3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   How do you measure your success? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/137394-how-do-you-measure-your-success.html)

Robin41 03-18-2008 11:27 AM

Success for me started out being measured by the drop in my blood pressure and glucose numbers. Once those numbers normalized, success became a matter of feeling good about making the right choices and exercising. Those are the things that make me feel like I've made real changes.

barbygirl43 03-18-2008 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiberlover (Post 2105330)
I measure success in a lot of ways.

By the change in body measurements
By the change in the scale number
By how my clothes fit
By how I feel
By how well I am sticking with my plan

Very well said and fits me to a T!

traci in training 03-18-2008 01:01 PM

I think I find happiness in all kinds of ways I didn't imagine when I started. How much more energy I have, finding out that I can run AND I LIKE IT, discovering long lost bones, shopping wherever I want instead of the fat stores. The scale is the black and white measurement, but it's all those little things that I measure success with on a daily basis. It's the little things way more than the scale that keep me going.

fiberlover 03-18-2008 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traci in training (Post 2105795)
discovering long lost bones, .

LOL - I love how you put that :D

Beverlyjoy 03-18-2008 05:58 PM

I love this thread!

My main measure of sucess is my willingness to try.

It started out for me to get my triglycerides down to a normal number (so far they have gone from 507 to 176 - with under 150 good. * I am almost there). Getting my lab numbers better was a big measure of sucess for me.

Since I can't check my own lab numbers that often, I started to focus on the scale - that "kept me going for a while". I can have very disordered approach to weighing - like eating only certain foods the day before or eating foods that are natural diuretics the day before I weigh. So - I am slowly changing that behavior to being willing to get on the scale and just weight without any shinanigans. That's a wonderful measure of sucess for me.

In the last almost 6 monthes it has transitioned into my sucess being measured by my "sanity" with food. I've had fewer and fewer binges or times of overeating. The scale goes down on it's own terms and sometimes it doesn't go down when I think it should and I deserve it. I have learned to be willing to mostly go right back to sane, thoughtful and healthful eating if I do overeat - that is a huge measure of sucess for me.

I measure my sucess by learning how to meditate and willingness to make it part of my daily life - this helps deal with stress which has always triggered out of control eating.

Of course - I LOVE it that my clothes are all too big and folks have started to notice, too. :)

Nori71 03-18-2008 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiberlover
I measure success in a lot of ways.

By the change in body measurements
By the change in the scale number
By how my clothes fit
By how I feel
By how well I am sticking with my plan

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulBliss (Post 2105418)
Yeah, what she said!!! :carrot:

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbygirl43
Very well said and fits me to a T!

EXACTLY! If I'm sticking to the plan, I see and feel the results and the success cycle continues.

Healthy Mama 03-19-2008 12:12 AM

I'm a scale addict but I also measure weekly and that's where the real payoff is for me. That and fitting (and shrinking out of) the smallest clothes in my closet!

Lyn2007 03-19-2008 01:45 PM

Really, for me the scale is pretty important, because I am in chronic pain from my knees. And every pound gone is, in my mind, a step towards healing and a less painful life. I mean, even if I was totally healthy otherwise and looking fantastic, I have got to get this weight off or I will end up crippled.

But, that said, I also count my days on plan (green x's), measurements, and how I feel overall. This is a lifetime commitment for me.