Is it a good idea to drink water, even if your full?

• I've been told both it's good and bad for you. I've heard that if you drink it even on a full stomach it will move the food in there from the walls of your stomach and get it to the middle of your stomach, and thus easier to pass....
    I have no idea if I should believe this or not.
  • If you are full, I don't see why you would want to drink the water LOL! Wait a bit and then drink.
    I have heard a lot of different things about water, including not to drink a lot while you are eating as it dilutes stomach acids. Who knows what is really accurate anymore?? I just space out my water during the day.
  • I think it makes sense to just listen to your body's signals. If you're full, you're full. Don't have anything else.

The digestive system will work just fine on its own.
  • I don't think I've ever heard that before... besides our stomachs are big mixing grounds of acid.

I wouldn't force it. If you're full, just sip on the water later on
  • I think you might be overthinking it.

Drink water if you are thirsty. Drink it if you want it. I sometimes want water even if I'm full of food, just because I need the drink/moisture in my mouth. So I sip on it.

If you don't want it, don't need the "wet" and are feeling too full to drink, then don't.

MOstly just listen to your body.

• I have set a min amount of water to drink a day - if I'm really thristy - I'll go over that. I drink my water at room temp - I heard it's better for digestion (plus it goes down better for me.)

How much are you drinking a day?
  • I like to drink water when I'm eating a heavier meal when eating out to help me feel full faster.

My biggest problem is eating the big meal first (usually high in fat and calories if eating out) and then I feel icky later.

If I drink water as I eat when dining out, then I tend to not finish my meal

But as people said, go with your body - if you feel full, drinking too much water afterwards will just make you feel ill.
  • Quote: I have set a min amount of water to drink a day - if I'm really thristy - I'll go over that. I drink my water at room temp - I heard it's better for digestion (plus it goes down better for me.)

How much are you drinking a day?
    thanks for the responses all. I think I drink enough. I drink coffee in the morning mainly. I drink about 3 glasses in the afternoon. At home I will drink maybe another 2 glasses and maybe a glass of silk soymilk
  • I think if you are full and then drink a bunch of water, you are stretching your stomach. For me, I know when I am not binging, after awhile my stomach shrinks and I physically cannot eat as much. So for me, full is full and I don't want to stretch it.
  • I have no idea what the water would do on a full stomach, but when I start wondering about these kinds of issues, I start doing some serious research to find out from the medical/scientific community. I don't always understand it, but sometimes there's some great info out there, if you learn how to look for it.

Yeah, I'm kind of a geek...
  • I would say no. If your full dont drink the water. But Im no medical expert either.
  • Quote:
    I drink my water at room temp - I heard it's better for digestion (plus it goes down better for me.)
    When I was doing WW (not anymore) the leader would always tell us to drink ice cold water because the body would have to work to warm it up to be digested. She seemed to think it would burn more calories.

I just try to get my water, period! It can be hard to drink ice cold water. Just thought I would share.
  • blech!!! Room temperature water!?! ugh ugh ugh!

I love my water FREEZING COLD... the more ice cubes the better! And I don't care HOW it might "affect my diet"...

I'm one of those freaks who LOVE water--- it's basically the only thing I drink. I'll have a small can of diet pop or a fruit juice here or there... but I LOVE my water. It's gotta be cold though... otherwise I won't drink it!

funny how all of us are so different!
  • I, too, prefer my water at room temp - especially if it is cold outside! I tend to get really cold and get too chilled if I have ice water. In the summertime, though, I am all about the ice water.

As for drinking when you are full...hmm...I am with the others when they say listen to your body. I tend to believe whoever it was that said to drink 20 minutes or so before you eat to help you feel full faster. Whatever works!
  • I don't think its ever bad not to have water...if your full I would just sip it though so you don't stretch the stomach.