Horizontal stripes

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Are horizontal stripes always bad to wear when you're fat? Or are there exceptions? Does it depend on your shape or is it just going to make us look huge?
  • I think thin stripes are okay. They actually break up the solid color (which will accentuate every flaw).

Choose thick stripes and you're asking for trouble!
  • I wear stripes to add some visual interest, not head to toe or anything LOL

And I'm pretty sure it's the extra 100 lbs that makes me look fat not my shirt hehehehe
  • Well....according to Stacy and Clinton on What Not to Wear.....horizontal stripes on big people = bad idea. Ever since I heard this, I stay away from them.
  • Wouldn't be caught dead in them. Or big floral prints. Or those tops that won't seem to go away that make everybody look pregnant.
  • I think if clothes are clean, neat and not showing parts of the body that should be covered lol. A person should wear what ever they like. Some people like big flowered prints, some like little tiny dots. If a person feels good about how they look, they Carry them selfs well. There are certain colors, textures and prints that sure make all of us look bigger but I think what makes us look large is the extra weight lol.
  • I follow Stacy and Clinton's advice too......how funny! I can't get their voices out of my head.
  • Love Stacy and Clinton but is it just me -- there are extremely few "weight challenged" people on their show -- I'd love to see them send someone around NY looking for some cute size 18 clothes!!! I personally avoid stripes because I don't want to dry attention to myself -- but that's just me. Then again, I also had a period I wore only men's shirts -- so my fashion sense is sorely lacking!!!
  • Quote: Love Stacy and Clinton but is it just me -- there are extremely few "weight challenged" people on their show --
    They do have one on the show every once in a while. However, they are looking for size 14 or 16 and not my sizes!
  • They probably are a bad idea but I wear them all the time. I think because I can't get away with wearing stripey tights like I want to I wear stripey shirts...
  • If you like it, try it on and look in the mirror, or better yet take a photo. For every fashion "rule" there is an exception that will look great on you.
  • I think I've seen WNTW put strips on people when it's under a jacket or some sort of layered/structured look. I'm obsessed with the show.
  • When I get skinny - I HOPE someone will nominate me for that show. I have no sense of style anymore!!
  • I'd love to be on that show.

I don't have cable anymore but I do remember them having someone who had gastric bypass and had lost a bunch of weight and I think she was a size 18 or 20? Anyway, they had her shopping at Lane Bryant.
  • I would want to be on the show too because I feel like I am either wearing clothes that are too tight now or too lose. I don't know what looks better on me. I tend to go for tighter but who knows.

Anyway, I am wearing horizontal stripes right now! Before I would buy what I wanted but I did tend to go for vertical stripes now, I don't think it matters. I still say wear what you want.