Old 03-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Default Can a mental block turn into a weight stall?

You know how sometimes we have a "mental block" about reaching a certain weight... maybe getting under 200 or some other magic number? I have a very hard time visualizing myself in the 230's. It seems so surreal I can hardly imagine it (having been over that number for 10+ years). Do you think a mental block can actually cause your weight to stall even if you stay on program?

I know some folks subconsciously overeat to avoid losing below a certain number for emotional/protective reasons. But what if you are staying 100% on program, eating right and exercising? Do you think your mind can affect you to the point of not losing weight?
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #2  
Kerry ~ TBL Red Team!

S/C/G: 236/194.6/135

Height: 5'4"

I believe so, yes.

I don't know if it's mental or not.... or physical, but in my case my sticky weight is 202lbs. When I got pregnant with my eldest I was 202lbs. When I got pregnant with my youngest (after getting down to 174 and then up to 215) I was at 202lbs.... lol.

I get STUCK there every time I try and lose weight. It's really hard to push through. Another weight I get stuck at is 215 and then also 228. If you were at a specific weight for a long time... your body is comfortable there, so I personally feel like you 'pause' there because your body thinks.... 'ahhhh'... and settles into it like a comfy chair.

I always find I have to push harder and it takes a week or two longer to get past it.

That's probably more physical than mental though? Or is it all just in the head?? I totally believe though that mental blocks will stall weight loss... at least for perhaps a week or so. Eventually if you're doing everything right your body is just going to have to let go and move on regardless as to what your head is thinking.

MamaToTomAndAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:29 PM   #3  

The more I think about it, I wonder if my mental block is affecting my eating more than I realized. I am still staying under 1500 calories but for the last few days I have been eating more pasta, bread products, and grains and far fewer fruits and vegetables. Perhaps the mental block is turning into actual self sabotage after all. Hmmmm...
Old 03-03-2008, 09:25 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2007 View Post
The more I think about it, I wonder if my mental block is affecting my eating more than I realized. I am still staying under 1500 calories but for the last few days I have been eating more pasta, bread products, and grains and far fewer fruits and vegetables. Perhaps the mental block is turning into actual self sabotage after all. Hmmmm...
Well I think the lady's got it! Lyn, I must tell you, I GREATLY admire the fact that you are able to delve into "issues", figure them out, which all boils down to the fact that you are so brutally honest with yourself. It's so vital if we're ever going to be successful - vital -and extremely difficult.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:00 PM   #5  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

OMG, yes.
Totally.

Try some visualization. Visualizing the scale. Visualizing yourself at that place. You can do it.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:53 PM   #6  

Thanks

As badly as I wanted pizza tonight, I told myself that if I want pizza so bad, I better get to work because I've got some weight to lose. Then maybe it can be a planned indulgence, like the Italian restaurant was.

I upped my bike ride to 16 minutes today, made a plan to begin strength training on Wednesday, and I am going to do some 230's visualization when I am in bed tonight trying to fall asleep.