I see the difference!
audreymonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I'm tryign to remember when I noticed my first difference. I can't tell you how many pounds it was, but I do remember calling a girlfriend from my car outside the gym and leaving an incoherent and babbling message about how I have CHEEKBONES!!!!!!!

In retrospect it was silly ... but she also lost a lot of weight and so totally knew where I was coming from.

But the point is that it will sneak up on you - and at some point you'll look into the mirror and go "oh my gosh! collarbones! cheekbones! whoa!!!"

Edited to say that my weight and goals are very close to yours, and I think it was right around when I hit 200 that I first noticed it.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 04-14-2008 at 05:17 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:20 PM   #7  
bow chicka wow wow

S/C/G: 240/183/135-140

Height: 5'7"

see, my problem is i can see it in my neck and a tiny bit in my stomach but the scale hasn't moved at all! i wouldn't worry about it, even if you notice a little bit, that's better than nothing at all.
deathnotronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:46 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

To see it looking in a mirror took me a good 50 lbs. I know, it's frustrating, but remember, your eyes may see your new body, but your BRAIN doesn't recognize it quite yet. Basically, your brain recognizes common visual patterns, the sort of things you see all the time, and fills them in based on visual cues. Your eyes see your outline, some key features, and your brain fills in the rest based on previous memories of the way you looked. This is called "pattern recognition and completion".

When you lose weight, your eyes still see those basic visual cues, so your brain fills in the rest without seeing that you're actually smaller. It can take 6 months to a year to really adjust your brain to seeing what is actually there...that's why people see weight loss on you WELL before you can see it yourself.

Photos are different in size, so your brain doesn't recognize them the same way. That's why, so often, the first time we see our weight loss is in a photo (often that's the same with weight gain, by the way...how many of us first saw how out of hand our weight had gotten in a photograph? That's because, if we'd previously been thinner, our brain was still seeing us as thinner in the mirror). The brain doesn't say "this is me" when looking at you in a photo, and therefore takes in all of the visual information, unlike in a mirror, and you can see the difference.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:11 PM   #9  
McLovin' *TBL Red Team*

Very interesting Mandalinn!

I have lost 33lbs. and I don't really see a difference. My jeans are getting bigger....but I can't say I see a big difference. Some days I think my face is actually getting fatter!

My friend said she noticed when I lost my 1st 10lbs...but she also knew I was eating better....so I dunno!

Last edited by xGurlyGrlx; 04-14-2008 at 06:12 PM.
xGurlyGrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:49 PM   #10  
In Onderland!!!!

S/C/G: 227/227/140

Thanks for all the info! I mainly see where my stomach has went down some and I can feel that my shirts are wearing bigger and my shorts are baggy. I love it! But I also know that I could not have lost the whole 21 pounds from one area. My mom and my Dr. said they can tell in my face. I believe both of them but other people give me compliments and I never believe them because they know I am dieting so I think they are just being nice. I guess that's something I will have to get over. I will start taking pictures, I wish I would have from the beginning but my goal at first was just to get my bp down instead of looking good! *lol* Now that the bp numbers are right on, I want to see what I will look like
wendymeows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #11  
finding herself

S/C/G: 241/226/175

I hear you! visually, I still personally have a hard time with this too. but I have noticed changes in other ways. at first it was that I noticed that I had buttoned a pair of pants that I had been folding under. or all of a sudden I was using a different belt loop, or that I no longer had to stretch out my t shirts so they didn't cling to my tummy. ;-) I like those changes. although needing new smaller bras, not so much...;-)

It will happen. Hang in there.

~betsy
newbebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:35 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbaby View Post
I'll sound like a Debbie Downer/Rain on Your Parade type of girl, and I hate that, but---
I'm down 51, I don't see a physical difference (although I fully embrace my pants gradually getting saggy baggy) and one person has noticed, and they know I'm working on this so I don't know whether they're being nice or not. I have progress photos and don't see a remarkable change.

For others who've lost more or who started at less I'm sure you'll get different responses.
I am in the same boat you are. I have lost 40 to date, and really, I'm unable to tell. I still feel huge, I look down and I see my bulging stomach. My clothes fit a little looser, and I may see a little difference in my neck area. Other ppl say they can tell, and I'm glad they can, I'll be estatic when I can and I'm buying clothes out of the 20's.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:29 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 263/198/140

I am glad someone else worries about things like this!! I too have said this over and over- WHEN WILL I TELL? I am 20lbs down and my pants are a tad baggy (not anything huge) and I can wear shirts I haven't been able to wear in ages. But I still look in the mirror and see myself as just a fat blob.

But I keep at it anyways.
amazingplatinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:53 PM   #14  

Height: 5'5"

I have similar stats to yours as well, Wendy, and I lost in my stomach and my face first too. I didn't notice any difference in the first twenty or so pounds, but my 12YO son told me that my stomach was less jiggly. What I did notice, however, is that I was much more appreciative of my body and its shape because I was working so hard to give it one! Now I am about at my high school weight - a time when I felt like the fattest girl in history - and I feel really good about where I am.

I know that for about the first fifty, though, it was really about convincing myself that the health changes that I noticed almost immediately (fitness, less queasiness, etc.) made it worth continuing. And now that I have had some success and can DEFINITELY tell the difference, I honestly value the health successes more than the appearance ones - though both are really nice.

As for other people noticing, well... I talked to a church acquaintance a few weeks ago. She's a woman I see, on average, twice a week. She mentioned her father's weight struggles, and in the course of the conversation, I mentioned that I had lost about 80 pounds. (It was actually 77 at the time - but I really wanted it to be 80!) She was shocked that she hadn't really noticed that I had lost any weight. Of course, I think she weighs about 120, so I think I'm in the broad category of "much larger than her," which is where I started.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:18 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

For me...it first started to show in my face and chest area (boobies). I could tell more by the way my clothes fit.

It will show more and more as time goes on.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote