Wanna play "Good News/Bad News"?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I had some labwork done last week, with mixed results:

Okay, first the good news:
    All my lipid panel tests (cholesterol, triglycerides, etc) are well within normal range.

Now the bad news:
    My fasting blood sugar was 130. Not through the roof, but not great either. I'm not surprised--a woman of my size with a family history of Type II--it was bound to happen.

I have an appointment with my cardiologist Friday to discuss my results and possible treatment plans. I hope, hope, hope that THIS will finally be the catalyst to get my butt in gear and get healthy again.

I really need your support, chicks.
  • bad news is really what you make of it. Think of it as the best news possible for getting on track. It`s a great way to start working towards health.

I felt like that when they put me on Lantus shots - long acting insulin - I hated the shots, but it was a great motivator to get my sugar back under control and get off the needles. I`ve been slipping - my sugar is up again, but since I am starting my journey fresh again today, I know I will get off them again soon.

I started a daily check-in support thread, feel free to come over and talk anytime.

We can do this!
  • I had blood work results this week, too.

The Good News is...my blood sugar is still in the normal range (even though the doctor seems to expect it NOT to be every time I have a test done--shows what he knows!). Plus, I'm 10 pounds lighter than the last time I was there! WOOHOO!!!!!!

The Bad News is...my cholesterol is still higher than what it should be, but it's much lower than what it used to be. So is that actually good news?
  • I'd say that's good news Dorys--progress!!
  • Jen, you can do it! My mother had a higher fasting glucose level, lost weight and the numbers came back into the normal range.

Write down the number you want your glucose level to be at for the next test - and post it on your fridge.
  • Hi Jen,

I think there just comes a time. I am still waiting for my time and kick in the pants. I have been tryng and stopping for over 4 years now. I believe it will happen for you. I think if you take apart what you need to do to get the levels right and start one thing at a time it might be the trick. I have been looking at that for months now and can see if I tackle things slowly it just might be the change I was looking for.

Last spring I had a doctor tell me with my blood pressure I would be dead in 20 years....nice eh? Considering I would not even be retired and able to begin enjoyig my real life (hehe) instead of working...it should of been the wake up call. It kind of was actually but I got side tracked my some serious health issues and a huge emotional break up. I think I am past all that save for the small cold I am trying to kill off.

My point is try a few small things at a time and see if it helps and sparks other things to happen for you as well.
  • Yay for the good news. As for the not so good, you've been given some great advice about what to do now that you've been given that information.
  • Hey Jen, Just wanted to add in my support
  • Jen...yay for the good news!

As for the bad....it's something you CAN change!
    I KNOW you can do it, gorgeous woman!

Visualize the feeling of going back for tests next time, and having the results be MUCH more positive!

Linda
  • I would say GREAT news that your cholestrol is numbers are all within normal range. From what I understand the blood sugar can be fully reversed with weight loss. You can do it!!
  • Glad you got some good news. I would def use the bad news as maybe a start to a healthier you. You can do it!!
  • Jen, you most certainly have my full support.
  • I often say that diabetes was the best thing that ever happened to me. 2 years ago, almost to the day, I got the diagnosis. Tears of frustration followed and a great deal of stress with my lifestyle but thanks to that diagnosis, I lost 102 pounds. Every time I wanted to eat a carbohydrate, I told myself, it's this or your foot, this or your sight. It really helped. Let it motivate you, you can control this...
  • Thanks everyone--this has given me much better perspective on the situation.

It definitely looks like low-carb eating will be the best for me to help get my number back in line. My main weakness in life is SUGAR, so it will definitely be a challenge!

Thanks for all your support! Any helpful suggestions are most welcome!
  • Quote: Thanks everyone--this has given me much better perspective on the situation.

It definitely looks like low-carb eating will be the best for me to help get my number back in line. My main weakness in life is SUGAR, so it will definitely be a challenge!

Thanks for all your support! Any helpful suggestions are most welcome!
    Jen, sugar is a challenge for most of us. It's evil, evil, evil and I recently heard from someone that they read an article saying that if sugar were discovered today, that it would be classified as a drug.

I know this sounds hard to believe, but once you elminate it, after a difficult 10 days - 2 weeks, maybe less, you will be shocked at how much better you feel and how much less, if at all, your desire for it will be. SHOCKED. In fact I truly think you will wonder why in the world you didn't do it earlier.

So though it may be challenging in the begining, I KNOW this is something you can do. I know if for sure.