Old 07-10-2007, 11:37 PM   #1  

Default Excess skin...what happens?

X

Last edited by elmuyloco5; 03-26-2008 at 03:27 PM.
elmuyloco5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:46 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I suggest you take a look at this VERY informative sticky we've got here in the Body Images section of 3FC. It'll answer lots of your questions.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36040

I'll just add this: I do have some loose skin, though it's way better then I ever could have imagined and it is totally and completely not detectable in clothing. I would much rather have loose skin then be morbidly obese. Without a doubt. I love this new life that I have. Love it, love it, LOVE it. Flaws and all.

Anyway, check out that link. Lots of good stuff in there.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I lost around 75 lbs and I have loose skin on my stomach, inner thighs and right under my arms. I much much much prefer having a little loose skin to being 75 lbs heavier. I look totally cute in clothes On me, the loose skin only looks really really bad when I lean forward, then the stomach does look wrinkly and deflated. But hey, I'm 37 years old and I lost a lot of weight. This is my body, I was heavy and I lost weight, I accept it.

There is no way to tell if someone will have loose skin or not. It varies by age, elasticity of skin, amount of weight lost, time overweight, etc etc. Skin brushing, water drinking, exercise - in my opinion, can't make skin spring back (although there may be other very beneficial, worthwhile effects!).

Good luck to you!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:39 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I've lost a lot of weight since I started in April of 2006. I have a lot of loose skin. My stomach is the worst part, lots of wringles and it looks very deflated. My thighs are starting to get bad not that they are starting to go down (thighs and hips are big problem areas for me). The tops of my arms are loose. And with all of this I'm only 23 years old.

You can't tell my stomach (which is the worst part) with my shirts or swim suit. I will wear a thigh tank under my shirt so that it has a smoothing effect. You also can't tell about my thighs with jeans on. Sometimes I have problems with my arms and shirts being tight. I figure one day, after I have children, and my carrer starts to slow down (I'm a law student and the first few years of pratice are nuts) I'll probable get the surgery. I actually considered doing it before I got my first job out of school but realized that it would make it difficult for me to have kids so decide I'll probable have to wait.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is no magical cure. Like Glory said it all depends on the person how their skin handels it. I would say if your health improves having some loose skin is probable not the worst thing in the world. Think of it as a badge of honor and a constent reminder not to go back to where you were.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:47 AM   #5  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I've lost this weight before, sadly. I had loose skin after that. It was worst in my stomach, but the tops of my thighs, chest, and the bat wing area weren't great either. It bothered me. I'm shallow I guess , but I have enough issues with my body without hanging onto one that I can pay to get fixed. So this time around I say to **** with it, I'm getting plastic surgery when the time comes (and living in southern California, I can throw a rock out the window and hit one -- not that that is how I'll pick my surgeon mind you! ). I'd rather have the pain and some scars than be self-concious in the buff, but I know a lot of people don't feel as weird about it as I do. Bottom-line though, don't even worry about it now. What will be will be and you can decide later whether it bothers you or not. Healthy is ALWAYS better, no matter what the package looks like.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 349.123.105

I used palmers creame and it helped loads.
peytonthepeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:02 AM   #7  

X

Last edited by elmuyloco5; 03-26-2008 at 03:26 PM.
elmuyloco5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:15 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I know, when I first started it wasn't what I wanted to hear either. But I have to say that while my saggy skin is my least favorite part of my body, it is a heck of a lot better than the fat tummy and thighs I had before. And truly, it is really more visible to me than anyone else.

Saggy skin versus 120 extra pounds? I'll take the skin anytime.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:16 PM   #9  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

A little bit of saggy skin instead of an extremely increased chance of diabetes/heart disease/ cancer. Awww shucks! I think I will take the lil bit of loose skin.

Not too mention looking fat is NOT very pretty either, even WITH clothes on.
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:30 PM   #10  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

I've lost over 70 pounds and I have loose skin already on my belly and I think I'm going to have it on my inner thighs (though I've got more to lose!). This is after two pregnancies in two years, mind you.

When I was younger, I lost about 70 pounds and did not have any loose skin. I was 20-21 and am very hour glass shape and carry my weight a little bit of everywhere.

Like others, I'm more than willing to take the extra skin as a trade off for not being fat. I'm not fond of surgery, so I can't say that I'd have any tucks done, but I won't rule it out.
jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:43 PM   #11  

This thread freaks me out. The thought of loose skin scares me; I'm only 21. I feel like I've ruined my body for the rest of my life. But as everyone has said, the important part is my health improving... Still pretty dang scary, though.
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:51 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Winter,

Everyone is different. You definitely have youth on your side and have a better chance now of having less loose skin than if you wait 10-20 years. I have loose skin but it doesn't bother me much. It has also firmed up a little bit with time.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:23 PM   #13  
In motion

S/C/G: 208/???/140

I have a friend who recently lost 150 pounds. She did have some loose sking, but she still wore her tank tops and looks amazing. She's really inspired me on this journey. I agree with nelie, loose skin will firm up after a while. My friend's has tremendously.

Toki
Junesdaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:51 PM   #14  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

I asked the same question a few weeks ago. I figure it is better having loose skin than fat, plus I lift weights to help tone my arms, am doing sit ups to help with the stomach, and began using ankle weights, to help with the thighs. I don't know how much this will help, since I have alot to loose, I will learn in the future, but after 30 lbs I see loose skin at my thigh area, and in my arms, it is kind of scary at first, but I am getting used to it. I did this to my body and need to accept this, and be ready to work as hard as I can to change this body for the better.
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:28 PM   #15  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

This scares me too but I am young and have to hope for the best. My mom lost a ton of weight (about 70 pounds) when she was 38 (not the healthy way either) and she didn't have the saggy skin problem, so I am PRAYING her good genes for that were passed to me.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote