3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Insults from strangers - how do you deal with it? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/136393-insults-strangers-how-do-you-deal.html)

Lyn2007 03-09-2008 07:42 PM

I had some grown men holler at me once in a parking lot. They looked maybe 20 or 22 and were riding past in a truck and shouted at me, "MOOO MOO" and "DO YOU LIKE SEX" and "FAT WHORE." I was about 6 months pregnant (and kinda fat) at the time. I was walking with my husband and I burst out in tears and got mad at him for not "doing something" about it to defend my honor. He said, "what do you want me to do?? Go over and get in a fight with them??" I didn't want that, Matter of fact he was smart not to respond, but boy did it hurt!!

I don't know what's wrong with people.

wendymeows 03-09-2008 09:20 PM

I'm sorry you had to put up with that. I guess we all have to at certain times. My daughter is 11 and when her and a friend got into a fight, her friend told her that when we went to the beach in the summer, the whales started singing "We Are Family" when they saw me! It hurt my feelings and ticked me off. Plus this girls mom and I have both off and on done weight watchers so you would think she would be more sensitive than that. Oh well, yet another reason for me to drop some pounds...it's bad enough if it's said to me but my daughter should not have to hear it too.

THE Heather 03-09-2008 10:11 PM

I've been lucky enough to deal with absolutely morons when it comes to getting insults. The last real blatant insult to my face I got was last year at a concert...I was laying on the ground because it's hot out and I was trying to cool down under a tree. Two guys who looked to be about 17....walked by. One said, "Look at the beached whale!" and then his friend added "mooooo". I'm usually passive about these things, but in this instant I just simply said, "I may be fat, but you can't cure stupid. Whale's don't moo dumb@$$."

I know that sometimes having something else to say to them fuels their fire, but in that instance, they were immediately shut up.

pamatga 03-11-2008 05:35 PM

I love TheHeather's response about whales.....

That is what we all wish we could do. Give it right back!

I would like to say that people become more sensitive with age (and weight) but some people never outgrow their immature and stupid ways. Unfortunately, the rest of us have to suffer with that.

I have no other retort to add. I have been the end of the worst possible putdowns. One of the worse was when this alcoholic neighbor guy of my parents came over when I was visiting my parents. He was always obnoxious but this particular night I sat down in one of my parents' lawn chairs and it broke! He roared!! Later, he said, "Let's go out to eat! I am willing to pay just to see you eat!"

Needless to say, karma smacked him a good one! He married someone (with my same name??) and she left him within a few months. I wonder how much crow he is eating now???

As for me, I have a loving and sweet husband.... "living (and loving) well is the best revenge....."

BrokenButterfly 03-11-2008 10:39 PM

I think they should know better, but that said, walking away was the right thing..

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE Heather (Post 2092232)
I just simply said, "I may be fat, but you can't cure stupid. Whale's don't moo dumb@$$."

haha..I just had to say that brought a smile to my face. Hilarious :lol: See, I wish I could be that clever on the spot. Id probably just throw a string of curse words out.

Which I have done over the years, Im sure. I've had to deal with insults all growing up. I had the unfortuante role of being tallest girl and the biggest girl every single year..add to the fact that I wasnt very popular, and yah, a nightmare. I remember one boy following me home going "boom, boom, boom" with each step I took. I cant really remember how old I was, but I sure remember him.

SwimGirl 03-13-2008 04:10 PM

This thread came to mind last night when my bf and I were out to dinner with his niece and his parents. Out of no where our niece asks my bf why his cheeks are red - I answered, mostly because I put something on his skin that he had an allergic reaction to, causing his skin to get super red. And then she said "is that why you have things all over your face".. this was referring to the fact that he's dealing with some really bad adult acne. I would have been insulted, he won't talk about it, but of course it bothers him. She's 9 almost 10, and she doesn't know better. I don't think it's fair to assume that a 10 year old would know better about weight unless it's something their parents told them.

Schmoodle 03-13-2008 04:19 PM

SwimGirl, I know you're right, some kids that age don't know better, but by 9YO they should. I've got a 9YO and 11YO and believe me they know better than to make a comment about somebody's appearance, unless they plan on giving a compliment. I don't think either one of them would ever say something hurtful, but of course, how can we know everything they do when we're not around. but if they ever did something like that in my presence, believe me, they would regret it.

Trazey34 03-13-2008 05:25 PM

I can't say I've ever had people get in my face and say something blatantly MOO related! maybe cuz i'm tall and they think I'd CLOCK them in the head hehehehe But I'm all about the humour, I'd say something wiseass I'm sure -- My favourite being WHALES DON'T MOO, DUMBA$$ hhahaha classic!

ElayneRae 03-13-2008 05:48 PM

Wow. Im sorry you had to deal with that. It's really hard to shake that from your mind.

I would have done the same thing you did, but it would be great to do something they would remember. Girls that age are trying so hard to fit in and be cool. They know what they said was mean, but I dont think they realize the effect it can have on someone. It would be pretty easy to embarass them into not doing that again. That said, I know I would have been too shocked to say anything at the time.

betty grrl 03-13-2008 07:05 PM

Oh I could write a book on this subject! I work in Home Care (as a Nurses aide), and trust me the amount of elderly people I care for...some are 1x only they can sure make a girl feel down. Whether it's an under their breathe comment like "look at that tukas" are tapping my bottom and smiling. I've actually had a lady pray for me in another language (I wouldn't have known but the son told me why she was praying).

About the kids...I was walking to work once (the place I had to go to wasn't too far). And these little kids yelled out their window Hey you fatso! Well, inside of feeling like sh#t I went to the house and rang the doorbell. No one answered but those kids looked scared (I could see them hiding through the front window)!! I said in a loud voice so I knew they would hear me 'i'll be back later when your parents are home". I didn't go to their house later on. I think I really did scare them because they sure didn't say anything like that to me again!!!

cinderpa 03-13-2008 10:20 PM

I probably would have said " I'm sorry that you have very low self-esteem about yourself, because it is a proven fact that people who feel the need to put others down, do not feel good about themselves. I really do think that is true. I can understand your hurt and anger over it but try to look at it that way.

pipernoswiper 03-13-2008 10:42 PM

depending on what end of the bipolar pendulum i was swinging on that day.......well i don't know, i might be sitting in jail.......i'm joking of course....kinda. :p

sorry that happened to you but try to turn the hurt and anger into something good. use it as fuel to fire up your weight loss plan. :)

SoulBliss 03-13-2008 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xGurlyGrlx (Post 2089643)
I don't blame the boy at all. I know why he asked and it was because his father is a vegan and tells his children that meat makes people fat.

Not all vegans are that way, I assure you! It's not a vegan sentiment, by the way, it's an ignorant one.

I'm vegan and fat (I've been vegan for many many years too, it's not a new development) and my DH is vegan too (he's in great shape). That man is just ignorant and misinformed! No one thing "makes" people fat, as we all know.

xGurlyGrlx 03-14-2008 01:27 AM

SoulBliss - Yes, I do know all vegans do not believe that. I would agree that he is an ignorant vegan. :D I wanted to make a point that children sometimes say things that can be hurtful because of what their parents have taught them. I don't think he would have questioned my weight had his father not been obsessed with being fat himself. I feel very sorry for the kids. They are actually dealing with an issue with their youngest daughter (4) not wanting to eat....at all. He has been talking about certain foods making people fat her whole life and I wouldn't doubt that is the reason she doesn't want to eat anything. Anyway, that is a whole long story for another time. :dizzy:

"I may be fat, but you can't cure stupid. Whale's don't moo dumb@$$." :lol3: Classic! They set it up perfectly for you!