How easy it is to overeat ....

• So.... this morning I vowed to start logging again, but I had an appointment in Jacksonville, which is two hours away at 10am. I got up and got myself a bowl of Grape Nuts and 2% milk without really thinking. About a cup of Grape Nuts... I'm being on the generous side to make sure I don't under estimate. 400 calories. 1 cup of 2% milk 123 calories.

Then on the way back I really, really needed a cup of coffee so I stopped at McDonalds which was the only place I could find and got myself one of their new coffees. Didn't know they were doing them till I got there. Yum. Caramel Latte. Large because I was falling asleep. Forgot to ask for non-fat... *sigh*... 340 calories. Ack! English Muffin... no butter.... grape jelly... 195 calories.

It's midday and I've eaten 1058 calories of my allocated 1460 calories for the day ....

How the heck did that happen? I don't feel full... I don't feel like I gorged on junk. I had a healthy cereal breakfast (all be it a LARGE one) and a coffee and English Muffin! That's it!!!

*sigh*

Just ranting... lol.... oh, and showing how ESSENTIAL it is that we log everything we eat, because it doesn't matter how little you THINK you are eating, it's always more than you're estimating
  • For lattes - it's the 5 calorie shot of espresso that wakes you up. Get a small non fat latte with a double shot of espresso - all the caffeine you need without significantly adding to the calories. A small non fat latte is about 100 calories - just for the milk.

I completely agree with you about the planning, tracking and accountability. The calorie count of what most people would consider "normal, unfattening" foods is a big eye opener (breakfast cereal, milk, a latte, an English muffin without butter).
  • Yeah.... I know the calories of coffee and milk, but I've been off the wagon for a couple of weeks and it was early and I was tired and not thinking.... wow, look at all those excuses!?!! I had it in my head to just get a regular coffee because I didn't realise McDonald's even had any other options... when I saw the alternatives I just ordered one because they looked good without thinking of the calorific value.... *sigh* ....

So.... off to the gym to run till I hit the 300 calorie mark so I can survive the day

• Exactly - this is big reason that I track everything. Including those times when I eat poorly (like Christmas Eve family dinner complete with cookies!). Just because we don't record it doesn't mean it doesn't count.
    With the portion distortion our society has, it's amazing to see what a typical day adds up to calorie wise.

And like Glory says, just get an extra shot of espresso in a tall size drink. That way, even if they make a mistake and give you whole milk - the size won't be so big.
  • Mama - good for you for being aware of it... sounds like you are getting right back on track!
  • Mama, you are right it is soooo easy to do. Even when you know better and later on you wonder what the heck you were thinking.
    It was definitely the coffee that got you. The rest of your day doesn't look unreasonable. Without the coffee you would be about half of your daily calories at midday.
  • Good job getting back on track!!

I absolutely hate logging what I eat, but I do it because I know I'll end up overeating. I freaked out last week when I ate my Smart One's lunch...I didn't know that there were two servings, at 4 points a piece, until I nuked everything up. I ate the meal, but cut back the rest of the day, ate a lot of veggies and walked on the treadmill.
  • Quote:
    The rest of your day doesn't look unreasonable. Without the coffee you would be about half of your daily calories at midday.
    Yeah... but the last thing I ate was at 9:30am.... lol....

I just hit the treadmill though at the gym and worked off about 280 calories, so that's almost the coffee (which was 340) so not feeling tooo bad about it now... lol... Can't believe I sabotaged myself like that though. UGH!
  • I once went out to lunch with a friend and had what I thought would be an "innocent" sandwich. Should have looked on line before we went... turns out the sandwich contained 900 calories!

I thought it tasted pretty darn good...

And combined with what I had for breakfast, I was done for the day!

Of course, I was still hungry come suppertime... so I ate a lower-cal supper... but still was over for the day.

Here's to learning lessons!

Jay
  • I think that's why I could never be a calorie counter. I count carbs by meal (diabetes necessity) and that's worked for me just fine, you know? Anyway, one mess up on a meal, wouldn't count for the rest of the day because it's by meal. I try not to mess up any meal so this rarely happens cause I don't give myself the freedom to overdue the plan on one meal and then starve the rest of the day. I know that when I mess up one meal, my blood sugar will pay so I stick to may plan at every meal. I don't know if it makes sense but it helps me stay focused and make better choices at all times.
  • One time I went to see a nutritionist and she told me to count carbs. I think she was allowing me 125 carbs, she said if I stuck to that, everything else would fall into place. I am such a calorie counter that I had a hard time with it.
  • Ack!! That's how it was for Easter for me--- I actually made WAY better choices than I would have a year ago...

And yeah, I knew I wasn't being GOOD... but I was being way BETTER... and I *still* logged 5500 calories for the day!!!!

It's SOOO easy to do it... that's why we can't really have an "off" day b/c it was easy to hit 5500 calories when I was TRYING... I can't even imagine what I would have logged calorie-wise LAST easter! ack!