Old 03-11-2008, 08:42 AM   #1  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Default how to avoid high fructose corn syrup

interesting...

http://www.wikihow.com/Avoid-High-Fructose-Corn-Syrup

any comments?

have you tried to cut back? if so, how has it helped?
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:47 AM   #2  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I do try to avoid it whenever possible. It's hard to know if that in itself made any difference, but it certainly makes you eat more unprocessed foods.
Surprising where it shows up, like in breads, sauces, dressings.

On an overall level, the less sugar you have, the less you crave it.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:00 AM   #3  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I've read about the possible links between too much sugar and the weakening of the arterial walls. HFCS is another form of sugar, so I try to avoid it as much as possible. However, almost everything that isn't whole food has added HFCS. Its really sad.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:05 AM   #4  
agility-nut

S/C/G: 258/see ticker/170

Height: 5'9

I will avoid High frustose at any cost. I just bought an 8 pack of G2 gaderade, thinking it was good for after a good workout. I got it home and read that the 2 ingredent is Hight frustose syrup. I had already drank one, so cant return it. But the rest is going right down the drain!
Janis427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:02 AM   #5  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I was thinking that yogart was a healthy snack - until my hubby pointed out all the HFCS in it... But I found that the organic ones do not have HFCS (like Stoneyfield) And they taste better! And dannon does an all Natural one now - if I can ever find a flovor other than vanilla...

Anyways, I don't understand why somethings even NEED to be sweeted - like iced tea. I like it plain. But they either shove HFCS in it or artificial sweetners (which I don't like and am also trying to avoid).
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #6  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

Well, I for one understand sweetened iced tea... I'm from the South. It's the drink of choice! However, I usually always sweetened mine with artificial sweeteners (a habit I picked up from my parents who never drank the syrupy stuff). About a year ago I transitioned to just drinking it unsweetened with a little lemon and actually prefer it that way now... but that's a really hard transition for some people to make.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't buy anything with HFCS in it. I found it is fairly easy to avoid. I avoid sugar and sweeteners in general though although some products I do buy have them in it. They are what I would call occasional items though.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

I don't find it hard to avoid HFCS at all. But, then, I don't eat much processed food, and the processed food I do eat is made with natural, high quality ingredients. Trader Joes sells a lot of food without bad ingredients like HFCS and trans fats.
BattleAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:19 PM   #9  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

It's the same for me as many here...Its easy for me to avoid because whole foods don't have crap in them!

I LOVE Trader Joe's!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:34 PM   #10  
Vegetarian Cal Counting

S/C/G: 269/Ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

I miss Trader Joes and Whole Foods!!!! I lived in the Philly area for a few years and used to go to both. Now that I'm back in my hometown neither store is any closer then an hour and a half.
Switzie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:36 PM   #11  
Expecting baby #1! 9/7/09

S/C/G: 320.2/273.2/160

Height: 5'6"

On a side note: I have found that the Propel Invigorating Waters and other Propel beverages do not have HFCS. I am drinking one right now and it doesn't have any. I also was buying the G2 Gatorade until I noticed the HFCS. I am drinking the Citrus one and it is really good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janis427 View Post
I will avoid High frustose at any cost. I just bought an 8 pack of G2 gaderade, thinking it was good for after a good workout. I got it home and read that the 2 ingredent is Hight frustose syrup. I had already drank one, so cant return it. But the rest is going right down the drain!
blueyedlvrgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:25 AM   #12  
On the Trail

S/C/G: 270/230/220

Height: 5'11"

To the best of my knowledge, I don't eat anything with high fructose corn syrup in it. I also try to avoid all foods with sugar in them (with the occasional cheat for ice cream). I sweeten just about everything with honey or agave nectar when I crave sugar. I'm planning on buying an ice cream maker so that I can make my own frozen yogurt sweetened with honey, fruit juice or agave nectar.

ETA: I also avoid all artificial sweeteners.

Last edited by AutumnHarvest; 03-12-2008 at 03:26 AM.
AutumnHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:29 AM   #13  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I try to avoid HFCS, but I can't say whether it's made an impact on my health or how I feel since I also avoid sugar generally as well, so it's likely the reduction in caloric sweeteners overall that has made me feel better.

I went grocery shopping last night, and something I found both made me very happy and very frustrated at the same time. I found Thomas' whole grain English muffins are no longer made with HFCS. It even advertises this fact in yellow on the front of the bag--"Now made with NO high fructose corn syrup!" Hurray! I was very happy about this and began to cheer for Thomas' brand...until I grabbed a bag of their whole grain bagels and found them to still contain HFCS. Why would they remove it from one product and not the others? grr...but at least now I can buy English muffins at my regular grocery store.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:24 PM   #14  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

My hubby and I also decided few months ago that we should avoid to buy any HFCS stuff. I was very surprised that pretty much everything in the grocery store had it. I wish they would use plain old sugar instead of HFCS for any food that needs sugar. Substituting with HFCS is unhealthy. But it's all about the money to the corporate world...unfortunately they follow cheaper the better policy. We're slowly and consciously transfering our HFCS items with Non HFCS items.
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:23 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Yes, I avoid it, and added sugars in general.
I cook a lot and don't buy a lot of processed things. Anything I can make from scratch I do when I have time and I make a lot and freeze extra. It's very hard to avoid though if you don't like to do a lot of cooking!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote